PDA

View Full Version : Bike pictures and descriptions?

Ultralight
9-9-15, 11:22am
Hey, I am at the office at the moment but I will take a pic of my bike when I get off work and put the costs and specs of it on here.

But I am curious if others would share pics of their bikes, ways they saved costs on buying it or modifying it, how much commuting you do with it, etc. Really, any facts about how you bike instead of drive and why you have the bike you do with be interesting.

Thanks!

ctg492
9-10-15, 4:03am
I bike, in a perfect world I would never have to drive. I live in MI three miles from town and have ridden up to 3,800 miles a year. Winter requires snow treads. I have too many assorted bikes for various riding conditions. I was very focused two years in driving as little as possible. I am not so hard on myself now about that.

I get mostly every accessory off eBay and I have way to many. I found that good panniers are needed. I have a nice set that I can put a cooler in that transports cold groceries well. I like a trunk to carry all the needed items like repair, tools, locks, rain gear(getting stuck in the rain is bad). I never leave without all those items. I also carry mace and a large air horn, the horn is my first line of defense against dogs. I use rechargeable lights front and back always and a helmet. I love my helmet covers, I have several styles. Water bottle is always taken. Mirror is on every bike. Clothing, though I do not do the spandex biker look, I do in the warm weather generally wear my running clothes. Winter I have every accessory available I think. I would rather remove a layer then be without in MI. I have after trying too many, a nice iPhone holder on handle bar. I use my phone for maps and radar, gripe when I get call. A good Bike Mechanic is always needed for me, youtube only can teach me so much. Large front basket did not work for me as it through the balance off. Trailer did not work for me for two reasons, one I live on a big hill and when trailer was loaded with groceries it was just to heavy for me. Second I felt like a bag woman.

I have a few Treks and two Detroit Bikes. The Detroit A and B styles are internal 3 speed hubs. I had never ridden an internal hub before and now I am hooked. I need more then 3 speeds however, so my next bike expenditure is a Shimano 8i.

I do not live a in a bike lane area. Defensive biking is how I have to ride with eye contact with drivers essential. Last month running I kept my eyes focused on a driver who never returned the eye contact and he knocked me down as I jumped out of way.

Ultralight
9-10-15, 9:00am
ctg492:

Excellent info! Thanks!

ctg492
9-11-15, 3:56am
I forgot to add, I wear a RoadID wrist band always. Hubby calls it my Death bracelet. I also have for when I am lazy, too much wind, already rode a long ways and forgot something, an electric hub and lithium battery pack. I have a Hill Topper kit and love it, have had this system for 5 years now. I hopped on yesterday afternoon because I had ridden 24 miles in the morning and then the wind came up and I needed something back in town. It is not a full power electric bike or scooter, but like it advertises an assist.

dmc
9-11-15, 8:15am
I have a Klein, remember those. It hangs from the ceiling in the garage. It's been there since we moved a year ago and will most likely stay there.

Tussiemussies
9-11-15, 8:31am
I just read an article on the benefits of biking. I am so out of shape, I want to start biking for enjoyment and the health benefits. I would like to start off with an electric bike but we just cannot afford it....

nswef
9-11-15, 12:01pm
I keep thinking I would like to bike. I remember sailing up and down hills as a child in the Pgh. suburbs, but the last time I was on a bike, about 2 years ago I was so frightened and wobbly I decided it is not for me any more. It doesn't help that we live in a hilly, no shoulder area so I would want to transport the bike to a flatter safer area. So I walk.

Tussiemussies
9-11-15, 12:31pm
I keep thinking I would like to bike. I remember sailing up and down hills as a child in the Pgh. suburbs, but the last time I was on a bike, about 2 years ago I was so frightened and wobbly I decided it is not for me any more. It doesn't help that we live in a hilly, no shoulder area so I would want to transport the bike to a flatter safer area. So I walk.

Hi nswef,

I think they make bikes for adults that are three wheelers, two wheels in the back and one in the front, for stability. I am hoping when we are elderly we will be able to afford these...maybe that would help stabilize you?

Tammy
9-11-15, 12:57pm
Between age 19 and about 45 I didn't ride bike at all. When I started up again I felt wobbly - even on a big beach cruiser sitting upright and easy to handle compared to other bikes. I regained my balance quickly - after only a few rides. I've had a few different bikes the last few years, ending with an 8 inch wheeled folding bike. Talk about wobbly! That was a huge learning curve. It's almost like a skate board in how it handles. Super responsive but also super easy to fall. But I've totally adjusted and I love it. I can go around the tightest corners fast. So much fun.

They say things that make us balance delays the decline of old age. :)

Ultralight
9-11-15, 1:01pm
Between age 19 and about 45 I didn't ride bike at all. When I started up again I felt wobbly - even on a big beach cruiser sitting upright and easy to handle compared to other bikes. I regained my balance quickly - after only a few rides. I've had a few different bikes the last few years, ending with an 8 inch wheeled folding bike. Talk about wobbly! That was a huge learning curve. It's almost like a skate board in how it handles. Super responsive but also super easy to fall. But I've totally adjusted and I love it. I can go around the tightest corners fast. So much fun.

They say things that make us balance delays the decline of old age. :)

This is good news to me, because I have done very little cycling from age 25 - 35.

nswef
9-11-15, 7:49pm
Thanks tussie, I did look at those....no action of course!