PDA

View Full Version : My white spool of thread morning

pinkytoe
5-31-16, 11:58am
I am in the process of altering clothes while I declutter and discovered I was out of white thread. No problem, I'll just run to the WalMart I never shop at since it's close. They'll have white thread, right? Nope, Out of stock. In the span of 1 1/2 hours, I went to three more stores searching for white thread. When I asked the checker at Big Lots where they might have thread, she said "what's thread?" I finally found one at a large grocery store. The irony of modern day consumerism. Or perhaps no one knows how to sew anymore. Now that I think about it though, it is sometimes hard to find what I thought were very basic things these days - even with all of the shopping choices.

iris lilies
5-31-16, 12:51pm
I remember the very day that the last fabric store left my city. We have no fabric stores within the city limits, gotta go to the 'burbs for it now. :(

JaneV2.0
5-31-16, 12:58pm
We had three or four comprehensive ones within a reasonable drive. I could walk to one of them. Also all gone.

It annoys me when I need thread or pins or velcro to have to drive for a half hour. But then my little burb is notorious for having absolutely no practical shopping. They put in a great big retailer--get this--to outfit triathletes. Hahaha. It might have lasted a year. We have another gigantic camera store, which I've never seen anyone enter. I think it's a front for something...
And that is why I order so much from Amazon, boys and girls.

sweetana3
5-31-16, 12:59pm
We have loads of fabric stores but they all surround the big downtown area (and take 30 minutes one way to get to). Oh, there is one tiny modern fabric store near me but I predict it will be priced out when their rent increases and they will be looking elsewhere. They are taking the huge antique Coke bottling plant across the street and putting in retail, 327 apartments, and all kinds of other things. Will dramatically affect all the businesses surrounding it. That street is already become "popular".

CathyA
5-31-16, 1:02pm
In this respect, some of my hoarding has paid off. I have just about every color thread I could ever want..........same goes for cross stitch thread. The only question is: has it disintegrated yet? :~)

I wonder how many young people even have sewing machines?......or even know what they are.

JaneV2.0
5-31-16, 1:13pm
In this respect, some of my hoarding has paid off. I have just about every color thread I could ever want..........same goes for cross stitch thread. The only question is: has it disintegrated yet? :~)

I wonder how many young people even have sewing machines?......or even know what they are.

Likewise, about the thread. I did need a specific color last year and had to make The Drive. Quilting is still a thing, so at least there are a few quilt fabric stores widely scattered about. There are quite a few creative and/or practical types who sew, judging by blogs and Pinterest.

iris lilies
5-31-16, 1:41pm
Quilters are saving fabric stores. Where it not for them, entire chains would be dead. JO Anne's fabrics devotes around 3/4 of its store now to crafts.

I will say that Hobby Lobby has a fabric selection where I found several fabric that wouod work for my project.

iris lilies
5-31-16, 1:46pm
One very useful thing in my sewing kit is a mess of embroidery thread of many many colors leftover from the early 1970's when we all embroidered flowers on our blue jeans. Remember those days?

Anyway, it has been a fine source for needed thread in any color for hand sewing and simple repairs.

JaneV2.0
5-31-16, 2:32pm
One very useful thing in my sewing kit is a mess of embroidery thread of many many colors leftover from the early 1970's when we all embroidered flowers on our blue jeans. Remember those days?

Anyway, it has been a fine source for needed thread in any color for hand sewing and simple repairs.

I do remember those days, though I was too lazy to do the embroidery, I had a couple of virtuosa friends. But I have every color of embroidery thread imaginable and one of those handy little braids http://tinyurl.com/j2ze8lh for mending. Oughta hold me.