PDA

View Full Version : Top Ten Heroes of 2015

Williamsmith
10-12-15, 5:59pm
First new thread I've started since joining here and thought I'd try to soften my reputation somewhat. So CNN has suggested ten people who will be honored December 6th for doing inspiring work.

I thought some of you would humor me and review the nominees and pick one that you believe is especially deserving of recognition. If you could reveal a little bit of why you feel especially drawn toward this person it might reflect a little of your own personality.

My choice is:
Combat veteran Sean Gobin's "Warrior Hike"
Sean helps other combat veterans walk off the war by providing supplies and equipment for extended hikes along the Appalachian Trail. This provides time and peaceful surroundings for stressed out veterans who need to work through mental issues by allowing them to be in nature and thus heal themselves.

I pretty much acted as my own Sean Gobin upon retirement from criminal investigation. My last years on the job were focused mostly on homicide investigations. The gradual stress of crime scene processing, autopsies, victimology, endless hours of overtime, court room appearances and stressful one on one interviews and interrogations of suspects took a toll on me. I spent so much time in the woods reconnecting with nature that my wife thought I had a girlfriend back there. But I healed and today almost normal. Haha.

you can find the list at CNN.com and no I don't believe half of what CNN says but they did get this one right.

Alan
10-12-15, 6:52pm
After reviewing the list, I believe they're all worthy, although I'd have added someone who put a little more of themselves on the line. I'd vote for 30 year old Army Veteran Chris Mintz who was shot 7 times while blocking the doorway at Umpqua Community College last week. He's a sheepdog and did what sheepdog do, put his life on the line to protect others. He'd have my vote.

rosarugosa
10-12-15, 7:48pm
What an inspiring group, and how in the world can one choose? These are all amazing people with enormous hearts doing wonderful things. The girl in Nepal who called home for her babysitting money to start a children's home and school really captivated me, but I can't say what she is doing has any more value than the guy helping the veterans hike the AT or the doctors treating the homeless. Thanks for providing the impetus, because that isn't anything I ever would have checked out otherwise!

Williamsmith
10-12-15, 7:51pm
I'll second that Alan. More than worthy. I hate to bring this up but just between me and you.......imagine if he would have been permitted to carry a sidearm and use it in defense of himself and others.

Williamsmith
10-12-15, 7:54pm
Rosarugosa....I think the doctor would have been my second choice because it's so close to home. I have a doctor friend of mine that opened a free clinic in our small town. It matters.

Alan
10-12-15, 8:08pm
I'll second that Alan. More than worthy. I hate to bring this up but just between me and you.......imagine if he would have been permitted to carry a sidearm and use it in defense of himself and others.I don't have to imagine it, there's plenty of historical evidence showing that mass shooters stop their rampages only when they decide to stop, or they are met with force. The earlier the force arrives, the less death and destruction.

How many victims could have been spared if he had been armed? Perhaps all!

rosarugosa
10-12-15, 8:14pm
Williamsmith: I used to work at an orthopedic rehab facility, and one of our MDs spent a lot of time working with homeless people. I just searched for him online and here's a link:
http://boston.cbslocal.com/2015/10/06/saint-of-boston-has-treated-citys-homeless-for-three-decades/
He is quite an impressive guy, although not the least bit impressed with himself. I consider myself fortunate to have worked with him.

PS: I cannot imagine any better therapy for PTSD (and lots of other conditions) than time spent in the woods. It's my therapy for life in general (although nothing quite so epic as hiking the AT). That is a stroke of genius.

Williamsmith
10-12-15, 8:35pm
Williamsmith: I used to work at an orthopedic rehab facility, and one of our MDs spent a lot of time working with homeless people. I just searched for him online and here's a link:
http://boston.cbslocal.com/2015/10/06/saint-of-boston-has-treated-citys-homeless-for-three-decades/
He is quite an impressive guy, although not the least bit impressed with himself. I consider myself fortunate to have worked with him.

PS: I cannot imagine any better therapy for PTSD (and lots of other conditions) than time spent in the woods. It's my therapy for life in general (although nothing quite so epic as hiking the AT). That is a stroke of genius.

I agree...that guy is awesome.

And on woods therapy.....I actually did a lot of stump sitting. Saw a lot of things I would have completely missed otherwise.

kib
10-12-15, 8:37pm
I think I might vote for the farmer, Richard Joyner. I think his work is not only feeding the hungry, but "teaching a man to fish" - giving a generation of people skills and experience working together toward both stable community, less unstable economy and some sense of small power over their lives. What he's doing isn't novel, but it's reaching into the future.

I like River From The Sky Bhagwati Agrawal for many of the same reasons.

freshstart
10-12-15, 8:41pm
top 3

Dr Withers

Dr Ivankovich

Bhagwati Agrawal

the first two because those are amazing feats that benefit so many. Agrawal, because WATER, lol.

4th the homeless advocate and fifth, Gobin.

refreshing that this was not a list of politicos

Williamsmith
10-12-15, 8:51pm
I think I might vote for the farmer, Richard Joyner. I think his work is not only feeding the hungry, but "teaching a man to fish" - giving a generation of people skills and experience working together toward both stable community, less unstable economy and some sense of small power over their lives. What he's doing isn't novel, but it's reaching into the future.

I like River From The Sky Bhagwati Agrawal for many of the same reasons.

if we could replicate what this guy did in every community we could knock the hell out of diabetes and put McDonalds and WalMart out of the food Business. Or at least put a big kink in their colon, or something like that. Nice choice kib.

Williamsmith
10-12-15, 8:55pm
top 3

Dr Withers

Dr Ivankovich

Bhagwati Agrawal

the first two because those are amazing feats that benefit so many. Agrawal, because WATER, lol.

4th the homeless advocate and fifth, Gobin.

refreshing that this was not a list of politicos

Ivankovich.......there is a guy that isn't overwhelmed by a problem. he just flat goes out and does something about it. Truly inspiring. None of this worry over whether they deserve it or not.

freshstart
10-12-15, 9:09pm
Ivankovich.......there is a guy that isn't overwhelmed by a problem. he just flat goes out and does something about it. Truly inspiring. None of this worry over whether they deserve it or not.

I wish we had people like this in public office, helping with healthcare reformation. Not those who really serve the Insurance industry and Big Pharma, while claiming to represent the people. Not all do this and we've made progress but we are making it 100s harder than it has to be

bae
10-12-15, 9:32pm
#1: These guys: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-33929927

freshstart
10-13-15, 3:49am
the fireman tells his friend: "If I don't come back, my father is your father." sob, but he came back

Some wondered whether the focus on the firemen's bravery in official media was helping the authorities avoid difficult questions.
"Every time when disaster happens, state media always spread heroic acts," a poster on Weibo wrote, according the the AFP news agency.
"In the end, people are touched by these stories. Then nobody asks the cause of the accident to explore the truth."

sometimes it feels that way here, not a trait to emulate. The faces of those boys, the youngest 18, that's just a kid, how devastating

catherine
10-13-15, 5:26am
I don't know how to pick from these amazing people.

I agree that Gobin's contribution is a very creative and restorative one for a group of people that deeply deserve our respect and help. I can't think of better medicine than being in nature in an extremely supportive atmosphere.

But others are really great. When I think of one who has sacrificed much in order to give where she saw a need, I have to say I was inspired by Maggie Doyne--only 28, and she started a school on another continent with her babysitting money. Amazing…almost like a Mother Theresa. I love her story of her "conversion moment" when the little girl sitting on the garbage said, "Hello, sister."

Because of my permaculture bent, I really found Bhagwati Agrawal inspirational.

Those who serve the "least among us" like Jim Withers deserves to be on the list, especially because he goes out to the homeless and meets them where they are.

So, those are my top picks.

Interesting thread, Williamsmith.

catherine
11-18-15, 10:22am
So, the Hero of the Year is one of my top picks: Maggie Doyne. I have to say, it's a good choice for all the reasons I mentioned, but all the others are all amazing heroes as well.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/17/world/cnn-hero-of-the-year-2015/index.html

Williamsmith
11-18-15, 4:33pm
You nailed it Catherine. Now, please give to a local charity that does good work everyone.

razz
11-18-15, 6:11pm
Coming from working in the soup kitchen this morning, prepping food, visiting with those attending and serving them, there are wonderful miniheroes doing small services everywhere. I love reading and hearing about the services given from the heart and mind for the benefit of the community. Thanks for this thread.