PDA

View Full Version : Yippee! DH starts his new job today!

saguaro
4-18-11, 9:29am
Well, after over 2 years of being unemployed, DH starts his new job today. He was laid off in January 2009 during the height of the massive job losses occurring during the recession. He put in over 15 years at the place and even after good reviews and raises, it came without warning. He was completely shocked and dismayed...he never ever been unemployed before.

Thank you, YMOYL. If I had never come across that book back in '92 and later to this board in all its incarnations, we would have been in a world of financial hurt during this lengthy period of unemployment. Because of SL, we managed to keep the bills paid and even save some money. We were just starting to reguarly dip into the emergency fund after he maxed out on unemployment in January when this job materialized. Funny, the EF was actually the money saved over the years when my company at the time was continually reorganizing and downsizing and I was constantly working under fear of being unemployed. We never thought we would have to actually use it for when he lost his job as his position was considered more secure. Boy, were we ever wrong on that.

Anyway, I just wanted to share....the relief that DH is feeling is immense! :)

Float On
4-18-11, 10:36am
Congratulations on the new job!
And congratulations on a job well done with your money management!

Gina
4-18-11, 11:15am
Congratulations. :) Ill be willing to bet you'll be saving even more now to build that emergency fund back up. Nice how having a cushion works.

loosechickens
4-18-11, 2:45pm
oh, I'm so glad, Saguaro.........know your anxiety levels are much lower. Congratulations to your DH on his new job.

Kat
4-18-11, 5:13pm
Yay! I bet it feels great to get back to work again! :-)

Mrs-M
4-18-11, 6:05pm
What welcome news! In addition to the great news I'm sending an additional volley of well wishes your way!

Lainey
4-18-11, 8:42pm
Thanks for letting us know, and be sure to plan a tiny celebration when that first paycheck comes in!

danna
4-18-11, 11:03pm
Good news and, as above it is great to save and I am sure you will, but a bit of a celebration is in order...

saguaro
4-23-11, 5:51pm
Thanks! DH's first week at work went well and already he is saying that his old work habits are coming back easily.

During his time of unemployment we did a lot of things such as DH launching his freelance business, both of us going back to school and learning to garden! You can be darn sure that we aren't letting up on those activities.

Interestingly enough, I did a calculation on our money sitch and we are actually a bit further ahead than we were when he was first let go. Except for our mortgage, we are completely debt free though we may need to get a new car soon. DH's car has over 200k miles and is fading fast. We would have replaced it a year or so back except but with him umemployed, we were able to keep it going longer. But we have the money for a decent downpayment when the time comes. We want to see how this job goes before taking that plunge.

fidgiegirl
4-23-11, 6:32pm
What a load off. Sounds like you had a productive "time off" period and learned valuable skills, ones that will stay with you forever. How great.

And how awesome that you actually have more money than before!