PDA

View Full Version : desperately seeking pod casts

freshstart
7-30-16, 4:02pm
I posted this on another forum but I'm looking to get a good sized list of pod casts people enjoy.

I am having eye surgery Weds on my "good" eye, I just had my bad eye done. I may not be able to get a new glasses prescription until week 4-6 post-op. Which means I will be blind. I can't identify my children when we are face to face when I don't have glasses on, lol. I am not relishing the prospect of sitting around blind for a month at all. Books on CD and podcasts are all I can think of doing.

so please hit me with your favorite podcasts, not just the simple life ones, anything you happen to like! TIA

Kestra
7-30-16, 4:18pm
Invisibilia
Ask me another
How to do everything
Grownups read things they wrote as kids
Tapestry (CBC radio)
This is That (also CBC)

jp1
7-30-16, 6:05pm
Surprisingly Awesome
Radiolab
THis American Life
Planet Money
Freakanomics Radio
99% Invisible
All Songs Considered
Tiny Desk Concerts

You might also like Serial, a spin off from This American Life that was one long story about a guy accused of murder. I already have more stuff to listen to than time to spend listening so I never got around to it, but it sounds like you won't have that problem.

KayLR
7-30-16, 6:57pm
I was recommended Dan Carlin's "Hardcore History" podcasts by a guy who listens to them all the time while he's working as a window washer way up high on buildings. He said Carlin has a unique way of delving into history from intriguing, quirky angles.

freshstart
7-30-16, 8:16pm
I listened to Serial but not that second one that is out that continues the story. How do you get CBC radio? Is it online?

thanks for all the great suggestions!

Kestra
7-30-16, 10:11pm
You can get CBC radio podcasts easily. I'm just not sure if you do it through iTunes or the CBC radio site, which is why I mentioned it. I have a podcast app on my iPhone and get everything through there.

freshstart
7-30-16, 11:42pm
thanks! I have an iPhone and an iPad with the podcast app, too so I should be able to get them as well

ToomuchStuff
7-31-16, 12:59am
How are you operating the device and choosing the podcasts? Are others controlling the thing?
I ask, because I am not sure how links will help, if you can't see to choose one to start?:confused:

If others are starting it, then you might set up a bookmark, with youtube bookmarks, of audio books, concerts, etc. you would enjoy listening to.

freshstart
7-31-16, 8:19am
I get the podcast on my phone/tablet through the app, it has a search function. on my laptop, i get them from iTunes. I'll set up the podcast lists before the surgery, I've already started. I also got books on CD from the library already. No one in my family would be able to figure out how to set up a podcast for me so I'm doing it now. Then I'll set the font on the devices huge so I can with a magnifying glass pick out the podcasts. I already checked to see with my glasses off now, can I see to operate a podcast and I could with the large font and magnifier. The surgery will make that eye even less blurry so I should be ok. I won't be able to read or watch tv but I should be able to bring up the podcasts. Does that make sense?

Simone
8-5-16, 3:38pm
I was recommended Dan Carlin's "Hardcore History" podcasts by a guy who listens to them all the time while he's working as a window washer way up high on buildings. He said Carlin has a unique way of delving into history from intriguing, quirky angles.

Love "Hardcore History," and his other podcast, "Common Sense."

Simone
8-5-16, 3:42pm
On iTunes: Waking Up with Sam Harris; Slate's Political Gabfest; New Yorker Fiction and Political Podcasts; C-Realm Podcast.

LDAHL
8-8-16, 9:34am
Wisconsin Public Radio has an "audio archive" on their web-site. You have to sort through a lot of shows and topics (many of which tend to be a bit Wisconsin-centric), but I like "To the Best of Our Knowledge" and "University of the Air".

catherine
8-8-16, 10:58am
Dave Ramsey's radio shows--I love them, they're instructive as well as entertaining
Brian Johnson.me has podcasts on "optimal living"--love those, too
Scott Mann's Permaculture Podcast

Ultralight
8-8-16, 11:28am
Brian Johnson

Definitely a shame about his hearing...

catherine
8-8-16, 11:37am
Definitely a shame about his hearing...

Not THAT Brian Johnson!

This one. (https://brianjohnson.me)

Ultralight
8-8-16, 12:47pm
Not THAT Brian Johnson!

No.

There is only one Brian Johnson and he is forever Back In Black!

Selah
8-8-16, 3:15pm
I use the free Stitcher app on my Android phone to listen to podcasts. I love "This American Life" and "Snap Judgment."

freshstart
8-9-16, 6:53pm
I am listening to podcasts and I've gotten so many great suggestions, I'm not bored yet. thanks to you all!

frugal-one
10-16-16, 8:20pm
Just got a book that tells all kinds of digital entertainment and to easily find podcasts use any internet search engine and type in podcast directory. Some of the directories you may find useful include www.podcastdirectory.com, www.learnoutloud.com, and www.digitalpodcast.com.