PDA

View Full Version : Not trying to be morbid, but I have question about wills and directives.

Ultralight
12-31-15, 9:15am
Happy New Year! I have a question or two about death.

I have a will, it says that everything goes to my sister (not that there is much). It also stipulates that my dog goes to my sister, but if she is not willing or able to take my dog, then it goes to my ex-wife.

If I become acutely aware of the amount of time I have left (like if I get cancer of the everything) then my intention is to give everything away and exit stage left without anything but the swim trunks they dump me into the sea with.

But my question is how does one create and enforce certain directives about one's death? Like how does one say they don't want a funeral or that they want their relatives to sit Shiva? How can I direct my next of kin to bury me at sea or cremate my remains?

iris lilies
12-31-15, 9:52am
Can one really have hard a fast rule about what we want to happen with our remains? Since we will be dead, we have no rights to dictate anything. Just gonna put it out there, Rev UL.

Seems to to me the best we can do is to make our wishes known, set up those wishes so that they are as easy to carry out as possible for those left behind. And then--forget about it.

I have suggested to DH a couple of options for me should I die tomorrow, but have also assured him that whatever he does is fine. My dad always calmly pointed out that funeral customs are for the living, and so, whatever brought the most comfort to those left behind were fine with him. That's my philosophy.

My mother, OTOH, was anything but "calm" about this subject and had a kind of manic Obsession about what HAD to happen with her remains. Funny that it changed from decade to decade, first it was No Open Casket then it was Must Be Cremated the it was I'm Jewish Now So Bury Me With Jews.

i kinda got tired keeping up with it all. But since this was one of her pet hobbies, she had all of her funeral and burial arrangements taken care of when the time came.We did what she wanted because it was easy and already paid for.

Float On
12-31-15, 10:04am
In our family everyone has always been pretty vocal about what they want and then they create a file and everyone in the family and within earshot is told repeatedly where to find the file and to please follow it.
File includes legal will, copies of important things (birth certificates, marriage certificates, ss cards) and instructions where the real ones are kept (bank deposit box *side note it's a good idea to have someone else on the signature card as well so it's easy access), a up to date letter with wishes, funeral plans, if plots are used where those are and receipt of them being paid for. In my parents case, they have their funerals planned completely down to favorite flowers, who should speak, and what songs should be sung. In my case it's simple cremation, where to pour me, no formal funeral, just a small gathering.

Here is an interesting site, you have to register but it's free and there is a tour you can watch without registering. If you were to put everything on-line, you'd still want a few paper copies or someone with info on how to find it. https://www.mywonderfullife.com/

Ultralight
12-31-15, 10:05am
Can one really have hard a fast rule about what we want to happen with our remains? Since we will be dead, we have no rights to dictate anything. Just gonna put it out there, Rev UL.

Seems to to me the best we can do is to make our wishes known, set up those wishes so that they are as easy to carry out as possible for those left behind. And then--forget about it.

I have suggested to DH a couple of options for me should I die tomorrow, but have also assured him that whatever he does is fine. My dad always calmly pointed out that funeral customs are for the living, and so, whatever brought the most comfort to those left behind were fine with him. That's my philosophy.

My mother, OTOH, was anything but "calm" about this subject and had a kind of manic Obsession about what HAD to happen with her remains. Funny that it changed from decade to decade, first it was No Open Casket then it was Must Be Cremated the it was I'm Jewish Now So Bury Me With Jews.

i kinda got tired keeping up with it all. But since this was one of her pet hobbies, she had all of her funeral and burial arrangements taken care of when the time came.We did what she wanted because it was easy and already paid for.

Your philosophy is interesting, for certain.

I guess I would just prefer to make sure no one spends a lot of money on me once I am finito.

But I suppose you are right. Whoever is in charge will do whatever they want.

I wonder who is in charge though? Relatives? Nanny G?

lessisbest
12-31-15, 10:41am
Our burial specifics are included in our will. If you want to pre-pay the mortuary for your specific needs (we did that with my parents when they were in failing health, as well as ordered their monument for the cemetery pre-need), that will also help with your directives. Personally, I don't want a family like that nut-case wife of Casey Kasem who kept dragging his remains all over the U.S. and to foreign countries, where more than 6-months after his death she finally had him buried in Norway. There have been other celebrities who's family went off the rails with the remains. I want it in black and white where my final wishes are seen to, but we have a family who will honor our directives.

You can also donate your body to science. We've had several members of our family do that, and you can still have a memorial of some kind.

Ultralight
12-31-15, 10:46am
Our burial specifics are included in our will. If you want to pre-pay the mortuary for your specific needs (we did that with my parents when they were in failing health, as well as ordered their monument for the cemetery pre-need), that will also help with your directives. Personally, I don't want a family like that nut-case wife of Casey Kasem who kept dragging his remains all over the U.S. and to foreign countries, where more than 6-months after his death she finally had him buried in Norway. There have been other celebrities who's family went off the rails with the remains. I want it in black and white where my final wishes are seen to, but we have a family who will honor our directives.

You can also donate your body to science. We've had several members of our family do that, and you can still have a memorial of some kind.

Good points here.

iris lilies
12-31-15, 10:50am
Your philosophy is interesting, for certain.

I guess I would just prefer to make sure no one spends a lot of money on me once I am finito.

But I suppose you are right. Whoever is in charge will do whatever they want.

I wonder who is in charge though? Relatives? Nanny G?

look we can have philosophical discussions forever and that's fine, but why don't you simply plan and pay for the event you want to happen? If I were you and concerned about it, I'd pay for the local crematorium to finish me off. Here, that's about $600 and includes picking up a body from the hospital, firing it off, and providing a simple and sturdy container for ashes. If it's already paid for it is far more likely your plan will take place.

Since you have relatives, the local government would not spend tax dollars on you unless your relatives did not claim you. unlikely.

So this reminds me of a story that illustrates the unrealistic expectations certain members of society have for what they outta be provided by local government. One of my employee's sister died. The employee was distraught because she could not afford the big flashy funeral she felt she should provide for dead sis because she "deserved" it

This employee badgered city hall to get financial help for this big deal funeral. Fortunately, the city fathers do not have a fund of my tax dollars to provide bells and whistles funerals. This was before the days of Go Fund Me which is now a major source of funding for big deal funerals in my 'hood.

razz
12-31-15, 10:54am
DH and I discussed it with family and this applies to both of us.

Do Not Resuscitate. Cremation and scatter the ashes. Done. I made some significant $$ donations to organizations that he valued at his passing, planted some trees, placed a simple plaque at one tree in town park which I was invited to enhance with further flowers if desired. Done.

It is not morbid, BTW, it is just discussing a simple part of life.

Ultralight
12-31-15, 11:04am
look we can have philosophical discussions forever and that's fine, but why don't you simply plan and pay for the event you want to happen? If I were you and concerned about it, I'd pay for the local crematorium to finish me off. Here, that's about $600 and includes picking up a body from the hospital, firing it off, and providing a simple and sturdy container for ashes. If it's already paid for it is far more likely your plan will take place.

More likely? Sure. But what I am looking for is a way to make sure it happens. Like is there a legal way to vest in someone else the power to do what-have-you with your remains? Like let's say a guy does not trust his wife, so he puts the power in the hands of his friend. Is there a way to do that?

Also, $600 ain't a bad deal!

Since you have relatives, the local government would not spend tax dollars on you unless your relatives did not claim you. unlikely.

It would be amusing if they didn't claim me though. Maybe the key is to really tick them off before I pack it in. haha

So this reminds me of a story that illustrates the unrealistic expectations certain members of society have for what they outta be provided by local government. One of my employee's sister died. The employee was distraught because she could not afford the big flashy funeral she felt she should provide for dead sis because she "deserved" it

This is lunacy? "Deserved?" That makes no sense. Death is a total unconscious state. The dead person not longer experiences feelings of entitlement.

This employee badgered city hall to get financial help for this big deal funeral. Fortunately, the city fathers do not have a fund of my tax dollars to provide bells and whistles funerals. This was before the days of Go Fund Me which is now a major source of funding for big deal funerals in my 'hood.

I am not familiar with Go Fund Me. I am guessing it is a crowd-funding thing. But are you serious?

iris lilies
12-31-15, 11:21am
I don't know how to make sure it happens. I'm not an attorney.

But I have to say, your insistence has the tone of my mother, not entirely rational. O-----K--------

.........backing away.........

on the Gofundme thing, sure, Check it out. In some cultures it's critically important to hold a big ass showy funeral.

Ultralight
12-31-15, 11:27am
I don't know how to make sure it happens. I'm not an attorney.

But I have to say, your insistence has the tone of my mother, not entirely rational. O-----K--------

.........backing away.........

Oh jeeeeez...

Look, the idea popped into my head. Then I thought: "Hmmmm... I don't have anyone I trust to follow my directives."

Then I thought it might be an interesting topic on here -- ya know? Simple living and then simple dying.

Ultimately the only thing I really, really care about is that my dog is well-taken care of.

freshstart
12-31-15, 11:33am
As others have said, pre-pay a funeral home for a cremation, we have one that offers the simplest of services (including none) at a low cost, just cremation is $600. When you pre-pay, the funeral home will walk you through everything you need to know, you make your choices, pay and then give a copy to the person most likely to be willing to follow through. Here, if you donate your body to the medical college, a funeral home picks you up, you go to the medical college and when your body is eventually released, they have a group memorial service for all the families and you are buried in the county cemetery. I don't know what happens after live organ donation.

some documents you may want to consider doing now to make sure someone in your family follows your wishes before you die are a health care proxy or MOLST (available at your MD office, any hospital, free) that assigns a person to speak for you when you cannot speak for yourself. Tell this person everything you do or don't want, including in death (even though the form gives them no power after you die, you're having the big discussion when you do a proxy, may as well talk about your death). Make copies for all your doctors, bring one to the hospital if you go, I actually shrunk mine down and carry it with me, I want there to be no confusion as to what I would've wanted should I get hit by a bus. And a durable power of attorney to be able handle your legal matters before and after death, perhaps your durable POA legally has to follow your wishes re: your death but I am not sure. These are two forms that I believe to be crucial at any age.

Ultralight
12-31-15, 11:35am
As others have said, pre-pay a funeral home for a cremation, we have one that offers the simplest of services (including none) at a low cost, just cremation is $600. When you pre-pay, the funeral home will walk you through everything you need to know, you make your choices, pay and then give a copy to the person most likely to be willing to follow through. Here, if you donate your body to the medical college, a funeral home picks you up, you go to the medical college and when your body is eventually released, they have a group memorial service for all the families and you are buried in the county cemetery. I don't know what happens after live organ donation.

some documents you may want to consider doing now to make sure someone in your family follows your wishes before you die are a health care proxy or MOLST (available at your MD office, any hospital, free) that assigns a person to speak for you when you cannot speak for yourself. Tell this person everything you do or don't want, including in death (even though the form gives them no power after you die, you're having the big discussion when you do a proxy, may as well talk about your death). Make copies for all your doctors, bring one to the hospital if you go, I actually shrunk mine down and carry it with me, I want there to be no confusion as to what I would've wanted should I get hit by a bus. And a durable power of attorney to be able handle your legal matters before and after death, perhaps your durable POA legally has to follow your wishes re: your death but I am not sure. These are two forms that I believe to be crucial at any age.

Okay, so in short: I need a MOLST (health care proxy) and a POA?

freshstart
12-31-15, 11:41am
And in your case, since your family has not been exactly on board with your minimalist life while you are living it, I doubt your folks are gonna change when you die and they are brimming over with emotions. Pre-planning, to me, would be a must for someone like you.

In my family, they all know I want cremation and they can take it from there because beyond cremation, I don't care. If my mom has to have a service for her own grieving purposes, I won't say no because that affects me in no way since I am dead. My kids have jokingly sung the John Prine song, Please Don't Bury Me since they were 4, they know what to do, lol.

freshstart
12-31-15, 11:44am
Okay, so in short: I need a MOLST (health care proxy) and a POA?

IMHO, yes, and I would pre-plan your death wishes. BTW, I think none of this is morbid, I think it is a gift you give your family- they will know all your wishes and hopefully that eliminates fighting about them should an event occur. Also, if you don't do a proxy, in NY it automatically goes to your next of kin, which would be your parents in your case.

Ultralight
12-31-15, 11:46am
IMHO, yes, and I would pre-plan your death wishes.

The catch is that I might not live here in OH forever... so pre-playing (prepaying?) might be complicated. But I will keep this in mind anyway.

BTW, I think none of this is morbid, I think it is a gift you give your family- they will know all your wishes and hopefully that eliminates fighting about them should an event occur.

Very true. I certainly see my mom fighting with my sister over it, and possibly with my dad too.

Also, if you don't do a proxy, in NY it automatically goes to your next of kin, which would be your parents in your case.

Oh lawdy... No! Please no!

iris lilies
12-31-15, 12:07pm
Oh jeeeeez...

Look, the idea popped into my head. Then I thought: "Hmmmm... I don't have anyone I trust to follow my directives."

Then I thought it might be an interesting topic on here -- ya know? Simple living and then simple dying.

Ultimately the only thing I really, really care about is that my dog is well-taken care of.

Exactly! We are in the process of completing a will and in writing up our wishes in our own words, which is what our attorney calls the "ethical will" I am saying pretty much this:

My main concern is that our pets are treated humanely.

The rest of it doesn't matter. To the person carrying out our estate, don't fuss yourself about trying to get the most money for our stuff. Just sell it, close the estate, and move on with you life!

Ultralight
12-31-15, 12:12pm
Exactly! We are in the process of completing a will and in writing up our wishes in our own words, which is what our attorney calls the "ethical will" I am saying pretty much this:

My main concern is that our pets are treated humanely.

The rest of it doesn't matter. To the person carrying out our estate, don't fuss yourself about trying to get the most money for our stuff. Just sell it, close the estate, and move on with you life!

Amen, sistah!

iris lilies
12-31-15, 12:15pm
The catch is that I might not live here in OH forever... so pre-playing (prepaying?) might be complicated. But I will keep this in mind anyway.

Very true. I certainly see my mom fighting with my sister over it, and possibly with my dad too.

Oh lawdy... No! Please no!

look, the crematoriums probably have some kind of reciprocal deal whereas if you have paid up,in Ohio but die in
Florida, you'll get cremated in FLorida. Don't overthink it, just work with the pros.

iris lilies
12-31-15, 12:29pm
My dad would have liked to be buried in a cardboard box. Or cremated. Whatever was cheapest.

but because he was married to a little craziness on this topic, he left it alone. And sure enough, when he died, she insisted that he had an expensive casket because "he's as good as his brother!" (Who had died six month prior and who had millions) and she erected a bigger than necessary stone marker.

I silently put up with it because he would not have wanted family strife over this. My dad was cool because he was minimalist but sadly, he had a typical funeral and burial that cost a few thousand. And oh yeah, he was handled thru the funeral industry even down to the stuffing of body with fluids and hideous dead person make up.

But as I said in the end, the bigger picture is the feelings of those left behind, and since my mother felt all of this was appropriate and she had money to easily carry it out, it was best for me to keep my mouth shut.

freshstart
12-31-15, 12:42pm
In my family, we aren't great about handling cremains, at least of our 6 dogs who have passed since I was a kid. No one wants to scatter or bury them, so their boxes sometimes get lost in the hoard. The deal was whoever went toes up first, the dogs would go with them. but it's looking like it's my mom and she just barely tolerates dogs, I told her sorry, she wasn't getting them, they're going with me. But how we will go will be up to my family, scatter us or dump us all in one big urn. It'll be like those sand art vases with different colored strata of sand. "There's mom, there's Bernice, there's Mitch...."

I'm going to leave money in my estate for any living dogs and will do my best to make sure I am happy with whomever they go with. Leona Helmsley left 12 million for the care of her dog and her brother refused to do it, even with the dough. She really was hated, her hotel staff looked after him.

Ultralight
12-31-15, 12:49pm
In my family, we aren't great about handling cremains, at least of our 6 dogs who have passed since I was a kid. No one wants to scatter or bury them, so their boxes sometimes get lost in the hoard. The deal was whoever went toes up first, the dogs would go with them. but it's looking like it's my mom and she just barely tolerates dogs, I told her sorry, she wasn't getting them, they're going with me. But how we will go will be up to my family, scatter us or dump us all in one big urn. It'll be like those sand art vases with different colored strata of sand. "There's mom, there's Bernice, there's Mitch...."

I'm going to leave money in my estate for any living dogs and will do my best to make sure I am happy with whomever they go with. Leona Helmsley left 12 million for the care of her dog and her brother refused to do it, even with the dough. She really was hated, her hotel staff looked after him.

If I have any bread leftover when I leave the table I think I'll leave it to dog rescue and/or an atheist organization. I believe these are called "planned gifts."

kib
12-31-15, 3:03pm
You can circumvent your family entirely, but it will cost you.

http://ask-a-lawyer.freeadvice.com/law-questions/when-i-die-i-want-a-parti-61171.htm

bae
12-31-15, 3:18pm
My mother-in-law passed away a few weeks ago.

She had all of her assets in a trust, which has extensive instructions about how things are to be disbursed. Incredibly picky instructions, she was a total control freak (like, which specific academic institution receives which book in her *vast* library...). Guess who she picked to be the trustee.... It's a total horror show.

There's no way to guarantee that a trustee will follow your instructions - if they don't, there has to be someone with standing who can legally intervene and have the courts force them to comply, a process that is expensive and time-consuming. Knowing this, my temptation was to pile all of her possessions in her home, burn it to the ground, and distribute the insurance settlement to those who are to receive things, as a simplification to all of our lives... Alas, she picked a trustee she could...trust.

I've left instructions concerning the details of the full Viking longship funeral I expect for myself, and placed some money in reserve to hire assassins to guarantee my wishes are followed one way or another, but that's just me.

iris lilies
12-31-15, 4:06pm
My mother-in-law passed away a few weeks ago.

She had all of her assets in a trust, which has extensive instructions about how things are to be disbursed. Incredibly picky instructions, she was a total control freak (like, which specific academic institution receives which book in her *vast* library...). Guess who she picked to be the trustee.... It's a total horror show...

And that's exactly the kind of impractical situation I want to avoid by throwing everything into our trust and leaving instructions to the guy who carries it out to chill, just assume our crap is largely worthless, get rid of it all quickly and pool the money into a pile. Then divide the pile O'money in the way I describe in my will.

I REALLY do not want anyone to spend their valuable life energy sorting thru each $2 item in our household, that's an awful thing to expect of our successors.

And by the way, bae, it might be worthwhile for you to contact the academic libraries to make sure they will even accept your MIL's gift of books before you go sorting and packing up in shipping boxes. Of course if that gift comes with money from her estate, then its a package deal and they may have to accept all of the books which likely are duplicates of things already in their collections. Been there, done that.

People and their stuff. ugh. And this reminds me that as we converse with our attorney about our will, he has asked who in our family might cause trouble or conflict. While I may be naive in thinking that there won't be major issues with the disbursement of our estate, I CAN see certain relatives who love their stuff, being very very very unhappy that the things in our household sold for far too little money, that someone just "stole them." It's a phrase I hear a lot when people value their own crap beyond all reasonable monetary value.

bae
12-31-15, 4:32pm
And by the way, bae, it might be worthwhile for you to contact the academic libraries to make sure they will even accept your MIL's gift of books before you go sorting and packing up in shipping boxes. Of course if that gift comes with money from her estate, then its a package deal and they may have to accept all of the books which likely are duplicates of things already in their collections. Been there, done that.

Luckily, a few weeks before she died, she and I reached an arrangement by which a trusted academic colleague of hers will be subcontracted to be the "academic trustee" and deal with all her research papers, magazines, books, and so on, and he's already jumped into action. She was a hardcore anthropologist, and was working actively almost until the day of her death, so her office space in the house is packed with significant materials, and the house itself lined with a library's worth of books. Her college has already ponied up several undergrads and grad students to help out sorting through all the stuff, perhaps understanding that my approach would be more...swift :-)

The other related problem is that some of the research material is museum-grade artwork - there's a single small piece of pottery sitting in the dining room that is worth ~$50,000 these days, and I have to make sure all *that* stuff gets properly appraised so that I can distribute the funds to the heirs. A few rugs hanging on the wall there are probably worth more than the house. We have some family friends, old students of hers, who have an art gallery devoted to this style of art in Santa Fe who I recruited last month to come out and help, thank goodness. And my mother-in-law spent two days with my daughter when we were last out together over fall break going through every significant piece of art in the home and conveying to my daughter the history of the pieces and so on.

I'm really glad Mom didn't stick my poor wife with going through all these details, though I've known the dear lady since I was 14 I think I have a bit of detachment in my thinking about these various artifacts.

I was amazed to see, looking through the various specific instructions, that she thought to leave me specifically this lovely pair of incredible cross-cut saws that have been hanging in her carriage house forever. Probably the only possessions of hers that I lusted over, since I was a kid :-)

iris lilies
12-31-15, 4:54pm
Luckily, a few weeks before she died, she and I reached an arrangement by which a trusted academic colleague of hers will be subcontracted to be the "academic trustee" and deal with all her research papers, magazines, books, and so on, and he's already jumped into action. She was a hardcore anthropologist, and was working actively almost until the day of her death, so her office space in the house is packed with significant materials, and the house itself lined with a library's worth of books. Her college has already ponied up several undergrads and grad students to help out sorting through all the stuff, perhaps understanding that my approach would be more...swift :-)

The other related problem is that some of the research material is museum-grade artwork - there's a single small piece of pottery sitting in the dining room that is worth ~$50,000 these days, and I have to make sure all *that* stuff gets properly appraised so that I can distribute the funds to the heirs. A few rugs hanging on the wall there are probably worth more than the house. We have some family friends, old students of hers, who have an art gallery devoted to this style of art in Santa Fe who I recruited last month to come out and help, thank goodness. And my mother-in-law spent two days with my daughter when we were last out together over fall break going through every significant piece of art in the home and conveying to my daughter the history of the pieces and so on.

I'm really glad Mom didn't stick my poor wife with going through all these details, though I've known the dear lady since I was 14 I think I have a bit of detachment in my thinking about these various artifacts.

I was amazed to see, looking through the various specific instructions, that she thought to leave me specifically this lovely pair of incredible cross-cut saws that have been hanging in her carriage house forever. Probably the only possessions of hers that I lusted over, since I was a kid :-)

Well, your MIL DOES have some things worth being careful with. Fortunately we have no museum grade ANYTHING although DH and others in our family wouldn't get that, some would still tend to want to fuss with crap.

It is ironic that those of us who work to keep our lives free of consumerist trappings so as to lively authentically still end up sometimes having to deal with other people's crap. At least, most of the time, other people crap can be dispensed with fairly quickly, they are not important pieces or pottery or really nice rugs.

rodeosweetheart
12-31-15, 5:12pm
Bae, exactly what is a cross cut saw? It instantly made me think of the song "The Wells Fargo Wagon"-- "Montgomery Ward sent me a bathtub and a cross cut saw."

freshstart
12-31-15, 6:12pm
Bae, exactly what is a cross cut saw? It instantly made me think of the song "The Wells Fargo Wagon"-- "Montgomery Ward sent me a bathtub and a cross cut saw."

there's a Clapton song about a crosscut saw, called "Crosscut Saw", lol

bae
12-31-15, 6:16pm
This sort of thing:

http://www.woodcraft.com/Images/products/400/154643.jpg

rodeosweetheart
12-31-15, 6:22pm
This sort of thing:

http://www.woodcraft.com/Images/products/400/154643.jpg

So like the lumberjacks use? It doesn't have anything to do with across the grain, like the quarter sawn oak--is that a thing?

freshstart
12-31-15, 6:25pm
having witnessed countless ways to deal with your estate and your crap at end of life, my goal will be to make it painless and I will give the stuff I want my kids or others to have to them well before I die. I can't count how many times I saw absolutely disgusting and horrifying behavior over the estate while the person lie (laid?) dying, devastated over new family riffs just when they are trying to go out in peace. Sisters fighting over a necklace literally over the hospital bed, asking mom who should get it and a fight ensues. Probably a $50 item. I'd like to leave money so that anything they don't want gets hauled off to the appropriate charity or the dump and they don't have to lift a finger. I will never leave anyone with the mess my mom is about to leave us.

I have to confess I have been without a will since my divorce in '04. I postponed and postponed, knowing that the bulk of my assets are held outside my estate in my retirement vehicles, as is life insurance. But I have significantly more invested in my share of this house, I need to do a will so it doesn't go to probate. But I think I am waiting for DD to turn 18, which would be a year and a few months.

Since I got sick, I think I will need a trust to protect the assets if I go to a nursing home, God forbid. I've always felt this is morally questionable, though.

bae
12-31-15, 6:35pm
So like the lumberjacks use? It doesn't have anything to do with across the grain, like the quarter sawn oak--is that a thing?

Well, the saw's teeth are typically set up in a crosscut fashion, because you use these for felling trees or bucking up logs, and those are all cross-the-grain cuts. You are correct in your observation, a simple handsaw from Home Depot can be a crosscut saw, it doesn't have to be one of the huge ones. The term "crosscut saw" by itself seems to traditionally mean the big guys for dealing with trees/logs.

You can get these large two-man (or the large one-man) version in rip-saw configuration if you look long and hard - useful for sawing planks out of logs, but they are pretty rare.

I use them around the property a fair bit, because I'm in no hurry, they are good exercise, they don't make as much noise as a chainsaw, I don't have to worry about fuel and small engine maintenance, and it maintains an obsolete traditional skill. I even have proper saw sharpening and setting tools, which themselves are hard to find these days.

When the zombies come, though, I'll be set.

bae
12-31-15, 6:37pm
Since I got sick, I think I will need a trust to protect the assets if I go to a nursing home, God forbid. I've always felt this is morally questionable, though.

One observation - this trust has made dealing with the estate 10x less of a pain. There's no probate, a couple of forms filed and I was able to pick up the reins of her finances/home maintenance/... within a few days of the death. Skipping probate alone is so well worth it that I would encourage people to look into this.

rodeosweetheart
12-31-15, 6:39pm
Well, the saw's teeth are typically set up in a crosscut fashion, because you use these for felling trees or bucking up logs, and those are all cross-the-grain cuts. You are correct in your observation, a simple handsaw from Home Depot can be a crosscut saw, it doesn't have to be one of the huge ones. The term "crosscut saw" by itself seems to traditionally mean the big guys for dealing with trees/logs.

You can get these large two-man (or the large one-man) version in rip-saw configuration if you look long and hard - useful for sawing planks out of logs, but they are pretty rare.

I use them around the property a fair bit, because I'm in no hurry, they are good exercise, they don't make as much noise as a chainsaw, I don't have to worry about fuel and small engine maintenance, and it maintains an obsolete traditional skill. I even have proper saw sharpening and setting tools, which themselves are hard to find these days.

When the zombies come, though, I'll be set.

Thanks, Bae, that is very cool to learn. It makes sense, about the cross the grain and the logs, of course, now I see!

shadowmoss
12-31-15, 6:49pm
My Dad was concerned about what would happen if (or actually as it happened, when) he died in TN after he and Mom prepaid their funeral expenses with an undertaker in MO. Mom called and found out that the funeral directors have reciprocal agreements and Mom just contacted the guy in MO and he had everything taken care of in TN.

ToomuchStuff
12-31-15, 7:02pm
What BAE shown in his saw image, has always been referred to as a two man pull saw around these parts (or two man tree saw is another term used here). He later corrected that a crosscut saw, can be a smaller saw, and saws such as these:
http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-20-065-26-Inch-Points-ShortCut/dp/B00009OYGA/ref=sr_1_3/187-3122824-2907134?ie=UTF8&qid=1451605936&sr=8-3&keywords=crosscut+saw

are common crosscut saws that are found at garage sales regularly, since we use more power tools now. Crosscut saws, have more teeth then RIP saws. In circular saw terms, a 24 tooth blade is a rip blade and a 60 tooth blade, is a crosscut blade; while the common 40 tooth blade is a general combination blade (good characteristics of both, excels at neither).
This also shows how something can have a proper name, then a common name in parts of the country, that is different in others. Another example, is a worm drive saw, tends to be called a Skill saw on the west coast, and a worm or mag saw here, as sidewinders can/are Skill saws.

ULTRA, in honesty, this ISN'T a forum item, but something you should consult a LAWYER on. States laws vary and while the executor has legal obligations, that may have different restrictions from state to state (not following them could go from criminal, to best attempt required).
That doesn't get into the tricks that things like debt collectors will try (even if they are not the deceased's debts/ID theft)

Ultralight
12-31-15, 8:19pm
ULTRA, in honesty, this ISN'T a forum item, but something you should consult a LAWYER on. States laws vary and while the executor has legal obligations, that may have different restrictions from state to state (not following them could go from criminal, to best attempt required).
That doesn't get into the tricks that things like debt collectors will try (even if they are not the deceased's debts/ID theft)

I have a lawyer. I will use him.

freshstart
1-1-16, 2:06am
One observation - this trust has made dealing with the estate 10x less of a pain. There's no probate, a couple of forms filed and I was able to pick up the reins of her finances/home maintenance/... within a few days of the death. Skipping probate alone is so well worth it that I would encourage people to look into this.

good to know, thank you