PDA

View Full Version : Lousy jobs hurt your health by the time you’re in your 40s

Ultralight
8-22-16, 11:25am
Check out this study!

https://news.osu.edu/news/2016/08/22/lousy-jobs/

This is an especially interesting quote:

“The higher levels of mental health problems for those with low job satisfaction may be a precursor to future physical problems,” Zheng said.

Any thoughts on this? I am not sure what to count as my early career? Factory work? My first real job out of graduate school?

Tammy
8-22-16, 2:17pm
There are other things that hurt your health by age 40 also:

Chronic stress from dysfunctional relationships

Eating junk food

Drinking too much alcohol

Running marathons

Worry from poverty

The list goes on.

I'm a believer in managing as much of life as possible, and then not worrying about the rest. Something will get us in the end. But to worry about it only increases stress, which then makes it worse.

LDAHL
8-22-16, 2:25pm
I'm a believer in managing as much of life as possible, and then not worrying about the rest. Something will get us in the end. But to worry about it only increases stress, which then makes it worse.

My doctor once told me "Our goal is to manage your condition so effectively that you will die from something else."

A true realist, that guy.

jp1
8-22-16, 10:48pm
My doctor once told me "Our goal is to manage your condition so effectively that you will die from something else."

A true realist, that guy.

Indeed. My father managed to live to 85 (almost 86) despite being a 2 pack a day smoker for 67 years. If he hadn't had such hearty genes (his dad lived to 87 and his older brother and sister are both still alive and 88 and 89 years old) Dad probably would've died from something else, instead of from COPD. And his lung doctor would've counted him as a win.

(these hearty genes are one of the reasons I don't subscribe to the "try to spend all your money before you die" plan. Yes I may well drop dead tomorrow but the odds of me dying young are pretty low. Both sides of my family tend to live long. Even my maternal grandmother, with 40 years of poorly treated type 2 diabetes (poor enough that she was blind for the last 25 years of her life and only poor treatment because that was the only treatment available at the time) managed to live to 80.)