PDA

View Full Version : Pumpkin Shortage

LDAHL
10-6-15, 4:50pm
I understand we are looking at a pumpkin shortage this Fall due to heavy rains in central Illinois. I did not know this, but I'm hearing that in a typical year about 90% of US pumpkins are grown within a 90 mile radius of Peoria.

I'm also told that this will not significantly affect the availability of pumpkin spice lattes because of the insignificant amount of pumpkin used in their production. This also came as a surprise to me.

Still more, I am informed that certain elements in social media are now insisting that making fun of pumpkin spice lattes is an indication of sexism (as is mockery of Grey's Anatomy, Pinterest or something called Uggs).

I have no idea if any of this is true, but I heard it all in the elevator on the way up this morning. I thought about fact-checking some of it, but now I'm wondering if that wouldn't be a waste of time. Of course, now I'm kind of curious.

kib
10-6-15, 5:30pm
Wow, it's like you have crap tv without even paying for it! Aren't you lucky. ... although I admit, I didn't think there was actual pumpkin in a pumpkin spice latte, just the "pumpkin spice", like, maybe cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg, now you've got me curious. >8)

ApatheticNoMore
10-6-15, 5:45pm
Only this is from last year, pumpkin spice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeQqe0oj5Ls

sweetana3
10-6-15, 8:10pm
There have been recent whole "news" stories on the lack of pumpkin in such drinks and now they are adding it. I mean who really cares?

catherine
10-6-15, 8:19pm
FoodBabe made the Pumpkin Spice Latte a target to expose their use of chemicals in it. What they didn't have in it was pumpkin, but it seems they buckled under FoodBabe pressure and is adding it to the sauce (which probably means they'll wave a pumpkin above the pot).

http://foodbabe.com/2015/08/17/youll-never-guess-starbucks-just-announced-hint-made-happen/

kib
10-6-15, 9:05pm
Loved the clip, ANM.

JaneV2.0
10-6-15, 10:34pm
I stock up on canned pumpkin when it's on sale, so there's always pumpkin in my pumpkin lattes. (And usually a bunch of other stray ingredients, like turmeric.)

Tiam
10-7-15, 1:21am
Seems like I hear about a pumpkin shortage every year. It used to be a super cheap canned vegetable. Not anymore. It's not cheap by any means and hasn't for a few years now.

iris lilies
10-7-15, 4:53am
DH didn't get that memo about pumpkin shortages. Here is his beautiful fall 2015 crop. They are small, but gorgeous.

http://www.simplelivingforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1533&stc=1

razz
10-7-15, 6:24am
No shortage in southern Ontario. Picked up mine for $1 apiece at a roadside stand but most are pricier.

catherine
10-7-15, 7:06am
I used to put pumpkins out in the front for decorations, but lately the squirrels make a mess of them. I'm not going to bother this year.

lessisbest
10-7-15, 8:31am
I stocked up on pumpkin last week. Aldi - 89-cents per can, and I have enough for a year. I'll purchase more when they discount it after the holidays. We eat a LOT of pumpkin. It's so darn good for us, and inexpensive - why not add it to our diet all year instead of just in the fall. BTW - not all recipes require "Pumpkin Pie Spice"..... And just because something includes the spice doesn't mean it also has pumpkin in it. The same goes for Apple Pie Spice.

Footnote:
PUMPKIN PIE SPICE - (mixture may vary with brands) cinnamon, mace, allspice, nutmeg, ginger, ground cloves
APPLE PIE SPICE - Chinese and Korintje cassia cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, mace

LDAHL
10-7-15, 2:48pm
I got curious, so yesterday after work I stopped by a coffee place (not Starbucks, nothing short of eternal damnation will get me in there) and ordered a "PSL". It was dreadful. And it left a lingering taste of the sort you get after siphoning gas.

frugalone
10-7-15, 2:51pm
1. I thought this thread was a joke initially.
2. I have never had a pumpkin latte. I should probably try one!