PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for adding more sweet potatoes to diet?

rosarugosa
3-20-16, 6:47pm
We like sweet potatoes and they're supposed to be very good for us, but we seldom eat them. We had them tonight in a favorite dish with chicken and mango, kind of like a curry. Any other suggestions for fairly easy and tasty ways to incorporate them into our diets?

razz
3-20-16, 7:01pm
I was advised to slice them into wedges, brush with oil and roast them which was a very tasty way to eat them. Some use them in lieu of pumpkin in pies or other baked goods. I have not tried that as yet. If you BBQ, you could cut them into chunks with the other veggies and grill them, drizzling with oil pepper and salt and other spices to taste.
Looking forward to more ideas from others as I enjoy them as well.

herbgeek
3-20-16, 7:10pm
Sweet potato fries, shredded up in pancakes with a little onion, in massaman curry, with black beans as a burrito filling (with cumin and some hot peppers), mashed like regular potatoes with a little butter and cream, are a few of my favorites.

rodeosweetheart
3-20-16, 7:26pm
We just had them tonight in a stir fry, along with kale, onion, carrots, and celery, with salt, pepper, ginger, and turmeric. They really add a nice flavor.

freshstart
3-20-16, 8:48pm
I sub them for potatoes in every crockpot dish because they are my favorite food. I also nuked one for lunch almost everyday when I was working. The best tasting (IMO) of all the superfoods

Simplemind
3-21-16, 12:39am
Cubed and roasted or mashed, we eat them almost every night. Very rarely do we cross paths with a white potato anymore.

lessisbest
3-21-16, 8:07am
- Shred a sweet potato and add it to your coleslaw and tossed salad.

- One of our favorite uses is as microwave baked sweet potato chips.

- Sweet potato biscuits is a good use for leftover mashed sweet potatoes.

- I make mashed sweet potatoes (no dairy or fat) when they are really cheap after Thanksgiving (39-cents per pound) and dehydrate it in a thin layer (like fruit rolls-ups) in the dehydrator until crispy. Then I blend the dried sheets of sweet potato into a powder and use it for "instant" mashed sweet potatoes (that's when I add the dairy/butter). You "just add hot water" and make instant mashed sweet potatoes.

- Crispy Parmesan-Rosemary Sweet Potato Stacks - http://www.thecomfortofcooking.com/2014/11/crispy-parmesan-rosemary-sweet-potato-stacks.html
This is a recipe I use for both sweet potatoes and white potatoes. Make enough for leftovers because they make tasty fried potatoes for breakfast. I make them in individual silicon muffin/cupcake cups and freeze them to heat later.

SAUTEED SWEET POTATOES AND PEPPERS
(This is one of those recipes, once you've made, you won't need the recipe and can make it using any number of sweet potatoes and peppers. I usually make it with 1 sweet potato since this recipe makes 8 servings. I omit the onions and will add some chopped chives and parsley at the end.)

1-1/2# sweet potatoes (about 4 medium), peeled, cut into 1/2" cubes
2 c. frozen finely chopped onions
1 large red bell pepper, finely chopped (1-1/2-cups)
1/3 c. water
1/2 t. salt
dash pepper
1/4 c. chopped fresh chives or parsley

1. In a large nonstick skillet, combine all ingredients except chives. Bring to a boil.
2. Reduce heat to medium; cover and cook 13-15 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Sprinkle with chives.
Makes 8 (2/3-c.) servings.

pinkytoe
3-21-16, 9:28am
We use them a lot. Two favorites are red lentil curry with sweet potato and some coconut milk added. Black bean salad with sweet potato, red bell, green onions, tossed in a cumin based dressing.
I no longer roast whole ones as I find it easiest just to peel, cut in small chunks and steam. They are done in minutes that way and can be added to whatever.

Rogar
3-21-16, 10:19am
I do oven roasted sweet potato fries. I cut them and then soak in water to 15 minutes or so first, which is supposed to remove some of the starches. Then coat them in spices and roast at about 400 degrees, turned a couple of times, until tender. I works a little better to toss them with a little oil first before tossing with spices, but I sometimes by-pass this. I make a reasonably large batch at once. I've not tried freezing them, but they reheat nicely in the microwave.

JaneV2.0
3-21-16, 10:44am
I've seen recipes for sweet potato nachos; haven't tried them. Might be good. http://paleogrubs.com/nacho-recipe

Float On
3-21-16, 10:46am
I've been adding sweet potato to a lot of things. Here is one I like a lot Sweet Potato, Kale, and Shrimp http://www.primaverakitchen.com/sweet-potato-kale-and-shrimp-skillet/

Baked, twice baked, mashed, hashed, roasted, pureed in pie or bread or muffins...I love sweet potato.

merince
3-21-16, 11:11am
Fry them like french fries

Ultralight
3-21-16, 11:14am
Learn from my mistake:

You cannot inject them intravenously.

iris lilies
3-21-16, 12:33pm
Learn from my mistake:

You cannot inject them intravenously.
Hahaha.

My friend grows sweet potatoes on our land in a small plot we lend to her. She pays "rent" in sweet potatoes.

i will say that I detect no difference in home grown vs Store bought. Her sweet potatoes are nice, but nothing I cant buy.

I am enjoying this thread because I think we should eat more sweet potatoes. I do eat a carrot a day, so that surely has similar nutrients, both being orange root vegetables.

pinkytoe
3-21-16, 1:46pm
I think I read that the Vit A in orange foods are best released when consumed with some fat, ie butter or coconut oil.

Ultralight
3-21-16, 1:52pm
butter

:cool:

rosarugosa
3-21-16, 6:49pm
Wow, thanks for the ideas everyone! Looks like this group loves sweet potatoes almost as much as we love our salad spinners!

Sloeginfizz
3-21-16, 11:10pm
I, personally, have a strong dislike of sweet potatoes, but my husband is very fond of them. He likes them best, just simply baked with a bit of butter. He also likes to put them in smoothies, with fruit and such.

lessisbest
3-22-16, 8:19am
Hahaha.

My friend grows sweet potatoes on our land in a small plot we lend to her. She pays "rent" in sweet potatoes.

i will say that I detect no difference in home grown vs Store bought. Her sweet potatoes are nice, but nothing I cant buy.

I am enjoying this thread because I think we should eat more sweet potatoes. I do eat a carrot a day, so that surely has similar nutrients, both being orange root vegetables.

With just a few changes and you can triple the nutrients you get from orange carrots (orange carrots are much lower in phytonutrients than purple carrots, so buy purple carrots if they are available - just as I choose purple corn and black/purple rice). Avoid so called "baby" carrots because they have been whittled down to a smaller, more uniform size. This process removed much of the nutrients that are just below the surface of the carrot. The greatest amount of nutrients is in the skin and the tissue right below it. Therefore, scrub or scrape your carrots rather than peel them. Peeling them removes about 1/3 of the phytonutrients. Buy carrots that still have the green tops on them. Carrots are actually better for you when cooked. Cooking breaks down the tough cell walls making some of the nutrients more bioavailable - add a little fat or oil to the cooked carrots and you will have up to 8X more beta-carotene than raw baby carrots. This information is from "Eating on the Wild Side" by Jo Robinson.

When it comes to sweet potatoes, the deeper the color of the flesh, the greater the antioxidant content. "Ounce per ounce, the skin is more nutritious than the flesh, so eat the whole thing. ...Steaming, roasting, or baking them can double their antioxidant value, BUT boiling reduces it."

iris lilies
3-22-16, 10:40am
Lessisbest, thank you for that. DH isnt fond of sweet potatoes but he will eat carrots until the cows come. But purple carrots? that sounds expensive and Wholefoods-ish! But if you are eating them, they must be reasonably priced smewhere.

JaneV2.0
3-22-16, 10:44am
I've found purple carrots (with yellow and orange) at Trader Joe's. I avoid Whole Foods. (A new garden crop for your DH?)

iris lilies
3-22-16, 10:54am
I've found purple carrots (with yellow and orange) at Trader Joe's. I avoid Whole Foods. (A new garden crop for your DH?)
Maybe. I will not eat the orange carrotsmhe grows, they taste like soap.

rodeosweetheart
3-22-16, 11:01am
We grew Purple Dragon carrots 2 years ago and are now spoiled for any other carrot--they are dreamy, sauteed in butter with salt and pepper and a little ginger.

The Storyteller
3-22-16, 3:27pm
I keep some in my file cabinet at work and eat one on morning break about 2 or 3 times a week. I just wash it, stick it in the microwave and hit the Potato button. Sometimes with large ones, I section them in half or threes so they cook better. Eat them skin and all when sectioned, or slice down the middle and scoop it out with a spoon when whole. I don't add anything because I don't feel I need to. Delicious on its own.

Low calorie, nutritious, filling, and tasty.

I forgot to bring some this week so thanks for the reminder. :)

lessisbest
3-22-16, 3:54pm
Lessisbest, thank you for that. DH isnt fond of sweet potatoes but he will eat carrots until the cows come. But purple carrots? that sounds expensive and Wholefoods-ish! But if you are eating them, they must be reasonably priced smewhere.

It's a DIY project. ;) Carrots are relatively easy to grow in pots or in the ground and I grow some purple carrots and orange carrots. Just be sure to eat a wide variety of colors when it comes to fruits and vegetables each day. And choose those blue corn chips once in a while over white or yellow corn (I also mill sprouted blue corn for cornmeal), and try black rice occasionally. My son grew purple potatoes last year that were a hit.

lessisbest
3-22-16, 3:59pm
I keep some in my file cabinet at work and eat one on morning break about 2 or 3 times a week. I just wash it, stick it in the microwave and hit the Potato button. Sometimes with large ones, I section them in half or threes so they cook better. Eat them skin and all when sectioned, or slice down the middle and scoop it out with a spoon when whole. I don't add anything because I don't feel I need to. Delicious on its own.

Low calorie, nutritious, filling, and tasty.

I forgot to bring some this week so thanks for the reminder. :)

You may be missing out by not adding a little fat to your sweet potato.

(Source: http://www.intoxicatedonlife.com/2013/06/19/eat-vegetables-with-fat/

When you eat vegetables with fat, you unleash the vitamin and antioxidant power in your vegetables. Many vitamins, including A, D, E, and K that are found in your fruits and vegetables are fat soluble. If you are not getting adequate fat when you eat your vegetables, your body simply can’t use these vitamins.
When you eat fat with your vegetables it will also help satiate you and fill you up. A diet of vegetables alone with no fat will often leave you feeling hungry and unsatisfied.

But, when you pair those vegetables with fat, you’ll feel so much better! Not only will fats satiate you and nourish your brain, fats unlock the potential for your body to use the vitamins in those veggies. So slather that broccoli in plenty of butter. Fry those sweet potatoes in coconut oil. Drizzle your salad with plenty of olive oil.

JaneV2.0
3-22-16, 4:00pm
Maybe. I will not eat the orange carrotsmhe grows, they taste like soap.

Maybe he's planting them too close to the cilantro? :idea:

The Storyteller
3-22-16, 4:19pm
You may be missing out by not adding a little fat to your sweet potato.

(Source: http://www.intoxicatedonlife.com/2013/06/19/eat-vegetables-with-fat/

When you eat vegetables with fat, you unleash the vitamin and antioxidant power in your vegetables. Many vitamins, including A, D, E, and K that are found in your fruits and vegetables are fat soluble. If you are not getting adequate fat when you eat your vegetables, your body simply can’t use these vitamins.
When you eat fat with your vegetables it will also help satiate you and fill you up. A diet of vegetables alone with no fat will often leave you feeling hungry and unsatisfied.

But, when you pair those vegetables with fat, you’ll feel so much better! Not only will fats satiate you and nourish your brain, fats unlock the potential for your body to use the vitamins in those veggies. So slather that broccoli in plenty of butter. Fry those sweet potatoes in coconut oil. Drizzle your salad with plenty of olive oil.

Yeah, I don't think so. Just browsing through the site it's clear the authors don't know what they are talking about.

Thanks for the suggestion, anyway, though. :)

ApatheticNoMore
3-22-16, 4:49pm
Ok, since what is being argued here: that certain vitamins (fat soluble ones) are better absorbed in fat is mainstream nutrition pretty much (not fringe at all), I decided ok even though this is what I have heard from mainstream nutrition all my life maybe it's not true.

http://www.berkeleywellness.com/supplements/vitamins/article/fat-soluble-vitamins

Hmm.

As for purple carrots, I have had them but:
1) they dye everything purple, not your dishes - they don't stain, but all your soups will be purple if you use purple rather than orange carrots, if you don't mind purple chicken noodle soup and so on, then go for it, but you have to admit it's a little weird ... the orange carrots don't dye that way.
2) they seem to get wilty much faster than normal carrots, they are kind of limp by nature I think
3) lots of imposters, ok not really imposters, real carrots, but carrots that are only purple on the outside and white or orange inside, the true purple carrots that are purple all the way through are harder to find. I'm eating one of the imposters (purple half way through white the rest of the way now, shredded, on salad (with fat).

The Storyteller
3-22-16, 5:53pm
Oh, I have no objection to fats, as long as I keep the calories from going way over my personal goals. I just prefer the right ones. And since I no longer consume dairy of any kind, I'm not sure what kind of fat I'm supposed to put on a baked sweet potato. :)

Besides, according to my food calculator, I get several hundred percent over the RDA for pretty much all vitamins because of what I eat, so even if they aren't absorbed as well, I'm not sure it matters when I'm consuming about 6 times the recommended daily amount.

JaneV2.0
3-22-16, 7:34pm
Truffle-infused olive oil (also available at Trader Joe's) works well on white potatoes (and cauliflower). Not sure how it would work on sweet potatoes.

rosarugosa
3-22-16, 7:46pm
Storyteller: What about fat in the form of olive oil? I just love that stuff.

The Storyteller
3-22-16, 8:35pm
Storyteller: What about fat in the form of olive oil? I just love that stuff.
Me too. :)

The Storyteller
3-22-16, 8:37pm
Truffle-infused olive oil (also available at Trader Joe's) works well on white potatoes (and cauliflower). Not sure how it would work on sweet potatoes.

Wouldn't hurt to try!

The Storyteller
3-26-16, 1:45pm

Okay, I don't have truffle oil, but I did try just extra virgin olive oil today. Cut the potato somewhat thin before baking, sprayed a little on it and very lightly salted before eating. All I can say is...

Wow.

Thanks for the tip! I don't know how much better for me it is, but it was delicious. :)

HappyHiker
5-9-16, 7:05pm
Though I adore sweet potatoes roasted in the oven (but they take a long time!), my fast go-to method is to slice them (with skin on after scrubbing) and steam them. Then I drizzle them with a bit of maple syrup and a light dusting of cinnamon and serve as a side dish. Just had some tonight. Yum.

Packratona!
5-14-16, 12:38pm
Central American style beef stew, with sweet potatoes, yuca, plantains, corn, some other stuff. To die for.