PDA

View Full Version : Digital Recognition software?

Spartana
4-6-11, 3:05pm
I heard that Google is going to start using some kind of digital facial recognition software available to everyone that will scan the faces of any online photo and put a name to that face (assuming you have a photo of you with your name anywhere else on the internet - like on Facebook or a pic your friend posted somewhere or just a random pic that had your name attached to it). This sounds EXTREMELY invasive to me. I know that I already hate the fact that I have no control over where my image is posted, and know photos of me in a group will get posted on someone else's Facebook account or elsewhere - often times with my name on it. I absolutely hate that but would hate it more if ANYONE ON THE PLANET could get my name from any random photo. I don't know much about how this stuff all works as I am currently just learning how to scan photos, e-mail photos, post photos online, and how to use a digital camera but is it true? How do you deal with your photos spread hither and yon on the internet without your consent - short of never having a photo online? I know I ask people not to post pics of me without my permission but sometimes it's by people I don't even know.

JaneV2.0
4-6-11, 3:29pm
I must have been prescient, because I've been dodging cameras all my life. Unless that KATU news clip from 1965 surfaces, I should be OK.

This is an interesting development. It's obvious that the idea of privacy is but a quaint notion from an earlier time, but still...