PDA

View Full Version : Chobani yogurt

CathyA
2-17-16, 11:57am
I buy the 32 oz of the no-fat Plain Chobani greek yogurt and eat some every day.....for the cultures.
Last week I went to the store and they didn't have the plain, so I bought 2 big containers of the "Simply 100". It seemed similar. they were selling a bunch of these. Now I know why.

Well, it's one of the worst things I've ever tasted............and there aren't too many things I don't like.

DH said he would help me get rid of it, by putting it on his oatmeal this morning. He said it reminded him exactly of that thick white paste we used to use in grade school many years ago, and he didn't have a very good breakfast experience.

Anyone else try it? I think it's absolutely disgusting.
I called their consumer line and gave them my opinion. Didn't even get any free coupons for my usual stuff, but I'm still going to throw it all out. :(

I think they need a new math department too. On the back, it says that a serving is 1 cup..........but the "100" is a 2/3 cup serving.

JaneV2.0
2-17-16, 12:04pm
I've never had Chobani. I like Zoi Greek plain and Mountain High Original, both full fat.

lessisbest
2-17-16, 12:40pm
If I purchase yogurt, which isn't very often because I make my own dairy kefir and will use it) - I purchase Stoneyfield Organic - plain (whole or low-fat - which ever I can find reduced). In fact, I found a 32-oz. container at the store today reduced to $1.99 and purchased it. The reason I'll purchase Stoneyfield is because they have 6 kinds of cultures in it, while other commercial kinds have only one or two cultures in them. I've found "greek" yogurt an expensive and overrated food item because you can drain any kind of yogurt to thicken it. Better yet, make your own for a fraction of the cost if you consume it regularly.

If it's cultures you are interested in, then I would suggest making your own water kefir and/or dairy kefir using real kefir grains. Kefir is far superior than commercial yogurt when it comes to cultures, kefir contains more kinds of cultures, and their ability to colonize your gut is superior to yogurt. Kefir is easier to digest. Yogurt isn't the best choice for this - yet one more yogurt myth. I think I included this information and the link in another post recently.

JaneV2.0
2-17-16, 12:45pm
I really should make my own yogurt and/or kefir, as I have a source for raw milk just up the street. I think Zoi and Mountain High have about four cultures, but they're not without additives.

IshbelRobertson
2-17-16, 1:55pm
I buy Fage Greek yoghurt, made in Greece. Tastes the same here in the UK as in Greece.

JaneV2.0
2-17-16, 4:09pm
I've thought about trying Fage, but it's hard to find the whole milk variety around here, I suppose I could buy low-fat and add cream, but that would just encourage them. :doh:

Ultralight
2-17-16, 4:20pm
I eat Stonyfield organic full-fat, whole milk yogurt.

And it is yummy!

JaneV2.0
2-17-16, 4:23pm
Stonyfield is good. I rarely see it in the stores here.

lmerullo
2-17-16, 5:50pm
Fage is my favorite. If I'm eating it plain, that's the brand I buy. If I mix it into my green smoothie, store brand. Both in the plain variety - I don't do all the added sugar with flavored.

I did have a bad experience with one brand, but don't think it was this 100 kind. Might have been oikos.

IshbelRobertson
2-18-16, 6:18am
I avoid any yoghurt described as 'Greek-style'.

kib
2-18-16, 10:19am
On the rare occasions that I've purchased something that I think is absolutely gross, I've returned it to the store. I figure they can use some feedback on things that they really shouldn't be stocking. If something is just not to my taste but I feel other people probably like it then I don't do this, and I realize that you're probably far away from shopping, but voicing my opinion makes me feel better and I've never had a store refuse to take something back.

pony mom
2-18-16, 8:41pm
I think the Chobani 100 is sweetened with Stevia. I don't like it----leaves a vomity aftertaste. I always buy the 2% fat kind, mostly pineapple or strawberry/banana. It's sweetened with sugar but I need the extra fat.

I've tried a few others with Stevia and they were awful.

rosarugosa
2-19-16, 5:05am
Stonyfield organic full-fat, whole milk plain yogurt used to be my favorite, but now I'm totally in love with goat's milk yogurt from Trader Joe's, also a whole milk, full-fat plain variety. The stuff is amazingly yummy!
I've never been much of a yogurt eater, but I think I just dislike sweet yogurt and like it better as a savory food. I eat it with a bunch of freshly-ground black pepper.