PDA

View Full Version : What to get my DD who has chosen be alone on her 30th?

catherine
11-1-15, 6:15am
Looking for advice on what 30th birthday gift I can send DD.

I asked her what she's doing for her birthday and was kind of surprised that she has chosen to spend it alone, in a little cabin in another town in VT. My DH thinks that's just plain weird, but he's an extrovert.

I totally understand--I have enjoyed my own poustinia in the past.

I know a few of you have done a similar get-away--FloatOn, didn't you?

To give you an idea of my daughter, DD is an artist (graphic artist). She's not a big reader, but she likes books about spiritual guidance.. she is not a practicing Christian or any other religion, but she has enjoyed books by Alan Cohen, Emerson, Ram Das, etc.

She loves nature and has a tattoo of shamrocks, a moon and a fox (she identifies with foxes). The shamrock and moon are nods to her family, especially the women.

I was thinking of sending her a retreat "care package": Some things I was thinking of were my own copies of Walden, The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron, poetry by Mary Oliver. I was also thinking of sending her a canvas and some oils/acrylics-she's a graphic artist for work, but I don't think she has any oil paints or many good brushes.

Any other suggestions for her birthday retreat care package?

herbgeek
11-1-15, 6:57am
Good chocolate or other indulgences to enjoy, a nice blank journal and pens, a book on yin yoga (and maybe some props), some interesting teas would be things I would like on retreat.

rosarugosa
11-1-15, 7:05am
Special "treat" foods she might enjoy on her retreat, perhaps?

Williamsmith
11-1-15, 7:17am
A set of high quality colored pencils and a stress relieving adult coloring book along with a sketch book and charcoal pencils.

A field guide or possible an identification book for plants and trees.

Antique cast iron cookware.

catherine
11-1-15, 8:04am
Great ideas…!

Love the chocolates, treats and teas ideas. Williamsmith, all three ideas are wonderful. I think I'll look into field guides for the area.

rodeosweetheart
11-1-15, 8:58am
Coffee and a hand thrown mug.

Ultralight
11-1-15, 9:17am
Looking for advice on what 30th birthday gift I can send DD.

I asked her what she's doing for her birthday and was kind of surprised that she has chosen to spend it alone, in a little cabin in another town in VT. My DH thinks that's just plain weird, but he's an extrovert.

I totally understand--I have enjoyed my own poustinia in the past.

I know a few of you have done a similar get-away--FloatOn, didn't you?

To give you an idea of my daughter, DD is an artist (graphic artist). She's not a big reader, but she likes books about spiritual guidance.. she is not a practicing Christian or any other religion, but she has enjoyed books by Alan Cohen, Emerson, Ram Das, etc.

She loves nature and has a tattoo of shamrocks, a moon and a fox (she identifies with foxes). The shamrock and moon are nods to her family, especially the women.

I was thinking of sending her a retreat "care package": Some things I was thinking of were my own copies of Walden, The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron, poetry by Mary Oliver. I was also thinking of sending her a canvas and some oils/acrylics-she's a graphic artist for work, but I don't think she has any oil paints or many good brushes.

Any other suggestions for her birthday retreat care package?

I think it is great that you are supporting your loner kid!

I am a loner too. I enjoy a thanksgiving or Xmas at an ethnic restaurant by myself. People frown upon this.

So it is refreshing to know that you support your daughter's choice!

pinkytoe
11-1-15, 9:44am
My DD is only a little older and is currently enthralled with coloring books too. I would think a really nice set of prismacolor pencils too.

JaneV2.0
11-1-15, 10:25am
I spent my thirtieth alone too. I traveled to the Oregon coast, from Astoria down to Cannon Beach and stayed overnight. On the way I won a "guess this artist" contest on a local radio station, had a cocktail overlooking the Columbia, and ate fried clams. It was all quite restorative.

You can get portable watercolors for outdoor use. Here's a set:
http://www.dickblick.com/products/winsor-and-newton-cotman-travel-bag-set/

Rachel
11-1-15, 12:43pm
I like the care package ideas---pink Himalayan sea salts for bathing, Aromatherapy oil, a tube of non-toxic hand cream would be among my suggestions because they are both luxurious and practical. Your daughter sounds like a creative, self-directed person, good for her!

Float On
11-1-15, 1:04pm
Yes! Every year for my birthday I go away by myself for a few days retreat. I completely unplug. Does she do watercolor? There are some nice little tiny watercolor sets with small brushes. Easy to pack with a small watercolor notebook for when the mood strikes to throw some color on paper when I'm hiking around the cabin I stay at. A bottle of wine to enjoy by myself. Food I want to cook. A journal....I always make lists and goals while I'm gone. A book or two. Bath salts and a good scrubby and mask and candles for my soaks in the tub. And candles, lots of candles and white flowers to put around the cabin.

rodeosweetheart
11-2-15, 8:44am
I've thought about this some more and think I was on the wrong track with buying her things. How about buying her gift card for gas and something like Panera. She can use them on the road, and it will be a treat.

catherine
11-2-15, 12:17pm
Yes! Every year for my birthday I go away by myself for a few days retreat. I completely unplug. Does she do watercolor? There are some nice little tiny watercolor sets with small brushes. Easy to pack with a small watercolor notebook for when the mood strikes to throw some color on paper when I'm hiking around the cabin I stay at. A bottle of wine to enjoy by myself. Food I want to cook. A journal....I always make lists and goals while I'm gone. A book or two. Bath salts and a good scrubby and mask and candles for my soaks in the tub. And candles, lots of candles and white flowers to put around the cabin.

I thought it was you! Thanks! Great ideas.

Actually, Jane posted a link to an awesome watercolor travel set--I'm actually just about to order it on line--thanks, Jane! I'm going to pair it with the field guide that Williamsmith suggested and include some herbal teas handcrafted by a local forager.

Thank you, everyone, for the great ideas!

catherine
11-2-15, 3:01pm
I've thought about this some more and think I was on the wrong track with buying her things. How about buying her gift card for gas and something like Panera. She can use them on the road, and it will be a treat.

I like the gift card for gas! Another good idea!

larknm
11-2-15, 4:11pm
Yes gift card for gas. Being alone includes not having her attention directed by someone else or having something she's supposed to do or pay attention to. My beat Christmas was spent alone, continuing writing on a book, in a friend's apartment (I was homeless) with none of my own stuff around.

rodeosweetheart
11-2-15, 5:33pm
Yes gift card for gas. Being alone includes not having her attention directed by someone else or having something she's supposed to do or pay attention to. My beat Christmas was spent alone, continuing writing on a book, in a friend's apartment (I was homeless) with none of my own stuff around.

lark, if that is a typo, I love it-- "my beat Christmas!"