PDA

View Full Version : how to hide outdoor central air unit

mattj
4-20-11, 1:46pm
Prior owners installed the outdoor central unit right in the middle of the patio, ugh! I am planning to build a "box" out of white lattice to cover it and try and reduce it's negative visual impact. I want something I can leave in place while it's running. Just wondering if any of you might have different suggestions.

peggy
4-20-11, 2:34pm
The lattice box sounds good, and if you put a top on the box you could even put a few potted plants on it. Make it sort of a potting table.

Mrs-M
4-20-11, 8:27pm
I would seriously look at having the unit moved to another location. Smack-dab in the middle of a patio? What were they thinking!

mattj
4-20-11, 8:55pm
It's old... we'll install the replacement elsewhere. Afraid this one would fall apart if we tried to move it!

Mrs-M
4-20-11, 10:13pm
The problem I have Mattj with attempting to mask it from it's surroundings is, you'd just be creating another additional problem/issue come time to reorient the unit. Why not make a few calls and see how much it would cost to relocate it.

Jdemyen
4-20-11, 10:50pm
I'm not too sure, but wouldn't it effect the efficacy of the unit to enclose it?

Kat
4-21-11, 6:07am
I know people do hide their units with lattice or well-placed shrubs/plants. I would think, though, that you would need to allow some space around the unit to allow it to do its thing. It might be wise to leave one side accessible, too, so you can get to it if it needs to be cleaned or serviced.

Wildflower
4-21-11, 6:09am
Not a good idea! You don't want anything around the CA unit that will decrease/impede the air flow. It will reduce efficiency, could and would cause the compressor to overheat, therefore shortening the lifespan of the unit greatly. The resulting higher electric bill and possible repair bills would not be worth it in my opinion. Enclosing your CA unit with lattice or anything else is not the thing to do....

mattj
4-21-11, 8:31am
So, painting it to match the house is emerging as a better option than the lattice enclosure.

redfox
4-21-11, 1:29pm
Ask your local teen to paint a mural on it! Instead of hiding it - make it an art piece...

mattj
4-21-11, 2:19pm
Ask your local teen to paint a mural on it! Instead of hiding it - make it an art piece...

Now that's creative!

redfox
4-21-11, 6:52pm
Now that's creative!

If you go this way - pictures pleeze!!!!