PDA

View Full Version : Books you recommend re finances?

profnot
12-1-15, 3:05pm
Hi, All

I've been reading lots of books on finance this past year.

Do you have any you recommend?

I'm looking for books about anything other than the stock market (or at least about more than the stock market).

Some of the best books I've recently read:

>Bonds - The Unbeaten Path to Secure Investment Growth
by Hildy and Stan Richelson

>Making the Most of your Money Now
by Quinn

>Bank on Yourself
by Yellen

Thanks for your tips!!!

LDAHL
12-1-15, 4:10pm
Anything by William Bernstein, especially his excellent Investing for Adults Series.

Jim Otar's Unveiling the Retirement Myth.

Burton Malkiel's A Random Walk Down Wall Street.

The timeless classic by Ben Graham, The Intelligent Investor.

rodeosweetheart
12-2-15, 5:55am
I checked Amazon for the Otar book, and used it is 98 dollars-seems to be out of print. Can you summarize what it's about, LDAHL?

Profnot, the Yellen book seems to be about an insurance plan where you overfund the plan? Do you actually do this? I have downloaded samples of what I can of these books to Kindle, and will get something by Bernstein.

LDAHL
12-2-15, 9:22am
I checked Amazon for the Otar book, and used it is 98 dollars-seems to be out of print. Can you summarize what it's about, LDAHL?

It is posted as an article at http://www.flip4u.org/ for free. Basically, Otar believes we should take an engineering approach to retirement planning, designing income portfolios for the "worst case".

rodeosweetheart
12-2-15, 9:27am
It is posted as an article at http://www.flip4u.org/ for free. Basically, Otar believes we should take an engineering approach to retirement planning, designing income portfolios for the "worst case".

Thanks so much for the link!! I will check it out, as I certainly agree with that philosophy.

awakenedsoul
12-2-15, 3:45pm
I like The Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey. I read Bank on Yourself, but it sounded like an insurance scam to me. I also liked The Money Class, by Suze Orman.

freshstart
12-2-15, 8:42pm
anything by John Bogle or the Bogleheads but might be too heavy on investing

profnot
12-3-15, 1:35pm
Hi, Rodeo

I haven't implemented the Bank on Yourself insurance strategy yet. I'm working with my alma mater to have their professionals vet the program and find an ethical insurance agent to work with.

I don't have kids so my alma mater is my main heir. Their investment advisers take good care of the college and the alumnae donors.

My main question of the moment is if we can find a life insurance company that issues this kind of policy (with riders) which invests in socially responsible projects only.

If everything works out, I plan to borrow money from my policy in a few years to fund the building of commercial property I am developing. Being able to get financing at 1%-2% in a short period of time is very appealing. The loan will be repaid through the lease income.

The strategy in Bank on Yourself (BOY) is also known as Infinite Banking Concept (IBC), and Cash Flow Banking (CFB). You can search for those terms to learn more.

I do not sell insurance. I'm still investigating the possibilities. I get nothing for posting this. ie: this post is NOT advertising.

I've spoken with a few other people who are using these policies for real estate investment purposes. They say it works for them.

Rogar
12-4-15, 9:30am
Anything by William Bernstein, especially his excellent Investing for Adults Series.

Jim Otar's Unveiling the Retirement Myth.

Burton Malkiel's A Random Walk Down Wall Street.

The timeless classic by Ben Graham, The Intelligent Investor.

I have not read Otar, but second the recommendation for the other books. They have been pretty much the base for much of my financial planning.

rodeosweetheart
12-4-15, 10:07am
Hi, Rodeo

I haven't implemented the Bank on Yourself insurance strategy yet. I'm working with my alma mater to have their professionals vet the program and find an ethical insurance agent to work with.

I've spoken with a few other people who are using these policies for real estate investment purposes. They say it works for them.

Very interesting, keep us posted. Glad the alma mater looking out for you, a great idea to have them look into it too.

catherine
12-4-15, 10:15am
Very interesting, keep us posted. Glad the alma mater looking out for you, a great idea to have them look into it too.

Yes, profnot, please tell us what you learn. Seems at first blush to be in the "too good to be true" department, but I'd like to learn more.