PDA

View Full Version : Freedom! Just finished year 2 FI in the City!

Packratona!
7-14-16, 10:09pm
Hey all, checking in; starting year 3 of FI. Still living under the "poverty" level income, and doing just fine. Just got back from a wonderful one week vacation to an out of state fabulous state park. We stayed in a cabin in the woods for under $29 a night. It had a 4 burner stove, fridge, table and 2 chairs, outdoor fire pit, outdoor grill, outdoor picnic table. Airfare was free through our nifty Southwest credit card points. We got car rental for under $180 but then ended up spending an extra $250 or something like that for insurance that we did not need, but did not realize it until we got home and checked our auto insurance. Oops. Expensive mistake! Food was almost nothing, since we cooked our own food or were wined and dined by old friends. Breakfast: Cuban coffee (him), Cafe con leche (me), fried egg and onion on WW bagel, some fruit (watermelon, apple, etc.) We also hosted one dinner at our campsite for some friends (pasta salad, barbecued chicken, cheesy bread, tossed salad, desert coffee, deviled eggs, and fabulous frozen custard from the local stand close to but outside the park. Right now I am excited about planning future vacations for under the $500 a week total cost. I love parks with gorgeous scenery and lots of chances to hike. Next summer, will be flying out to California to camp at a campsite in the mountains that costs $3 a night. Again, flight is free, and should do better with the car rental. I figured out how to camp out of 4 free check-in suitcases (thanks Southwest!), and will tent camp this time by borrowing a tent and sleeping bags when we get there. Also, in the Spring, adult kids are taking us to Disney and will pay for the huge (bigger than our home) condo, travel expenses, and most of the food; we will pay for our own tickets. I must admit, it is really nice to have our kids all independent and able to support themselves! And also able to pamper us with such nice gifts for special occasions (I would not spend money on a massage and pedicure at the spa, but the girls splurged on them for a surprise for Mother's Day; lovely)!

Our health insurance cost went down last year, from thirty something a month to nothing this year, due to changes in Obamacare. Food costs also went down due to our trying to lose weight, and increasing skills in shopping and looking for new sources for cheap healthy food to cook. I want to try to decrease it even more next year. Currently our food and household (TP, cleaning supplies, personal care, any over the counter meds etc.) costs are $4,000 a year.
We negotiate each year to keep our internet and home phone costs from rising, and purchase a new Tracfone every year or so that includes enough minutes and time so we don't have to purchase too many additional phone cards, if we use them sparingly. We don't have cable, but did invest in a great indoor antenna that enables us to get many more channels than we used to be able to get with our old rabbit ears. We occasionally watch it, but really aren't interested in watching much TV. We also get free movies once in a great while from Redbox with free codes or from the library (inter-library loan). We rarely purchase books, except for a few reference books each year that we want to own to use regularly, but order whatever other books we want from interlibrary loan, or get free books to read online. We go to maybe one or two movies at most a year at a regular cinema, and usually get one of the two tickets free with some special deal (MCR or whatever).

We have tracked our personal car use closely, and are able to keep our non-discretionary vehicle use down to under 500 miles a year. That is for "necessary" trips for groceries, medical visits, etc. We could get that down even more by riding our bikes and walking more.

We continue to buy (pretty much) only the clothes we need. I do shop at Salvation Army since in my state at least there is no sales tax on things bought there, and ours has fabulous clothing at half price on Wednesdays. We cut our own hair, wash our own car, don't have cable, eat out very little, and make healthy thrifty home-cooked meals. Lunch today? Lentil soup and home made rolls. Dinner? Chicken, homemade coleslaw, potatoes. Yum!

Key to all this? Paid off home, one car, no debts, generally good health, no employment costs, kids independent, no health insurance costs, low tax rates, easy access to low cost food, public transportation. FI!

Float On
7-15-16, 10:16am
Thanks for the update! Always good to hear from you.
Have you all developed any new hobbies? Volunteering anywhere?

Lainey
7-15-16, 10:28am
Packratona - except for the camping part, you're living my dream retirement life. Sounds like you and your family are all doing well. Isn't it great to see the rewards for the fruits of your labor?

Tammy
7-15-16, 11:22am
I'm impressed by several things.

But I wouldn't want to watch every dollar so closely. I'd rather work a little longer and have a less strict budget.

But then I like my work.

Do you ever feel frustrated by having to watch every dollar?

Teacher Terry
7-15-16, 2:08pm
It sounds like things are going well for you. But like Tammy we like to spend more on traveling, going out, etc . Also we love the p.t. work we are doing in our semi-retirement.

Packratona!
7-15-16, 5:08pm
I'm impressed by several things.

But I wouldn't want to watch every dollar so closely. I'd rather work a little longer and have a less strict budget.

But then I like my work.

Do you ever feel frustrated by having to watch every dollar?

Not frustrated so far...I guess we have simple tastes. I enjoy the challenge of learning ways to live happily and comfortably with less $. There is not really that much we need or lack any more that we can't afford. If I had lots of extra money I would mostly just end up giving it away I think. I get satisfaction from not needing money so much. What is that definition of contentment people are always quoting? Wanting what you already have, or something like that, or not wanting what you don't have. When I compare my situation with those who have much less than I do, I feel very grateful. I do tend to try to not envy others who appear to have more than me in some regard. I read a quote from some book recently that said that one's sanity is one's greatest asset. But actually, I think time is one's greatest asset. Having a lot more control over my own time is worth a lot to me.

razz
7-15-16, 5:15pm
You are very wise in your choices and decisions and especially when you are in charge of the $$ you spend. Really nice to read your post.

Packratona!
7-15-16, 5:17pm
Packratona - except for the camping part, you're living my dream retirement life. Sounds like you and your family are all doing well. Isn't it great to see the rewards for the fruits of your labor?

Actually, we love to camp, especially in remote wilderness areas. But it's not for everyone. I am also a fan of staying with friends in very remote (from us) areas of the world. However since my husband is not into that, I have to do that on my own when I want to. Contemplating joining a couple close friends for a trip into the mountains, some indigenous villages near the border between Mexico and Guatemala. Cost is almost nothing, with airfare free from Southwest + very cheap bus rides, and friends in the villages putting us up. I am planning and saving for a trip to the far east with some friends in a couple years. Had half saved up until I ended up giving it away recently to someone who needed it more than me! So starting all over ha ha!

Packratona!
7-15-16, 5:26pm
Thanks for the update! Always good to hear from you.
Have you all developed any new hobbies? Volunteering anywhere?

Actually, I have started learning to crochet, with an elderly woman who has poor health, who wanted to teach me. Not sure it is worth my time, as I am not not a particularly crafty person and it is kind of frustrating for me. But she is getting a lot of joy out of teaching me. Mostly I have been spending more time on improving old interests; during recent camping trip for instance, worked to identify more wild edible plants. Also working to improve a second language I started learning several years ago. In addition, we are remodeling our house. It all takes time.

Teacher Terry
7-15-16, 6:05pm
I never thought I could learn to knit because I am not good with my hands. A friend convinced me to try and I can now knit. However, it took me forever to learn the basic stitch. I now knit scarfs for the homeless and baby blankets. I was frustrated at first but now it is satisfying to turn out a nice product.

Packratona!
7-15-16, 6:25pm
I never thought I could learn to knit because I am not good with my hands. A friend convinced me to try and I can now knit. However, it took me forever to learn the basic stitch. I now knit scarfs for the homeless and baby blankets. I was frustrated at first but now it is satisfying to turn out a nice product.

I figure it is good for the brain. I kind of like it but like the interaction with the elderly lady teaching me even more.

Teacher Terry
7-15-16, 6:29pm
I bet it is bringing her pleasure that she has passed on her gift to you. I find knitting very relaxing and now can do it easily while watching TV or talking. At first I had to concentrate just on that. It just takes practice.

Packratona!
7-15-16, 9:27pm
I bet it is bringing her pleasure that she has passed on her gift to you. I find knitting very relaxing and now can do it easily while watching TV or talking. At first I had to concentrate just on that. It just takes practice.

Exactly, you got it!

Packratona!
7-15-16, 9:36pm
It sounds like things are going well for you. But like Tammy we like to spend more on traveling, going out, etc . Also we love the p.t. work we are doing in our semi-retirement.

I absolutely love our location; near so much fun stuff to do, great weather, huge variety of activities, very near major airports, easy access to beaches, nature, parks. I really don't feel so much desire to travel as I used to, because I'm already "there". I love striking a balance between going "out" and doing stuff I enjoy doing at home. I have a small group of good friends from all different countries that cook different cuisines that are better than anything you can get in a restaurant, and we entertain in each other's homes regularly. Lovely!

Zoe Girl
7-15-16, 10:27pm
I figure it is good for the brain. I kind of like it but like the interaction with the elderly lady teaching me even more.

That is awesome, I have been trying to get to a meetup for knitting/crocheting people. I knit very simply but can do more with crochet. I would love to have the social aspect as well.

I do think that craft skills are good for the brain, addresses depression, extends good mental functioning, and even keeps the body in better shape as compared to sitting too much.

Packratona!
7-17-16, 8:39am
That is awesome, I have been trying to get to a meetup for knitting/crocheting people. I knit very simply but can do more with crochet. I would love to have the social aspect as well.

I do think that craft skills are good for the brain, addresses depression, extends good mental functioning, and even keeps the body in better shape as compared to sitting too much.

My husband is investigating getting a standing desk. I think I do too much sitting around as I love to read, study, and surf the web. Which is why I love going to remote camping areas with tons of scenic walking. Also love spending hours in the water snorkling in a place that has a great reef. I know two national parks that have fabulous snorkling/diving and you can camp out right on the beach and just wade into the water; no boat required! A great way to get exercise!
Around home, I just go for walks around the neighborhood. I stop and chat with just about anyone. Also shopping is a great adventure; I often get a chance to be of help to someone in some way.

Gardnr
7-17-16, 9:38am
Sweet! Would you share what city? Curious (new) minds........

pinkytoe
7-17-16, 9:50am
Yes, I would like to know what part of the country you are in. Affordability is an issue in most desirable places so just curious.

Packratona!
7-17-16, 9:43pm
Yes, I would like to know what part of the country you are in. Affordability is an issue in most desirable places so just curious.

Where I am, South Florida, is very affordable IF YOU OWN YOUR HOME AND ARE DEBT FREE. Rent is outrageous, and homes are more than an average buyer can afford. We bought at the peak, it lost half it's value, but paid it off while still employed. It is slowly gaining back it's value, knock on wood. But to repeat, actually living here is very affordable if you have a moderate size home paid off, no other debt. We live under the poverty level and do just fine. I love the idea that we can do that very happily. We do not feel at all deprived, and have everything we need and many luxuries that we want. I would also add, that it helps immensely to have a really good skill set in frugality/living simply, which we do, gained after many years of experience and learning, lots of costly mistakes included. I have read and absorbed practically every book on the subject available over the years, starting with....Your Money or Your Life and The Complete Tightwad Gazette (when it was a flyer you had to subscribe to).

Property taxes are quite low, and since it is a city everything is within easy reach even without a car. We own a car but our mileage is very low, which keeps the insurance etc. very low. No state income tax. I especially love living biking distance from a fabulous library, my favorite thrift store, budget food stores (ALDIS, ethnic etc.) Tons to do, lots of cultural stimulation yet also easy access to faboulous natural surroundings. Just have to learn to dodge the pythons, alligators, and sharks ha ha!

TVRodriguez
7-18-16, 2:59pm
What a great update! Hello from another South Floridian. LOL at dodging the pythons, alligators and sharks. . . I'm impressed with how well you're doing, but it seems like so much is in your attitude. Feeling content with what you have and embracing the challenge of frugality rather than seeing it as deprivation. I aim for that contentment, and some days I even find it!

I'm curious about your internet access. We have cable solely for internet access (no tv package--we use Netflix and a roof antenna). Also about how you keep cool without using too much electric for the a/c. Our FPL bill is too high again b/c it's been so darn hot this summer. That, and b/c we have a pool--its electric pump accounts for a large part of our bill.

Packratona!
7-18-16, 4:41pm
What a great update! Hello from another South Floridian. LOL at dodging the pythons, alligators and sharks. . . I'm impressed with how well you're doing, but it seems like so much is in your attitude. Feeling content with what you have and embracing the challenge of frugality rather than seeing it as deprivation. I aim for that contentment, and some days I even find it!

I'm curious about your internet access. We have cable solely for internet access (no tv package--we use Netflix and a roof antenna). Also about how you keep cool without using too much electric for the a/c. Our FPL bill is too high again b/c it's been so darn hot this summer. That, and b/c we have a pool--its electric pump accounts for a large part of our bill.

Thanks for the compliment! Yes attitude goes a long way with many situations in life!
Internet access: we just do internet and phone, never had cable, use ATT not the other dastardly company. $56 a month. We keep track of when the contract is expiring, call ahead of time and negotiate a deal so they don't raise a price, by asking to speak to the retention department. When we first became FI/retired, we negotiated a very good price drop, as our income became very limited. If they raise the price any year we will drop internet and house phone in a heartbeat, and just bike to the library and use the wifi there. We watch very little tv, so just use rabbit ears when we want to be couch potatoes which is almost never. We have too much else to do to waste time on that. However, I am not being critical of anyone for having cable; each person uses his time and money for what is important to him. I am sure there are some things I spend money on that others would not; they would consider it a "waste". It's really all about making the decisions for ourselves, not letting the media, advertising agencies, peers, family, etc. etc. pressure or fool us into buying into something either with our time or money, that is not helpful to our personal goals and desires.

We each have a Tracfone, which costs us about $7 or $8 a month each including the cost of the phone. We use it mostly for trips or when we are out and about, and use the house phone otherwise. Works for us.

Keeping cool: would be easier if we could open our windows, however we have a cat that knocks the screens and windows out, and opens the sliding glass door and the front door if not locked, to escape, so have to keep everything closed. It kind of depends on the construction of your home, how cool it stays. We don't have a pool, but chose a community with a pool so we don't have to deal with maintenance. We use it a few times a year at most; usually we are the only ones there so it is like having our own private pool. More often, we swim in the ocean or in the cold springs in North Florida. We do have an association fee, but it pays for insurance on the exterior, and all exterior maintenance. It's not a bad deal; after last hurricane they put in all new roofs, we got a new garage door and they repaved our driveway. They paint the exterior every 3 years and do all the lawn care.

I personally think that South Florida has the best weather in the nation, except for maybe Hawaii. Yes we use air conditioning a part of the year, but actually could do without it if we had to. I consider it a huge luxury, not an essential.

TVRodriguez
7-20-16, 11:10am
Thanks for the details on your internet and phone services. Good ideas.