PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for using jalapeņo peppers

razz
9-18-15, 11:55am
For the first time I made red pepper jelly which turned out quite tasty. However, I bought what I thought was a small plate of jalapeņo peppers to make 1/2 cup of diced hot peppers. I have 8 left over. Never having used jalapeņos before, I have no idea what to do with them. I am looking for ideas for recipes that are not too hot to taste, can be frozen as my meals are made for me to have over a few days. I usually have one serving today, another two days later and then freeze two portions for another week. What would you do?

Ultralight
9-18-15, 12:01pm
For the first time I made red pepper jelly which turned out quite tasty. However, I bought what I thought was a small plate of jalapeņo peppers to make 1/2 cup of diced hot peppers. I have 8 left over. Never having used jalapeņos before, I have no idea what to do with them. I am looking for ideas for recipes that are not too hot to taste, can be frozen as my meals are made for me to have over a few days. I usually have one serving today, another two days later and then freeze two portions for another week. What would you do?

Stuff them with cheese, batter them, and deep fry!

kib
9-18-15, 12:10pm
Yum, poppers are delicious! The hottest part of the peppers is the pith, the white part inside. The seeds are also pretty hot. If you remove that, jalapenos are a lot less potent. I have a recipe that calls to split them lengthwise, remove the innards, stuff with blue cheese, top with bread crumbs and broil, if you don't want to deep fry them. I'd think you could prep this ahead of time and freeze, then pop in the broiler or oven when ready to eat. More like an hors d'ouvre but all that cheese is probably enough protein for a meal if you supplement with some other side dishes or salad.

This is a slightly more complicated recipe that adds cream cheese and green onion, it's basically the same though. (I don't see a need to put the two halves back together.)

https://cookingformark.wordpress.com/2010/09/24/baked-blue-cheese-jalapeno-poppers/

JaneV2.0
9-18-15, 1:58pm
I chop up cooked bacon and mix with cream cheese. I split the jalapenos, remove the insides, and stuff cheese mixture in each half. Then I cook them to death in the oven. Some people wrap the poppers in partially-cooked bacon. There are infinite variations out there. I also have a recipe for something involving cauliflower: http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2012/09/jalapeno-cheddar-cauliflower-muffins-3.html

Ultralight
9-18-15, 2:07pm
I chop up cooked bacon and mix with cream cheese. I split the jalapenos, remove the insides, and stuff cheese mixture in each half. Then I cook them to death in the oven. Some people wrap the poppers in partially-cooked bacon. There are infinite variations out there. I also have a recipe for something involving cauliflower: http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2012/09/jalapeno-cheddar-cauliflower-muffins-3.html

Mix some chopped peppers, cream cheese, and homemade real bacon bits. Put that on a bagel as your schmear! Goooooood lawd! I bet that'd be The Yums!

TVRodriguez
9-18-15, 3:00pm
You could send them to me! I love me some jalapeņos.

TVRodriguez
9-18-15, 3:00pm
Oh, and I slice them and put them on pizza (homemade or store bought) or on naan with some cheese (any kind of cheese, really). Or add to a salad. I really do love them.

KayLR
9-18-15, 3:20pm
Saute them and add them to some soup or chili to freeze?

JaneV2.0
9-18-15, 3:57pm
I just put a couple of wrinkly ones in the chicken gumbo soup (which is now in the Instant Pot, bubbling along). Way to avoid waste, Jane!

kib
9-18-15, 6:09pm
Way to, Jane. Gumbo, a gastronomic answer to good sex.

I do agree that I think of jalapenos more like a spice than the center of a meal.

herbgeek
9-18-15, 7:40pm
I freeze mine from the garden to have over the winter- I freeze them loose on a cookie sheet then put into a freezer bag once frozen so they don't all stick together. I fermented them last year, as well as pickled them (but 8 is probably not worth the bother of pulling out all the canning gear). Have also made jalapeno jelly that I then used when making quesadillas.

razz
9-19-15, 11:18am
Thanks everyone. I am going to fun with these - got out the Havarti cheese from the freezer, have some cream cheese and will try in a stir fry.

SteveinMN
9-19-15, 8:52pm
I freeze the ones I get from friends and neighbors. Most recipes I make do not require the texture of fresh jalapeņos and they freeze pretty well as full peppers.