PDA

View Full Version : Travel pack recommendations?

frugalone
10-22-15, 2:34pm
I'll be going to England for a week next May and I'm looking for a travel pack that won't break the bank. I like the convertible type (i.e. works as a backpack but has handles and a shoulder strap). Some brands I've been looking at are Eagle Creek (Weekender or Tarmac), ebags Weekender, Tom Bihn Aeronaut, Air Boss Sky Train, MEI Voyageur, Tortuga.

Any recommendations/advice?

herbgeek
10-22-15, 3:06pm
I just purchased an Aeronaut, but it took me a year to do so because the price tag is steep, and I don't really travel enough to justify it in my mind. But nothing else I looked at had the same aesthetics and features. Quality stuff, but you pay through the nose for it.

frugalone
10-22-15, 3:39pm
My thoughts exactly. I don't travel much at all, so yes, I am having trouble justifying it! But I have one of the TB handbags and I love it. The stuff wears like iron!

I just purchased an Aeronaut, but it took me a year to do so because the price tag is steep, and I don't really travel enough to justify it in my mind. But nothing else I looked at had the same aesthetics and features. Quality stuff, but you pay through the nose for it.

kib
10-22-15, 7:28pm
You might try checking a second hand sporting goods store. here we have Bookmans Sports Exchange, which is pretty picky about what they buy. If you know the brands to look for, there can be great deals - I just picked up a lightly used Marmot Nano jacket for $60.

frugalone
10-22-15, 7:31pm
We don't have anything like that around here. I live in a kind of poor area. We've got the Salvation Army and Goodwill and that's it.

You might try checking a second hand sporting goods store. here we have Bookmans Sports Exchange, which is pretty picky about what they buy. If you know the brands to look for, there can be great deals - I just picked up a lightly used Marmot Nano jacket for $60.

Tradd
10-22-15, 9:18pm
I have this one from LL Bean. $129. Love it. It's unstructured, so it works best if you have packing cubes.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/51615

rodeosweetheart
10-22-15, 9:48pm
You might try Ebay. I wanted an Ameribag and saw one in a local store for 187, bought the same bag, used, mild waterstain on bottom, for 25 dollars on ebay. I have treated the leather and it looks pretty darn good, and I don't have to worry about walking outside in the rain with it--it's actually the color I wanted, while the local store only had black.

rodeosweetheart
10-22-15, 9:50pm
I have this one from LL Bean. $129. Love it. It's unstructured, so it works best if you have packing cubes.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/51615

That is REALLY pretty, Tradd. For me, I have to go with wheels, even on my carry on, since it's so hard walking through the airport without having an asthma attack.

But if you can manage carrying stuff, that Bean one looks fantastic.

freshstart
10-22-15, 10:42pm
I have good experiences with Travelon and Sherpani products, I look them up at ebags, then try to find what I want cheaper elsewhere or on Ebay. Travelog has been adding pockets that block RFID

Birdie
10-23-15, 12:08am
I have a 21 inch roller I take sometimes and also this bag which does not have wheels. It's similar to the LLBean bag, can be carried or worn as a backpack.

https://store.ricksteves.com/shop/p/carry-on-backpack

pinkytoe
10-23-15, 10:45am
I bought the ebags for a trip a few years back. Not crazy about it - too many straps to keep up with and in the end once it was stuffed - too heavy for my small frame.

iris lilies
10-23-15, 11:10am
OP, are you intending to take one bag without wheels?

Since I think soft sided suitcases with wheels is one of the greatest inventions of the 21st century, I am skeptical of any new trend that calls for a different kind of bag

When I last went to the UK I found black pants in a rough silk fabric to be useful. They dry overnight when you wash them, and they are very light to carry. I found this pair at Goodwill. they were not fashionable but they were practical.

Tradd
10-23-15, 11:17am
I'm off on a weekend trip down to the SE to visit friends this weekend. I would normally carry on, but I want to take my pistol with me, so I have to check a bag. I found lightweight hard sided cases at Kohl's on sale over the summer. I have a 20" wheeled bag and a 24" one.

rodeosweetheart
10-23-15, 11:57am
I'm off on a weekend trip down to the SE to visit friends this weekend. I would normally carry on, but I want to take my pistol with me, so I have to check a bag. I found lightweight hard sided cases at Kohl's on sale over the summer. I have a 20" wheeled bag and a 24" one.

I bought this hardsided one at Target and it is the greatest!

Tradd
10-23-15, 12:08pm
Mine are Samsonite. PURPLE! Can't miss it on the carousel when I'm getting my bag after my flight!

Gardenarian
10-23-15, 2:49pm
Hi Frugalone,

I was tempted to get a similar pack at our local travel store, but the salesperson actually talked me into sticking with my old roll-aboard.

Why?
He said he had tried traveling with one and found it inconvenient.
When you're waiting in line at the airport or other transport you either have to have it on or haul it around.
If you have the big pack, then (obviously) you can't carry a smaller day pack at the same time, and need to schlep a tote bag or purse.
He said the travel packs are not designed to distribute weight evenly (as hiking backpacks are) so they are really only good for short distances.
His advice was to either get a real hiking backpack (if you really need to carry your stuff with you at all times) or an ultralight 2-wheel roll-along bag. (I bought neither, but may get one of those cool ultralite suitcases some day.) He felt the 2-wheelers were lighter and less troublesome than the 4-wheel spinners.

If you are going somewhere for just a few days and can keep your phone, wallet, tickets, etc. in your pockets, then the pack might work pretty well.

Anyhow, I was just flying to the city and going to the hotel, so my rolling carry-on, combined with my everyday backpack, worked out great.
My .02, for what it's worth.

iris lilies
10-23-15, 5:06pm
Hi Frugalone,

I was tempted to get a similar pack at our local travel store, but the salesperson actually talked me into sticking with my old roll-aboard.

Why?
He said he had tried traveling with one and found it inconvenient.
When you're waiting in line at the airport or other transport you either have to have it on or haul it around.
If you have the big pack, then (obviously) you can't carry a smaller day pack at the same time, and need to schlep a tote bag or purse.
He said the travel packs are not designed to distribute weight evenly (as hiking backpacks are) so they are really only good for short distances.
His advice was to either get a real hiking backpack (if you really need to carry your stuff with you at all times) or an ultralight 2-wheel roll-along bag. (I bought neither, but may get one of those cool ultralite suitcases some day.) He felt the 2-wheelers were lighter and less troublesome than the 4-wheel spinners.

If you are going somewhere for just a few days and can keep your phone, wallet, tickets, etc. in your pockets, then the pack might work pretty well.

Anyhow, I was just flying to the city and going to the hotel, so my rolling carry-on, combined with my everyday backpack, worked out great.
My .02, for what it's worth.

thsts what I've done, take an standard size backpack and a rolling bag. Mine isn't ultra lite, but it doesn't need to be, it's light enough.

Gardnr
10-24-15, 3:25pm
https://store.ricksteves.com/shop/travel-bags

There is NOTHING cheap about his stuff. Go here for advice and then shop around for similar product if you like what you see here and can't afford it. He truly is a travel genius. My sister travels a TON and swears by his ways.

simplelife4me
10-25-15, 5:25am
One of the best values has always been the Outdoor Products Essential Carry-On sold by Campmor. It is frameless.

https://www.campmor.com/c/campmor-essential-carry-on

frugalone
10-25-15, 12:54pm
Yes, I am. I do have a rollaboard that is about 20 years or so old. It's somewhat heavy even without being packed, and packed, I can't really lift it. I can't imagine taking it up flights of stairs in Tube stations where they don't have an elevator.

OP, are you intending to take one bag without wheels?

Since I think soft sided suitcases with wheels is one of the greatest inventions of the 21st century, I am skeptical of any new trend that calls for a different kind of bag

When I last went to the UK I found black pants in a rough silk fabric to be useful. They dry overnight when you wash them, and they are very light to carry. I found this pair at Goodwill. they were not fashionable but they were practical.