PDA

View Full Version : Vegetable spiralizer

The Storyteller
4-11-16, 1:58pm
Hello, all. I'm probably the last person on here to know of this, but on a health related FB group someone posted a picture of her spiralized vegetables for the week, including cucumber, daikon radish, zucchini, beets, and sweet potatoes. It looked awesome and peaked my interest. She said she uses the below spiralizer to do it.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51btjafTq0L._SX425_.jpg

Do you do this sort of thing? Is it as good as it looks? Which spiralizer do you use?

An example of spiralized veggies...

http://fitfoodiefinds.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/veggies5.jpg

Ultralight
4-11-16, 2:00pm
No matter how you spin them, veggies just don't taste very good. :(

The Storyteller
4-11-16, 2:29pm
No matter how you spin them, veggies just don't taste very good. :(

You really should get that looked at.

iris lilies
4-11-16, 3:02pm
ok, I'll bite.

Why must one go through all of this messing about with veggies?

Why can't you just chop them up in easy pieces and do whatever it is to them that you were going to do to the spiraled version?

Is it that the spiral versions are new, novel, and seem more appetizing? Really, what is the advantage here? If you want to use a tomato sauce on carrots, for instance, do that.

herbgeek
4-11-16, 3:39pm
I spiralize zucchini into noodles because I can't really cut it into the right size pieces with a knife. The spiral cut also makes it look/act more like real noodles would. There's more "bounce" than a straight cut would provide. I use these for a summer time salad with a peanut dressing as a lower carb/gluten free alternative.

KayLR
4-11-16, 3:41pm
My Weight Watchers leader talks about her stupid spiralizer SO much that I've decided I will never buy one. I'm kind of on the same page as iris_lilies. Not sure I could justify the expense of it, much less the storage space.

The Storyteller
4-11-16, 4:16pm
ok, I'll bite.

Why can't you just chop them up in easy pieces and do whatever it is to them that you were going to do to the spiraled version?

Why do anything? Why not just eat them whole? Much easier to just grab a carrot or cucumber or celery stalk and eat it whole. Less work and no cleanup. ;)

It's just another way to eat my veggies that looks interesting to me. Since I'm moving toward a plant based diet (100% on most days of the week), I'm on the lookout for novel and interesting ways to combine them. A "salad" made up of cool looking noodles with tons of nutrition is very appealing to me. Besides, I don't particularly like "bite size chunks" in a salad. They end up working their way to the bottom of the bowl to the point where I'm just picking at them with a fork at best or, at worst, switching to a spoon to finish it up.

That, and I find some veggies difficult to chew.

Ultralight
4-11-16, 4:17pm
Why not just eat them whole?

They taste bad?

creaker
4-11-16, 4:36pm
ok, I'll bite.

Is it that the spiral versions are new, novel, and seem more appetizing? Really, what is the advantage here? If you want to use a tomato sauce on carrots, for instance, do that.

One could ask the same about pasta - it's all same ingredients. Why do all those shapes when you could just use couscous for everything?

iris lilies
4-11-16, 4:52pm
One could ask the same about pasta - it's all same ingredients. Why do all those shapes when you could just use couscous for everything?

Funny you should say this.

I am a traditionalist when it comes to pasta, I like about 3 standard shapes: elbow, spaghetti, linguinne. Ok, add in some penne now and then.

OTOH, DH gets all excited when I suggest he pick out a new shape.

Whatevah.

JaneV2.0
4-11-16, 8:31pm
I'm another who's fond of pasta shapes--radiatori, orrechiete, angel hair, rotini. Too bad, because I rarely eat it any more. Different shapes and textures absorb sauce differently and provide distinctly different mouthfeel. One of my favorites, radiatore, is particularly chewy. I haven't tried vegetable "noodles" yet, but I'm open to the idea.

ApatheticNoMore
4-11-16, 9:06pm
Well I imagine you could achieve somewhat the same thing by grating vegetables (though that's a lot of work!) or using a vegetable peeler though that's some work too if you want large quantities.

jp1
4-11-16, 9:31pm
Can the spiralizer make one crazy long strand of wavy vegetable noodle like a raman noodle? Boil it up, toss in a packet of MSG powder. Now THAT would be awesome! And perfect for the poor starving college student crowd.

Selah
4-12-16, 12:10am
I loved my spiralizer and sadly lost it two moves ago. I will definitely get another one. I loved making zucchini "pasta," which my DH (who has celiac disease) can eat. It's faster than boiling water for pasta, and gets me my green vegetables, which for some reason I never get around to eating enough of. I didn't use that model, though...I used a horizontal one that didn't take up much space and cost about $39. I would stir-fry my long crazy ribbons in peanut oil or walnut oil, then add asian or Tex-Mex spices. Yum!

lessisbest
4-12-16, 7:30am
Using a vegetable spiralizer is just another choice we all get to make when preparing food each day. It's neither right nor wrong - just a choice. Although it's a fun choice that seems to help get children interested in eating more vegetables. In my opinion, as someone who avoids gluten-containing foods, it's a better choice than using gluten-free spaghetti because most gluten-free pasta products are made with rice, and I try to limit rice and rice products due to the amount of arsenic in rice.

Ultralight
4-12-16, 7:36am
There is something about this thread that is... kind of bizarre.

CathyA
4-12-16, 9:12am
"Bizarre" is in the eye of the beholder. I bought DD a Paderno spiralizer for christmas. She's a vegan. She loves it. It's an easy, attractive way to make big bowls of various veggies.
ULA..........I'm sure some of your possessions would seem bizarre to some of us too. :~)
It's sort of like the salad spinner thing. Some of us are into cooking and kitchen items.......that make our lives a bit easier. It's a continuum, as is everything in life. you have to decide what works for you and how it affects the earth ultimately, how it makes your life a little easier, etc., etc., etc.

Ultralight
4-12-16, 9:13am
I'm sure some of your possessions would seem bizarre to some of us too. :~)

You are very likely right!

SteveinMN
4-12-16, 9:30am
It's sort of like the salad spinner thing. Some of us are into cooking and kitchen items.......that make our lives a bit easier. It's a continuum, as is everything in life. you have to decide what works for you and how it affects the earth ultimately, how it makes your life a little easier, etc., etc., etc.
Exactly. My salad spinner earns its keep for greens and herbs of all kinds. The spiralizer I got as a gift got one run (I think...) and I decided I would not use it enough to justify its keep. DD now has it; no idea if she's using it (just went back to work after baby, so things are not yet normal at her house). But if a spiralizer makes someone else's life simple, I'm all for it.

danna
4-12-16, 9:40am
I must confess as a person who does not own many contraptions this one interested me so much
that a I watched and watched till Canadian Tire had a $40.00 on sale for $20.00 plus extra points day
and got myself one.
It is actually being using a lot...most zucchini for pasta (with all types of sauce) and salad, will try more
different veggies in the summer I am sure. There is something about the texture that is making it good to eat.
Also, did sweet potatoes and oven fried with spices sort of like you get at "Arby's but without all the
preservatives and excess oil.....really, really good.
This one does not take a lot of space and has different blades to make many different sizes and shapes
Yes I am hooked....at least for now.....lol

frugal-one
4-12-16, 10:20am
I bought an Inspiralizer... can choose size with a turn of a knob. DH does not like veggies but will eat these because they are not so big and can be used like noodles. Also, take less time to roast. Love it!

Here are the posts we had previously on this subject. I posted different recipe sites as well. frugal-one
http://www.simplelivingforum.net/showthread.php?12980-Spiralizer-Recipes&highlight=inspiralizer

Amaranth
4-15-16, 10:32am
The Storyteller, what kind of spiralizer is that one? I have a friend looking for a sturdy metal one. Also does anyone here know if the kitchenaid attachment one works well and holds up well?

The Storyteller
4-18-16, 2:46pm
http://www.amazon.com/Benriner-BN7-Cook-Helper-Slicer/dp/B000BI6CZ8?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_sfl_title_2&smid=A16SZBMKQEFINK

rosarugosa
4-18-16, 4:23pm
I want one!

CathyA
4-18-16, 4:30pm
This is the one I bought DD.

http://www.amazon.com/Paderno-World-Cuisine-A4982799-Tri-Blade/dp/B0007Y9WHQ/ref=sr_1_2?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1461011355&sr=1-2&keywords=paderno+spiralizer