PDA

View Full Version : General emergency preparedness...

Ultralight
5-27-16, 1:30pm
When I lived with my sis and BIL I had only the very basics of emergency preparedness -- a dozen bottles of water, some shelf-stable foods, some cash, etc.

Now that I live alone I cannot spread that risk around (like what I could not cover, perhaps my sis and BIL could, and vice versa).

Yesterday I felt the urge to put together a small BOB and set it near my bicycle at the doorway. So if something wacky happened I could:
1. Grab-and-go on my way out to my car.
2. Grab-and-go on my bike if there was a problem with the car/traffic.

But then I thought, is this really necessary?

bae
5-27-16, 1:50pm
No. In an emergency it is best if you plan on being a burden to others.

Ultralight
5-27-16, 1:53pm
No. In an emergency it is best if you plan on being a burden to others.

bae: Now that you phrase it that way, I really could not agree more!

Gardenarian
5-27-16, 6:28pm
I've got an emergency kit in my car and at home, and keep extra meds and some energy bars at work.
You don't have to prepare for the end of the world; a decent first aid kit, water & food for a few days, meds if you need them, and some knowledge about how to respond to emergencies would probably do it.

On a bike, I would just have sufficient water, extra cash, and a cell phone at all times. I usually keep some sunscreen and bandaids in my backpack, too.

Ultralight
5-27-16, 6:48pm
I've got an emergency kit in my car and at home, and keep extra meds and some energy bars at work.
You don't have to prepare for the end of the world; a decent first aid kit, water & food for a few days, meds if you need them, and some knowledge about how to respond to emergencies would probably do it.

On a bike, I would just have sufficient water, extra cash, and a cell phone at all times. I usually keep some sunscreen and bandaids in my backpack, too.

Ever had to use this stuff?

ToomuchStuff
5-28-16, 9:09am
What does BOB stand for?
When I read small BOB, all my brain came up with was Bob the builder.

iris lilies
5-28-16, 10:15am
What does BOB stand for?
When I read small BOB, all my brain came up with was Bob the builder.
probably Bug Out Bag, meaning a bag that contains life necessesities. A BOB! A s always prepared and ready to go.

bae
5-28-16, 10:46am

Yesterday I was on a backcountry trail in Chaco Canyon. I usually hike fairly lightweight, as I find I can travel faster/further if I am not carrying a 50 pound pack, and my joints are happier. I prefer to substitute skill and multi-use items for lots of shiny expensive gear.

I was carrying an 9 pound pack, not including the weight of the water, which added another 10 pounds.

Along the trail, I encountered an injured person - using the items I had with me I treated their injuries, stabilized their arm with a sling and splint I fabricated with my shemaugh, rehydrated them and got them into shade, and called for assistance with my sat phone.

Outcomes might have been different if I'd only had a quart of water, a Snickers bar, and a cell phone in my pack...

catherine
5-28-16, 10:51am
But then I thought, is this really necessary?

I actually grapple with that. While I really resist obsessing over the future, I hate to say that I'm the grasshopper in the grasshopper/ant fable, because I don't see myself that way. I believe in prudence. So in today's world, that means whatever you might need in the likelihood of the kind of natural disaster that might be reasonable to expect.

So, in NJ, I'm not building a tornado bunker. We did experience Hurricane Sandy here, and we may have more of those occurrences with climate change, so maybe I'd get a generator (but I haven't). I also learned from the Hurricane Sandy experience that some type of emergency communications radio is really helpful. Maybe some extra bottled water--but I do have my rain barrel which is almost always full. I suppose I could get some water purifying tablets, or I could just boil it (I have a gas stove).

My guiding principle is generally "So don't worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring its own worries. Today's trouble is enough for today." (Apologies to the OP for the biblical injunction). But if a little trip to Home Depot will help in a disaster, and I have the room to store whatever it might be, why not? Otherwise, let it be. If I die of starvation or dehydration, I'm 64 and I've lived a good life.

Gardenarian
5-28-16, 7:13pm

Yes. My library was on lock down overnight and I was really glad I had prepared.
I've used the first aid kit in my car many times. (Outings with kids, mostly.)
The stuff in my backpack, I use all the time. Having a stash of cash is a big help. And it's surprising how often someone needs a bandaid or sunblock.

Oh, I also carry my AAA card - if you're a member, they'll help you out if you have a bike problem. I haven't had to use that service, but, just in case.

I was in the 1989 SF earthquake, and our water was off for several days. I had just moved and was not prepared. Luckily, water was readily available elsewhere.

herbgeek
5-29-16, 8:08am
Yesterday I was at my niece's birthday party. In the course of an hour, I used my Swiss army knife to open a bottle, a bandaid and Neosporin for one of the kids who fell and scraped her knee, and a lighter for birthday candles. So yes I do use this stuff I carry around. I'd be not as useful in Bae's situation, but for everyday ones I am covered.

Tammy
5-29-16, 9:55am
I tend to carry all kinds of over-the-counter pills in my purse. Everybody knows to ask me for that sort of thing. They are all kept together in a little container unmarked I know what they are just by looking at them. This is not the way it is supposed to be done!

messengerhot
8-30-16, 3:10pm
I think these are only secondary stuffs. Better to bring your presence of mind. Save yourself and your family then the rest will follow.

jp1
8-30-16, 9:11pm
I think these are only secondary stuffs. Better to bring your presence of mind. Save yourself and your family then the rest will follow.

I do agree that having presence of mind to remain calm is a good thing, but is easier done (hopefully. I've never had to actually test this out) if one has thought about the most likely scenarios and how they would react. For instance, SO and I both work outside the home so there's a fair chance that we'll both not be home and also not be together when something happens. We've both agreed to reach out to my sister and SIL in the event that we can't contact each other after something happens (most likely an earthquake since we're in San Francisco). We've also got enough water stored on hand (and always have enough easy to cook food) to carry us for a couple of weeks if we're stuck at home with no running water. We also have a gas stove as well as a propane grill on the deck so hopefully basic cooking will be doable, at least for a few days if necesary. If the situation is bad enough that our apartment is not habitable then we'll need to leave. Our building is new, unlike most of our neighborhood, so if things get so bad that our building is destroyed the entire neighborhood will have been destroyed. In that case communication between us, even if through my sister, will be critical so that we don't waste time trying to go home first (several miles from where we both work). And ever since 9/11 I've always carried several hundred in cash in my daily backpack so that we can afford to buy gas or food or hotels without credit cards until we can get far enough away from the disaster.

freshstart
8-30-16, 9:27pm
When I was working, I had all kinds of first aid stuff in my car for patients. I was able to help people in minor car accidents twice. Now I don't even have a little kit. I have done nothing to prepare us for an emergency. I keep saying I'll set up the basement once the hoard is gone, which feels like it will be never. I think we need to get a generator this winter since both my mom and I use oxygen. On second thought, I've prepared- everyone has a flashlight with a crank so no batteries to worry about. And I have an emergency cash stash. I'm the worst, lol.

creaker
8-30-16, 9:38pm
I've been involved with the Red Cross putting smoke alarms into people's homes and doing the whole fire safety talk thing - they suggest having a go bag ready just in case. One thing I noticed is most of the folks we were talking to were elderly - also having a go bag in case you/your spouse/your parent has to go the hospital seems like a very good idea.

happystuff
10-7-16, 5:50pm
Interesting... we had a power issue with downed lines a couple of months ago. The police told us we had to evacuate... we never touched the grab-n-go bags!!! Did remember the poor, frightened cat, though! Fortunately it was only for a couple of hours, so we did get lucky, but I'm thinking I need to revisit the grab-n-go bags.

Tiam
11-11-16, 9:54pm
I'm kind of weirdly obsessed with having extra flashlights and electric lanterns. I use the flashlights...At night! :D

catherine
11-11-16, 10:15pm
I'm kind of weirdly obsessed with having extra flashlights and electric lanterns. I use the flashlights...At night! :D

Reminds me of my days living with my great-aunt at her beach cottage. We each had an "electric torch" on our nightstand, which we would use to light our way to the bathroom at night--or in case the power went out, I suppose.

Tybee
11-12-16, 10:01am
WE always had candles and matches for the same usage. Not sure why we didn't have flashlights, which were very available. I guess candles and matches were more frugal!
I still have candles and matches, along with oil lamps.

ToomuchStuff
11-12-16, 10:51am
WE always had candles and matches for the same usage. Not sure why we didn't have flashlights, which were very available. I guess candles and matches were more frugal!
I still have candles and matches, along with oil lamps.

We also had candles, matches and oil lamps. I think in part because of how prevalent smoking was (and those hang on the wall matchbook holders, were matches were given out like pens are now/advertising). Also in part was that generation, grew up without electricity (grandmothers house was the second wired house in her area as a kid, her boyfriends was the first), and batteries didn't last as long as candles or lamps. (cost verses return)

happystuff
8-15-17, 6:30pm
I realize this is an old thread but didn't want to start a new one just for this little addition. Just saying that I just got this for my car: https://www.amazon.com/BlizeTec-Emergency-Thermal-Survival-Blanket/dp/B01NH5SO0F/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1502836179&sr=8-5&keywords=emergency+tent+and+sleeping+bag

Haven't opened it and may not unless I "need" to, but liked the reviews and used Amazon credit, so it was basically free.

bae
8-15-17, 7:13pm
I strongly encourage people who carry mylar "emergency" blankets/bags/tents to open one up on a nice sunny day in your yard and play with it.

They are often quite fragile and need careful handling to turn them into a suitable shelter. And they work best in conjunction with other bits of gear or environmental materials. It's a good thing to figure this out *before* you need to use it on a cold-and-stormy night.

happystuff
8-17-17, 6:37am
Thanks, bae. Definitely a great reminder that I obviously needed.

simplelife4me
9-13-17, 5:49am
Heatsheets are better than mylar emergency blankets.

Miss Cellane
9-13-17, 12:20pm
I strongly encourage people who carry mylar "emergency" blankets/bags/tents to open one up on a nice sunny day in your yard and play with it.

They are often quite fragile and need careful handling to turn them into a suitable shelter. And they work best in conjunction with other bits of gear or environmental materials. It's a good thing to figure this out *before* you need to use it on a cold-and-stormy night.

I have one in my car. But it is to supplement the wool army blanket, poncho, the fleece jacket and windbreaker, wool socks and hat and gloves and scarf, and the polyfill "car travel blanket" that also live full-time in the car. Layers are good.

catherine
9-13-17, 12:38pm
I'm reminded in these posts of an ABC 20/20 show called "In an Instant": the premise is your life can be perilously close to ending "in an instant."

When I watched this show, I asked myself if I'd have had the basic necessities in my car if I had been stranded for 8 days. I'm sure the answer is "no"

http://abc.go.com/shows/in-an-instant/episode-guide/season-03/1-060417-whiteout

fmdog44
10-20-17, 10:34pm
I left before hurricane Harvey hit Houston Aug 28. When I returned I decided to make a list and keep it on file. I found over the few days after I started it I added one or two items I did not think of initially. Along with making a list make a second list of things you may need in your home when you return in case transportation and power are down. While I was not flooded the area 1/4 mile of me was devastated so all those businesses I used were closed. Food and water you can never stock too much.

LeonardoCandoza
4-1-19, 7:39pm
I think having a kit and general skills (starting a fire, making a shelter, etc.) is the best plan.