PDA

View Full Version : Tea Kettle on Electric Stove vs. Microwave

RCWRTR
4-5-11, 10:34pm
Which is more cost-effective: boiling water in tea kettle on electric stove or microwaving water for hot tea? Just curious. I drink a lot of hot tea and wonder which method of heating the water will save me the most money. Any thoughts?

Gina
4-5-11, 11:44pm
I don't know the comparison to heat 1 cup vs 1 cup, but years ago I switched to using the microwave totally because I would put the water in the kettle then on the stove, and then would go on about my business until I went back to make the tea. What I like about the microwave is it turns itself off at a preset time, the stove does not. So if I didn't get back at precisely when the water came to a boil, if using the stove, an extra minute or 10 (sometimes more) would make a great difference in energy usage.

RCWRTR
4-6-11, 12:08am
That makes sense if you tend to walk away from the tea kettle, Gina. I live in an 1,100 sq. ft. villa and spend most of my day less than 15 feet from the kitchen, so I tend to not leave the kettle on the stove longer than necessary. In fact, I typically turn it off before it whistles, then keep the flapper closed to trap the heat for a second cup (with same tea bag).

bae
4-6-11, 12:41am
Heat the kettle on the wood stove :-)

RCWRTR
4-6-11, 12:46am
Well, I would do that, bae, but I don't have a wood stove. I'm in a rental property that is total electric. :(

bae
4-6-11, 1:08am
Well, I would do that, bae, but I don't have a wood stove. I'm in a rental property that is total electric. :(

Here you go then - use the electric range top, but don't put too much water in the kettle.

http://replay.waybackmachine.org/20050830211807/http://hem.dis.anl.gov/eehem/01/010512.html

RCWRTR
4-6-11, 1:20am
Thanks, bae! I will use the electric range to heat my water for tea!

IshbelRobertson
4-6-11, 4:35am
Like most British people, I use an electric kettle - have to ensure that the water is really boiling to make a good cup of tea with traditional tea-leaves rather than teabags!

Float On
4-6-11, 7:48am
I don't know the comparison to heat 1 cup vs 1 cup, but years ago I switched to using the microwave totally because I would put the water in the kettle then on the stove, and then would go on about my business until I went back to make the tea. What I like about the microwave is it turns itself off at a preset time, the stove does not. So if I didn't get back at precisely when the water came to a boil, if using the stove, an extra minute or 10 (sometimes more) would make a great difference in energy usage.

I'm the opposite, if I put a cup of water in the microwave I go off doing my million other things and completely forget it (finding a measuring cup of water in the microwave a few days later wondering 'why is that in there??'). (totally wasted microwave usage). Leaving it in a tea kettle it stays hot and whistles at me to remind me to get back to the kitchen to get my very hot water (for my french press, I'm not much of a tea drinker anymore).

RCWRTR
4-6-11, 11:12am
Ah, thanks for reminding me of the time I spent in England, Ishbel. I concur re: boiling water and loose tea being preferable to teabags, but have been purchasing Impra brand teabags at the local discount grocery store as I can't find a cheaper alternative for tea. They cost approximately 50% less than Lipton teabags and almost 80% less than Twinings teabags. Do you know of any inexpensive/discount brands of loose tea and where I might find them? I particularly like a robust black English breakfast tea.

I loved my 4 cup red clay Brown Betty tea pot and electric kettle, by the way. I wonder which is more energy efficient: traditional tea kettle on electric range or electric tea kettle? As I recall, my electric kettle heated water more quickly than I could heat it on an electric stove in a traditional kettle. It had an automatic shut-off, too.

RCWRTR
4-6-11, 11:23am
I love coffee made in my Bodum brand 3 cup Chambord traditional French press, but I find that I don't use it as much as I thought I would. I have trouble cleaning it due to arthritis in my hands. As such, I either use my automatic drip coffeemaker (and make either 4 or 8 cups at a time) or make a kettle of water for hot tea. Lately, I've been drinking more and more hot tea. I drink more coffee in the fall and winter months than I do in spring and summer months, but I drink tea (hot and iced) all year round.

domestic goddess
4-6-11, 12:38pm
I also use an electric tea kettle to make my tea. I don't think they use a lot of energy, but have no idea how to compare stove tops, microwaves, electric tea kettles. It would be interesting, I think, to find out what the costs are.
I don't really like using the microwave to heat water for tea. It seems to cool off so quickly, and I am a person who really only likes lukewarm drinks. But water for tea has to be hot enough to brew it, so sometimes I have to let it cool for a while.

RCWRTR
4-6-11, 12:49pm
I, too, prefer not to use the microwave to heat water for tea. It does seem to cool off so quickly. I also don't like that mugs get so hot in the microwave if the water in them is heated to piping hot, so I end up heating water in a different container, then pour it into the mug. It's all a bit too complicated for my liking.

freein05
4-6-11, 12:49pm
We use a Bodum to heat the water. My wife drinks tea and I drink filter coffee. I use a Melita # 2 filter for my coffee. Our Bodum uses 1500 watts at 110 volts. It only takes about 30 to 45 seconds to heat enough water. (2 to 3 cups) We too have an electric stove and have fond the Bodum to be far faster and less costly then heating the water on the stove.

RCWRTR
4-6-11, 12:54pm
Freein05 -- This is the Bodum Chambord French press that I use: http://www.bodumusa.com/shop/line.asp?MD=1&GID=3&LID=10&CHK=&SLT=&mscssid=34FN2THV3XMU9MHM6N2UEQSRGBUV17UD

I'm guessing that your Bodum is an electric tea kettle of some sort?

Gina
4-6-11, 12:54pm
It was my impression that microwaves use less power because they only directly heat the water, not the container it's 'cooked' in. Of course there will be heat transfer over time. I do not heat the water in a cup however, but a separate container in which I also brew the tea. When it's ready, I pour the tea into my pre-heated cup.

I found I prefer using the microwave by experience, not just energy considerations. It fits better into my more 'walk-about' life-style. And, yes, sometimes I have to heat the water twice. But that's better than burning the bottom of a stove-top kettle which I've done.

I'm also pretty picky about tea. Gotta be quality water brought to an actual boil, the tea is good-quality loose, and brewing is timed.

I never order tea in a restaurant here in Cali because all you get is a horrid brew - an inferior bag of Lipton tossed into bad-tasting, luke warm tap water. It bears no relation to a really nice up of tea. If that is the only tea people have tasted, no wonder there aren't more tea drinkers here in the US.

Think I'll brew a nice cup now. http://www.simplelivingforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=141&d=1294381296

RCWRTR
4-6-11, 12:59pm
I think there's a lot of really bad coffee and a lot of bad tea in this world. I live quite frugally with very few luxuries and I aspire to live even more frugally, but I must draw the line at drinking really bad coffee and tea on a regular basis, as good coffee and tea are two of life's most simple pleasures for me.

freein05
4-6-11, 1:07pm
I use the Bodum Electric Water Kettle. http://www.bodumusa.com/shop/line.asp?MD=1&GID=52&LID=740&HID=5500-913US&CHK=&SLT=&mscssid=34FN2THV3XMU9MHM6N2UEQSRGBUV17UD Take a look it may be a better choice than the the stove or microwave.

I agree I love my coffee and my wife loves her tea.

RCWRTR
4-6-11, 1:09pm
Thanks, Freein05!

mira
4-6-11, 2:05pm
You can get a little electricity meter thing that you plug in to the mains that tells you how much energy you're using. You could give that a whirl if you really want to compare. Electric kettles are the norm here, so I can't really offer any other advice.

RCWRTR
4-6-11, 2:19pm
Fascinating, Mira. I didn't know such a thing even existed!

Glo
4-9-11, 4:59am
I use loose tea and tea bags. I love my electric pot. It brings the water to a full boil and does it quickly.

Mrs-M
3-11-12, 2:20pm
Electric kettle in our house. Wouldn't have it any other way, particularly, because I love the process of using a kettle to boil. I take pleasure in (and love) processes, so the lead-up to making tea using a kettle, provides me with a sense of old-fashioned tradition.

Tradd
3-11-12, 3:55pm
I love my electric kettle, as it's auto shut-off!

iris lily
3-11-12, 4:33pm
I remember when I was a kid, my mom used a whistling tea kettle. Not for tea, but for coffee--they drank instant coffee. I like the sound of that whistle!

IshbelRobertson
3-11-12, 6:34pm
I remember those whistling kettles when I was a girl - but since the 60s, most British homes use elecric kettles.

Mighty Frugal
3-14-12, 10:14pm
Our new electric kettle whistles...well not exactly whistles..sounds more like someone is holding an accordion on its side and releases half of it...

Our old one whistled...God I miss that kettle

RCWRTR
3-14-12, 10:56pm
I purchased a Copco Fusion Tea Kettle last week and absolutely love it. It is the best tea kettle I have ever owned, which says a lot since I've had at least a half a dozen tea kettles over the years. I have had so many poor experiences with previous tea kettles made by OXO and even Calphalon, so I was a bit reluctant to purchase the Copco Fusion Tea Kettle when I read rather mixed reviews for it online. My new tea kettle is a 2.0 quart tea kettle that has a two-tone design, with stainless steel on the top half and charcoal grey porcelain enamel on steel on the bottom half. It has no flapper, but has a dripless spout with a small steel ball bearing between two small screens in the pour spout. It has a nice audible whistle that is soft, not harsh. My favorite thing about my new tea kettle is that the stainless steel and porcelain enamel on steel finish because not only is it pretty, but it is fingerprint resistant! Because I keep my tea kettle on top of my stove and I have an open-concept kitchen in my new loft, this was really important to me. So many of the tea kettles I looked at were magnets for fingerprints.