PDA

View Full Version : Excited to be here!

Jdemyen
4-19-11, 1:21am
Hello everyone!
I am so excited to have found a forum like this to share ideas with like-minded individuals.

Since having kids, my husband and I find ourselves increasingly frustrated with the consumerism surrounding us. We live very close to our family members (which can be wonderful), but that has caused us a lot of grief since most of our family members are obsessed with acquiring the fanciest, prettiest things available, while we are making every effort to get rid of "stuff" in our lives.

I am currently a SAHM to two beautiful little boys ages 2 and 11 months. Prior to having kids, I worked in the oil and gas industry in downtown Calgary and witnessed a ridiculous amount of greed, excess, and overall wasteful behaviour. My colleagues had very little regard for the environment, their spouses, or the simple pleasures in life. They would brag about their cars, their homes, their expense accounts, etc. to the point where it could almost make your head spin. When my husband and I decided to have kids, we moved back home to raise them around our family and friends in a much less materialistic environment, and I couldn't be happier with our choice.

I make most things from scratch (bread, cookies, lard, deodorant, shea butter, laundry soap) and have finally built up a great list of resources to obtain all of our meat, eggs, milk, etc. from local farmers who raise grass-fed, pasture raised animals that are free from hormones and antibiotics. I love to garden, camp, fish, do yoga, sit outside, and I usually have about 5 or 6 books that I'm reading at any given time.

I really look forward to learning more about simple living from each of you, and I hope that I am able to provide some feedback to help others, as well.

iris lily
4-19-11, 7:01am
It's nice to have you here. The changes your family made in their lives to live a more authentic life are very impressive.

Kestra
4-19-11, 7:33am
Welcome from Winnipeg. I've been a member of these forums (at a prior site and here) for over 5 years now and it's always a comfort to know there are some like minded people around.

Mrs-M
4-19-11, 5:43pm
A big warm welcome Jdemyen! What a wonderful addition you're going to make to this big and happy SL family!

fidgiegirl
4-19-11, 7:11pm
Welcome!

razz
4-19-11, 9:41pm
Welcome from Ontario!
If you follow through on your initiative, you will find that gradually even the family wills start noticing the lack of stress in your lives and wonder how you can achieve this. Be the change you want to see is the phrase that I have heard that seems to apply.

Sad Eyed Lady
4-20-11, 12:13am
Welcome to you. I am sure you will feel right at home here.