PDA

View Full Version : Swiss Army Knife vs. Leatherman Multitool

LDAHL
7-8-16, 5:24pm
Which is more useful in the universe of possible situations?

bae
7-8-16, 5:42pm
It's very situationally dependent - you need to look at your lifestyle/environment/circumstances first, as well as consider what other tools you may be carrying.

I carry a Leatherman Raptor all the time these days, it's very specialized to what I do. When I worked in a lab environment, I carried a different multitool to handle wire cutting/stripping/small screws/etc., even though I usually had a real toolbox a few feet away, it was just handy to have on my person. I've never found the blades on the Swiss Army Knife or the Leatherman-type tools of much use, I prefer a more useable/reliable/agile real blade.

Rogar
7-10-16, 7:03pm
Have both and take the Swiss Army knife in my pack for most outdoor recreations and keep it in a little pouch along with a space blanket, waterproof matches, some basic first aid supplies and a few other emergency survival things. The knife blades may not be as good as a regular high quality folding knife, but I use the knife blades more than any other feature and I do consider the Leatherman knife too small and ergonomically clumsy. For general working around the house or car the Leatherman pliers can be a handy time saver, but usually have some regular pliers close by. They both seem to be available with a variety of other accessories that might be similar, but I have used the Swiss Army tweezers, small saw blade, awl, screwdriver heads, little cork screw, and of course the handy toothpick on various occasions. That's a lot of tools in a small package.

edit to add, my Leatherman is actually a mini Leatherman. I would just suspect a full sized leatherman would take up a little more space and maybe a little heavier than a standard Swiss Army.

Tradd
7-10-16, 8:00pm
I had a Swiss Army knife multi tool for a while, but it was heavy and, like Bae, I found I didn't use the little tools very often.

These days I carry a Spyderco Delica. In purple. :) I use it constantly. The tip is handy for prying things open.

https://www.amazon.com/Spyderco-Delica4-Lightweight-Ground-PlainEdge/dp/B003CH3V5E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1468195202&sr=8-1&keywords=spyderco+delica

bae
7-10-16, 9:10pm
These days I carry a Spyderco Delica. In purple. :) I use it constantly. The tip is handy for prying things open.

That's the same little folder that's always in my pocket.

I used it just 10 minutes ago to save the bank in town from flooding. There was a page from 911 about flooding at the bank, I was driving by, in shorts and t-shirt, about 30 seconds away, and had no tools on my person at all, except for the Delica and a pair of leather gloves. The little Delica was sufficient of a tool to excavate and open up the water meter box to the building, and the Delica held against the shutoff valve was enough of a lever to close the valve.

Tradd
7-10-16, 9:25pm
That's the same little folder that's always in my pocket.

I used it just 10 minutes ago to save the bank in town from flooding. There was a page from 911 about flooding at the bank, I was driving by, in shorts and t-shirt, about 30 seconds away, and had no tools on my person at all, except for the Delica and a pair of leather gloves. The little Delica was sufficient of a tool to excavate and open up the water meter box to the building, and the Delica held against the shutoff valve was enough of a lever to close the valve.

Bae to the rescue!

I've been at wedding and baby showers the past year or two and someone always has trouble getting a gift box open. I produce my knife from pocket or purse and hand it to the person needing it. The looks on people's face when I hand over this purple-handled knife with a not-dinky blade is actually kind of funny. Apparently women carrying a knife is not common amongst my circle! I feel naked without it, just like I feel naked without my pistol.

bae
7-10-16, 9:32pm
This little Delica has followed me around for ~15 years now. I thought I'd lost it about 10 years ago, when it fell out of my pocket when I went overboard off a sinking sailboat. When we recovered the boat and I was cleaning it up, I found it lodged in a crevice in the boat, apparently it went out of the pocket, but clung to the boat for dear life :-)

A great knife value.

rosarugosa
7-11-16, 5:08am
I have 3 SAKs, one is in my desk drawer at work, one is at home, and the one I carry in my purse in the tiny pen knife model - which is the one I started out with in the first place.

herbgeek
7-11-16, 6:14am
I have 2 leathermen (1 keychain size, one full size that is in the car) and at least 3 SAK's (one tiny "classic", the other 2 midsize). I use the SAK much more. I use the leatherman just for the pliers, really, and I have less use for pliers than I do knives/corkscrees/bottle openers. I also have a few Sypdercos (the bug series) just because they are so so cute. That's what I use when I need a "real" knife as opposed to using the serated blade on my SAK for cutting french bread.

LDAHL
7-11-16, 9:15am
I keep a Swiss Army knife in my pocket (except when I know I'll be passing through a metal detector). I don't use it to skin bears or build shelters, but it's good to open packages. I'm a suburban survivalist who probably gets the most use from the corkscrew. I have a Leatherman in my desk drawer and my glove compartment that I use once in a blue moon.

creaker
7-11-16, 1:45pm
It's very situationally dependent - you need to look at your lifestyle/environment/circumstances first, as well as consider what other tools you may be carrying.

I carry a Leatherman Raptor all the time these days, it's very specialized to what I do. When I worked in a lab environment, I carried a different multitool to handle wire cutting/stripping/small screws/etc., even though I usually had a real toolbox a few feet away, it was just handy to have on my person. I've never found the blades on the Swiss Army Knife or the Leatherman-type tools of much use, I prefer a more useable/reliable/agile real blade.

I'll blame you :-) I have a SAK in my backpack for whatever, I've never looked at a leatherman before.

It will likely show up tomorrow - the pliers, wirecutter, etc. part is something I could have used on multiple occasions if I had it available.

rosarugosa
7-11-16, 9:07pm
LDAHL: "Suburban Survivalist." I like the sound of that. :) Me too, and I mostly use the little scissors and the toothpick. I had first upsized for the corkscrew, but now I am generally drinking in the vicinity of a corkscrew, wineglasses, etc.

LDAHL
7-12-16, 8:31am
LDAHL: "Suburban Survivalist." I like the sound of that. :) Me too, and I mostly use the little scissors and the toothpick. I had first upsized for the corkscrew, but now I am generally drinking in the vicinity of a corkscrew, wineglasses, etc.

The toothpick is an amazingly versatile tool in situations where a small, flexible poking device is called for.