PDA

View Full Version : testing out the poll feature

kib
12-29-10, 4:45pm
I created this poll to test out the feature, but actually I'd like to know what people think of this forum: should it stay? Please take the poll if you like, and if you have more comments add them below. Thanks!

ETA: it's anonymous, no one will know your opinion if you don't want them to.

Gina
12-31-10, 3:42pm
I haven't yet voted. What do you mean by 'Dailies and Challenges'?

Thanks.

shadowmoss
12-31-10, 3:44pm
I haven't yet voted. What do you mean by 'Dailies and Challenges'?

Thanks.

Exactly. That's why I posted that they need to stay in their respective forums where the community of that forum knows what they are challenging.

kib
12-31-10, 4:17pm
In the old forums we had a lot of threads like "Daily Frugals" or Amaranth's whole "Sparkling Spring" thread about goals we were going to challenge ourselves with for the new season. People did a Low Carb challenge, a Decluttering Challenge and so on. Maybe I DO need to change the title - or maybe goals and challenges should be one thing and the dailies should go in their respective forums ... all ideas welcome. :)

My thought was that if we have threads where people were going to check in often with their personal progress, it might be easier to have them in one place.

rosarugosa
12-31-10, 5:08pm
I prefer them in ther respective forums, but can live with it either way. I'm in a good mood :)

razz
12-31-10, 5:29pm
i prefer them in their usual forums

Gina
12-31-10, 5:31pm
After thinking about it, I vote 'no'. I also think they should remain in their respective forums.

It would be mildly chaotic to see decluttering challenges mixed with January gardening and daily frugals.

Crystal
12-31-10, 5:32pm
I like them in their regular forums too. But I'm not saying that as an admin or moderator -- I just haven't created a regular member account yet. :o)

kib
12-31-10, 5:39pm
In my way of organizing and challenging, I rarely have just one thing going at once, so to me it makes sense for the "progress reports" to go in one place. But I'm fine with killing it, I see a Daily or two have already gotten started somewhere else. No worries.

- Gina, loved that champagne glass! Do you think you could post an explanation of how to add pix? We've had limited success, maybe just because we're trying to link to pix that don't allow it.

Crystal
12-31-10, 5:41pm
Couldn't we do both? Progress reports and challenges, etc.?

Mrs-M
12-31-10, 7:17pm
I love the idea. I think it's brilliant!

kib
12-31-10, 8:07pm
ok ... I'm going to try to do some admin magic and move the posts that are about pix and avatars over to the practice forum. We shall see if I have a clue!

woot woot, I think I have a clue! (this time).

ETA: thank you, Mrs. M, glad to see you made the journey safe and sound.

Gina
12-31-10, 8:17pm
Er... practice forum? I don't seem to see that anywhere. Do you have a link?

Thanks.

Crystal
12-31-10, 8:46pm
Er... practice forum? I don't seem to see that anywhere. Do you have a link?

Thanks.

If you are in New Posts view, change to Forum view (upper left of your screen). The Practice Forum should show up near the top.

Gina
12-31-10, 9:12pm
Nope, when I hit 'forum' on the upper left to display all the rooms, I dont see a 'practice forum' anywhere.

ETA: These are the forums I see:

Research Projects
Requests for Interviews
The Financial Integrity Program

Then all the simple living forums
Then the 3 special use forums.

[Edited for clarity.... it's all been fixed. :) ]

Amaranth
12-31-10, 11:45pm
We could have the challenges in their regular forums and tag it with the word challenge since we can do tags here. That way people who like challenges could search on the tag periodically and see the available and past challenges.

kib
1-1-11, 12:13am
Think I'm gonna have to learn some more about tags, albums, contacts, friends, twitter, IM, PM and a bunch of other stuff. >8) Good suggestion, Amaranth.

screamingflea
1-1-11, 3:22am
I could go either way. Another idea might be to post them in stickies at the top of the relevant forum so they could be found easily.

mara61
1-1-11, 3:57pm
I second Flea's suggestions. A sticky in the relevant forum.

Mrs-M
1-1-11, 6:44pm
ETA: thank you, Mrs. M, glad to see you made the journey safe and sound. Thanks kib, it feels so good to be back.

early morning
1-2-11, 1:25pm
If there are two threads, in this and in the "proper" (IMHO, lol) forum, I'll be totally confused.... I already don't remember what I post here, as opposed to what I'm following on pdq's site! More things in more places isn't simple for me -KWIM?

earthshepherd
1-5-11, 8:46am
It looks like this forum has gotten off to a good start. I vote to keep the jury out a while longer. While it's true that daily reports and challenges could go in other forums, this keeps daily posting on "what we're eating tonight", etc. from clogging up other forums. On the other hand, if it does prove to be confusing, or cluttering, we can always change it.

kib
1-5-11, 1:21pm
That was my thought too - the jury's divided, so leave it open and if people use it, great. If not, we can close it up at some later point. Personally I'm still honing my "process" as far as how I come in and view the forums - at the moment I'm using the What's New option so it doesn't really make a difference to me which forum a thread is in, but I could see it being confusing if one's using the Forum button to find new threads in favorite categories.

And I do like flea's suggestion about the sticky. I think anyone can create a sticky thread, right??

Gina
1-5-11, 1:26pm
I think anyone can create a sticky thread, right??
I think that's only a mod feature. Not sure we'd want everyone to be able to stick their own threads. ;)

kib
1-5-11, 1:36pm
Hmm. Point taken. Ok, if anyone wants to make a dailies thread into a sticky, let me know. :~)

ETA: Should we leave the name alone?

kib
1-5-11, 1:41pm
If there are two threads, in this and in the "proper" (IMHO, lol) forum, I'll be totally confused.... I already don't remember what I post here, as opposed to what I'm following on pdq's site! More things in more places isn't simple for me -KWIM? Well, I don't think it would be an identical thread going on in two places (oh pet peeve alert: posting the same thread more than once!!! Noooooo.....). Just that perhaps one person might start a weight loss challenge and want to put it in healthcare, while someone else might start a "what are you grateful for today" thread and put it in dailies.