PDA

View Full Version : Retirement planning

Chicken lady
8-1-16, 8:14pm
Dh pulled up the retirement planning numbers tonight. He's looking at around 60 - in 10-11 years. At that point pension (for which I am deeply grateful!) and soc sec (which I feel a little uncertain about depending on) are forecast to be slightly above his current take home. We also have savings and an hsa. The third child should be financially independent. (the first two are already and one closes on her first house in sept!)

i will probably keep working because I'm a couple years younger and I love my job (I make about 10% of his salary). He says if I work he'll cook dinner every night! I may never "retire". However, if the oldest has a baby I have offered to quit and become free daycare. (Better job!)

That offer is not limited to the oldest, it is limited to geographic area. Currently she's the only child in the geographic area with a sex life that might lead to offspring. Heart daughter turned me down when her son was too young for school, but I do watch him sometimes.

technically, that would not only leave me on the hook for dinner, it might push his retirement out a year. I'm not sure if I should bring that up at this point.

Teacher Terry
8-1-16, 8:25pm
Since you hate to cook keep working so he can make dinner:)) I am surprised you would want to spend your retirement years doing childcare unless it was on a p.t. basis. That is your time to be free of responsibility, etc.

Chicken lady
8-1-16, 8:30pm
The thing I love about my job is spending time with my students. The thought of having a little grandchild to share the world with is even better! Maybe my son in law will make dinner.... He has already committed to cook thanksgiving in their new house for us, my parents, and my kids.

iris lilies
8-1-16, 8:34pm
My friend is now the full time child care persn for her grandchild. Her daughter has no money, is going to college.

My friend also has a infirm father who lives in an assisted lvng facility and who is really too infiem for thatnplace, he needs a higher degree of care.

She is super active and runs around doing lots of gardening stuff, but the full time child care thng will cut out a lt of that although she can bring her 4 year old charge to weed.

She was lamenting the loss of her freedom recently. But she signed ip for it.

Chicken lady
8-1-16, 9:26pm
Some people are child free and some people are childless.

my mom was supposed to come live with us someday (both her parents lived past 95 and she is fit and active, whereas my dad has already outlived his parents' lifespans and is an overweight heart patient and cancer survivor) but now dad has decided to retrofit the house so they can have a live in caregiver if needed (the money is there) so she probably won't and I'm dissapointed.

Chicken lady
8-3-16, 7:33am
Well, fwiw, I decided not to bring up the "I might not work for the next ten years" issue. Too many variables. I'll cross that bridge when it gets here.

the next renovation project (after we finish the addition in x years) is the original master bedroom - and he's been calling that "your mom's room" for the last ten years.....