PDA

View Full Version : Grande Flora Hydrangea Died

Cypress
6-13-16, 11:42am
Unfortunately, the large grandeflora hydrangea in my front yard has died. The shrub grew to be a 15' tree with a full canopy and gorgeous blooms every August. Well, it suffered in 2011 when I installed a new roof and chimney, it was pushed around alot by the workmen but did come back. Since than, two dumps of roof snow from the roof on it didn't help. Branches broke, it kept having to recover and did not come back this spring. I guess I have to prune it and take it down.

The poor old thing. This is a favorite place to hang bird feeders during winter. They have learned to expect to find a suet cake always there. I guess I'll put up a shepherd's hook and decide what to do next.

iris lilies
6-13-16, 1:57pm
Awwww, am sorry to hear this! Its always hard to lose a big old plant.

rosarugosa
6-13-16, 7:30pm
That is too bad Cypress. :( I hope you find something wonderful to take its place and this turns from a sorrowful event into a golden opportunity.

Tenngal
6-20-16, 10:49am
Unfortunately, the large grandeflora hydrangea in my front yard has died. The shrub grew to be a 15' tree with a full canopy and gorgeous blooms every August. Well, it suffered in 2011 when I installed a new roof and chimney, it was pushed around alot by the workmen but did come back. Since than, two dumps of roof snow from the roof on it didn't help. Branches broke, it kept having to recover and did not come back this spring. I guess I have to prune it and take it down.

The poor old thing. This is a favorite place to hang bird feeders during winter. They have learned to expect to find a suet cake always there. I guess I'll put up a shepherd's hook and decide what to do next.

over the past 10 years I've lost at least 2 Dogwoods and 1 Redbud tree. Do not know why. I really miss them and the replacements are very small. Some people say it is because of some of the hard winters, I really think it is the dry summers because we cannot water all the trees.

Float On
6-20-16, 11:02am
Seems like the smaller trees have a shorter natural life span too. I know my favorite Redbud passed away last fall and the Dogwood isn't looking too great either. Both are (would be) 25 years old but natural not nursery raised. MO is full of Redbud and Dogwoods. My whole fence line behind the house is Redbuds, the electric company cuts them down every 3 years to keep them out of the lines (though I don't think they'd ever grow that tall) they always reseed themselves, very pretty in the early spring. Wish I'd transplanted some Dogwood from the woods to my yard but I've noticed they seem to do better under the canopy of larger trees (their natural place). The woods are always so pretty in the spring with those white flowers visible before the trees sprout green.

And so sorry about your grandeflora hydrangea, Cypress. I've always wanted one or several but never good at growing them.

Cypress
6-20-16, 11:18am
I did my best for the shrub and laid down a mulch or red pine needles from the woods. I fed it last fall and early spring but no response. I knew something was wrong when a woodpecker started nibbling at the bark. I don't know the age but it was a beauty.

I'll start pruning it out and take it down soon. I was going to put in a Redbud or Dogwood instead. The space needs a small shrub or tree. Whatever goes in, it's gotta be shade tolerant. I am not sure how I'll get the roots out of the ground. Do I just plant something and let the next shrub figure out how to root, or should I really try and dig that root system out?

Float On
6-20-16, 11:49am
or should I really try and dig that root system out?
I'm kind of hoping that's ok to do myself. We had someone out to trim trees (lower branches hitting cars and such) and I ended up having him cut down 6 bushes in front of my porch. The 2 lilacs and 2 rose of sharons and two hollys were too leggy and ugly. I've got new plans but with a load of dirt on top hope to just plant the new things and let the old roots rot in the ground. First, I have to dig out all the ivy (cuss, cuss) and lay down barrier.