PDA

View Full Version : Article: Buried treasures: understanding compulsive hoarding – Got Anxiety?

Ultralight
12-9-15, 9:28am
Check this out: http://www.sierrasun.com/news/19525321-113/buried-treasures-understanding-compulsive-hoarding-got-anxiety

Seen below, is a brief summary regarding the prevalence, course of development, causes, and co-occurring disorders associated with Hoarding Disorder.
PREVALENCE & COURSE OF DEVELOPMENT
4-6% of the general population.
Greater occurrence in males, although excessive acquisition seen more in females.
Average age of onset is 11-15 years.
Three times more prevalent in ages 55-95 years, vs. 34-54 years.
Severity increases across each decade of life.
Course is chronic, with very little waxing/waning.
Treatment, though rarely sought, occurs 12-15 years following symptom onset.
Cause of serious marital problems and/or legal proceedings from public health officials.
CO-OCCURRING DISORDERS
Depression.
Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD).
Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD).
Obsessive-Compulsive Personality Disorder (OCPD).
Another anxiety disorder; typically Social Anxiety or Panic Disorder.
CAUSES
Genetic predisposition.
Neurochemical (insufficient serotonin and dopamine levels).
Temperamental vulnerability (indecisiveness, perfectionism, fear of making mistakes).
Environmental vulnerabilities (traumatic life experiences, major life transitions, etc.).
Most people reading this article have, from time to time, over-acquired items from sources such as yard sales, stores, friends, etc., that they simply does not need.
In addition, we have all experienced great difficulty discarding various possessions when moving into another residence, or simply “spring cleaning.”
Many individuals love to collect items such as rare coins, vintage cars and wines, antiques, etc. Collecting may serve as a hobby, or even be one’s primary source of employment.
However, collecting is not the same as hoarding. Below, is a brief outline regarding key differences between collecting vs. compulsive hoarding.
THOSE WHO COLLECT
Feel proud of their possessions.
Keep their possessions well organized, and void of clutter.
Willingly display their possessions to others.
Feel tremendous satisfaction when adding to their collections.
Attend meetings with others who share their collection interests.
THOSE WHO HOARD
Feel embarrassed of their possessions.
Possessions are scattered, with no organizational structure.
Refuse to allow others to view or even touch their possessions.
Experience guilt, sadness, confusion, or shame when acquiring additional items.
Attend mandated support groups for helping to treat over acquisition and the lack of discarding possessions, which often result in dangerous clutter.
OK, so we all like our stuff and have a hard time tossing it out, even if we haven’t used it in years, which is different from those who collect meaningful items.
Thus, a major issue deserving attention concerns understanding the personality profile which contains the defining characteristics of those who engage in compulsive hoarding. This topic will be specifically addressed in our next article.

Chicken lady
12-9-15, 9:09pm
My first response was "oh great. It gets worse."

Then I read the original article - how awful.

I wonder If the co-occurring disorders are part of what makes recovery harder. I do not have to deal with them except depression and that is only seasonal.

The section differentiating collections from hoards was interesting to me though. There are still things I am hoarding, and there are also things I collect. Technically, the dolls are a collection, but I feel embarrassed of them sometimes, and I also tend to feel guilty and/or sad when adding to the collection. I think this is a secondary thing though, which comes out of my kids and dh - who have lived with and through and under the shadow of the worst of my hoarding - and who think the dolls are silly and excessive and don't want them displayed in shared areas of the house. I do not have any friends who are interested in dolls and in fact am embarrassed to share that hobby with most of the friends I do have as they are clearly of my family's mindset.

However, I would encourage kids to play with most of the dolls and enjoy sharing them with my mother - who likes them - when she visits or on face time. I also enjoy the dolls themselves and, left alone, enjoy acquiring them - so I think the negative emotions are more about the perceived judgement of others than about collecting the dolls.

Also, on further reflection, I tend to feel guilt about acquiring anything non-consumable. Even things that I use but don't absolutely need - like my new fruit bowl, or display stands for my pottery show (oh look, here I go bringing home stuff again). Baically, the only stuff I don't have a complicated relationship with is clearly useful normal stuff in singles - like, the coffee maker, or stuff my husband and kids give me (ok, so the anti-hoarder police gave me this thing - it must be ok for me to have.)

Christmas drives me crazy. I love presents. I love wrapping them and giving them and getting them and opening them, but then I have more stuff. And then I feel bad about the stuff.

Williamsmith
12-9-15, 9:27pm
My wife began buying and bringing home snowmen. I even bought her a few myself as gifts. All kinds of snowmen...big ones, little ones, soft ones, wooden ones, metal ones, ones that go out in the yard, ones that go in the Windows, ones that sit on the shelves, ones that hang on a tree or on the doors. Ones that fit in the cabinets or on a shelf. Funny looking ones, cute ones, collectible ones, homemade ones, ones made in China. I counted them and they numbered over one hundred.

We finally had an intervention. No one was allowed to buy her a snowman. If she bought one it had to be very small. And after awhile I convinced her it was unhealthy to hoard snowmen. We have given some away now and gotten a grip on it. It was a collect gone out of control..

bae
12-9-15, 9:38pm
Seems hoarding real snowmen would be a self-limiting seasonal problem, in most parts of the country :-)

danna
12-9-15, 10:49pm
Is there anyone one on these boards who is not, or does not have someone relate/or close to them who does not fit this description of a hoarder?
Who does not themselves fit or know someone who fits the description of the co-occurring disorders?

Teacher Terry
12-9-15, 11:25pm
When I was younger I had some collections such as dolls & teapots. As I got into my 40's I started to get rid of them & only keep a few I loved. I no longer collect anything. People use that as an automatic gift if you collect something & pretty sure you are over run.

kib
12-9-15, 11:27pm
I think we are an over-acquisitive society. Is that "clinical hoarding"? Probably not for most people, but as we try to shed the extra that we don't need or even want, and we struggle with other people's collections, gifts and useless junk, I think we become very aware of our own tendencies and where we and those around us fall on a spectrum. It's not surprising that people who seek the 'enough point' or even true minimalism or voluntary poverty look at their behavior and see hoarding or hoarding tendencies.

Ultralight
12-10-15, 7:01am
It's not surprising that people who seek the 'enough point' or even true minimalism or voluntary poverty look at their behavior and see hoarding or hoarding tendencies.

What do you mean? I did not quite follow...

Ultralight
12-10-15, 7:23am
Is there anyone one on these boards who is not, or does not have someone relate/or close to them who does not fit this description of a hoarder?
Who does not themselves fit or know someone who fits the description of the co-occurring disorders?

Danna:

Good questions.

Chicken lady
12-10-15, 7:45am
Bae, you know you're a hoarder when you start renting warehouse space to store the freezers you use to store your snowman collection. if you have a lot of money and buy the warehouses, then you're just eccentric. If you store the snowmen in special freezers with frost free glass and allow the public to view the snowmen, you're a philanthropist.

Williamsmith
12-10-15, 8:12am
During the snowman intervention era I used to go around the house chanting, "Free The SnowMen!" I guess that makes me a SnowMan Activist. Or an Abolitionist.