PDA

View Full Version : No more supplements

TxZen
11-2-15, 6:41pm
For years, I have at minimum, taken a women's supplement. I have flexed with additional supplements over the years but as of 8 months ago, I have stopped all. And you know what? I can only surmise that since I have been eating as healthy as I can, lot of variety, mostly vegetarian, I have done more good for my body through healthy eating than taking a supplement. I have compared my last 3 blood tests, over the past 18 months and the last one has been my best EVER. I usually have very low Vitamin D, <10, which is bad. I never have been able to get it over 20, even with supplements. I have focused on food that contain Vitamin D, proper delivery with some fat and getting out in the sun a bit. Well, now my levels are in the upper 20's. I am true believer in getting everything I need from my food, unless it's an extreme case. What has been your experiences? :)

This is also part of my simplifying process. Vitamins are expensive. I was on a prescription Vitamin D, which was $30 a month.

kally
11-2-15, 7:13pm
well done. I do take D because I live in Canada.
and I take B complex because I am vegan, but I don't need anything else.

pinkytoe
11-2-15, 8:20pm
I haven't taken supplements in several years now though DH continues to take several different ones (sigh). Sometimes I see people buying literaly hundreds of dollars worth at Natural Grocers and it amazes me. I have a sense that they might do far more harm than good unless one has a verified nutritional deficiency. One of my beefs with them is that you don't really know what's in them, ie the purity of the product, since they can be sourced from all over the world.

TxZen
11-3-15, 11:47am
I started taking them when I was pregnant. I did not notice any difference. I think natural hormonal changes resulted in longer hair, nails, softer skin and breakouts. I felt better just from water, fruits and vegetables and walking.

iris lilies
11-3-15, 12:36pm
I don't take vitamin supplements, I think they are silly. The vitamin D thing is the latest obsession. I haven't been tested for it and I won't because I don't care, but I would be very surprised if my D level is lower than recommended, at least during the months of April through September. I work outside two hours a day at minimum getting sun on my skin And I eat lots of vegetables. I eat few fruits, though, I have to,admit that.

TxZen
11-3-15, 12:55pm
I only knew about my low Vitamin D when I had surgery in 2010.

Tammy
11-3-15, 4:12pm
Most breakfast cereals have lots of added vitamins. And lots of other foods as well.

I figure one bowl of fortified breakfast cereal is more than any of really need as a supplement.

kally
11-3-15, 5:25pm
A lot of people with chronic illness can be affected by low Vitamin D levels. Depends where you live too.

bekkilyn
11-3-15, 5:58pm
I had to start taking Vitamin D supplements after I got to a dangerous point of having no energy to do much of anything even when I actually wanted to. Found out after a blood test that I had a deficiency. It seemed crazy that just taking Vitamin D could help but it really did make a difference after a few weeks. I thought I was having a very serious case of depression.

pony mom
11-3-15, 6:31pm
Vit. D is the only thing I take now. Mine is in a liquid form---1 drop = 2000IU. Just started doubling it since I won't be outside too much now. I've never had my levels tested but it can't hurt.

Rachel
11-4-15, 4:39pm
Adding bottled vitamins can be very tricky...so much depends on what you are already eating and what brand of vitamins you take and in what combination. If you feel good just eating right then you don't need the pills!