PDA

View Full Version : Article: Play Minimalist Game to declutter your life

Ultralight
12-30-15, 10:30am
Pretty cool! :)

http://www.royalgazette.com/article/20151230/NEWS/151239990

Teacher Terry
12-30-15, 2:58pm
That's great. I would not want to run to the thrift store daily so would put it in my car and make a run when it is full. I never count though. I tend to do big amounts when I get going. I like to spend whole days doing it. I am finding that my cupboards and closets actually have some empty space which I love.

Ultralight
12-30-15, 3:01pm
That's great. I would not want to run to the thrift store daily so would put it in my car and make a run when it is full. I never count though. I tend to do big amounts when I get going. I like to spend whole days doing it. I am finding that my cupboards and closets actually have some empty space which I love.

A friend of mine has done this 3 or 4 times. I don't know how she has anything left!

Teacher Terry
12-30-15, 3:06pm
Well unfortunately when I started 10 years ago we had a big house and I had collected a bunch of stuff-ugh! NOw we have much smaller home and I like a leaner look. NOt totally bare but much fewer decorations, etc then the old me. When I moved here 20 years ago I had a small amount of stuff I brought with me since I was moving across the country. Somehow that got of hand. I am really different then who I used to be-don't want a ton of clothes etc so don't really seeing myself going back to where I was. I was never a hoarder or had a mess but still had a bunch of stuff. Now if I could only get DH to do the same to his office, shed, garage. He forbids me to help unfortunately>:(

Ultralight
12-30-15, 3:15pm
Everyone's path is different. Well, everyone who is on a path anyway.

And Teacher, you are on a path. :)

A good path...

Teacher Terry
12-31-15, 1:08pm
Thanks! I used to love to shop but don't anymore. Now I want to spend $ on experiences versus things. For instance last year the month we spent traveling in our RV to visit families and friends all over with our 4 dogs was expensive mainly because of gas & site fees but really worth it. I did things like cook everyday to keep the costs down but still it felt and still feels like $ well spent. If I had bought stuff I don't think I would have the same feeling.

Ultralight
12-31-15, 1:10pm
Thanks! I used to love to shop but don't anymore. Now I want to spend $ on experiences versus things. For instance last year the month we spent traveling in our RV to visit families and friends all over with our 4 dogs was expensive mainly because of gas & site fees but really worth it. I did things like cook everyday to keep the costs down but still it felt and still feels like $ well spent. If I had bought stuff I don't think I would have the same feeling.

Oh wow! I am so J! I want to do the RV thing so much. :)

mschrisgo2
12-31-15, 2:57pm
This is like our 100 Items a Month. So far this year I've deleted 1056 items* from my living space... looking for the motivation to bring that up to 1200 today- I've got 2 closets to clean out! Should be an easy reach if I can ever get started.

* some "items" were full bags of shredding

Teacher Terry
1-2-16, 2:46pm
UL: we bought a used RV 1993 8 years ago knowing we wanted one in retirement. It only had 33,000/miles and we knew the owner. There is no way to travel with 4 dogs especially with one being 80lbs without this. Even so some campgrounds have a 2 dog limit so had to do lots of research before. Sometimes i called the RV resort and said the 3 little dogs really only make 1 dog since they weigh between 5-10lbs and often this worked. The big guy is a husky/shephard mix and some places forbid certain breeds such as pits, shepherds, etc. So then I said he was a Malumute since that is what everyone thinks he is. We wanted to be able to see family/friends that we had not seen in awhile and also see Yellowstone & the Grand tetons and we didn't want to rush. However, a month was enough with a 27 ft home and 4 dogs. Also we didn't want to leave the dogs home. We had a blast and so did they. They depreciate so fast in value that buying used was a great choice. It looked like new inside. This summer we plan to go in 1 place for a month. The traveling was expensive because of the gas and having to pay a site fee nightly. It is really cheap most places if you stay a month at a time-usually between $300-400/month. The other cool thing is it also functions as an extra guest bedroom when we get company.