PDA

View Full Version : "Basket of Deplorables"

LDAHL
9-12-16, 2:34pm
What a clumsy, ugly turn of phrase from someone attempting to sneer at her presumed moral and intellectual inferiors. You would have thought her speechwriters could have come up with something a little more elegant than that. Even "Bitter Clingers" was able to strike the right note of condescension with a little more style.

Tybee
9-12-16, 3:03pm
A strange choice of words, for sure.. . Maybe this is why she is so rarely seen/heard in public?

catherine
9-12-16, 3:07pm
I'm a Democrat, but I was surprised at her comment. It's not nice, but also, it's politically stupid. Doesn't she realize that his supporters are her potential supporters? Harkens back to Romney's 47%, but he said it thinking he was off-mike. She said it directly to the audience.

Hillary, Hillary, Hillary. Maybe her pneumonia made her brain a little foggy.

LDAHL
9-12-16, 3:22pm
It made me picture Donald Trump as a sort of malevolent Easter Bunny hiding deplorables for the good little PC children to hunt. I can see insulting your opponent, but insulting any significant part of the electorate doesn't seem like sound strategy.

Gone are the happy days when a guy like Churchill could refer to opponents as "a curious mixture of geniality and venom", or " a modest man with much to be modest about".

bae
9-12-16, 3:46pm
"Irredeemable", "Not American".

I wonder who she will appoint to run the re-education camps...

bae
9-12-16, 3:52pm
Trump has what, ~40% or so of the vote in the polls? 129 million people voted in the last Presidential election, so even assuming all the undecided/3rd-Party folks vote Clinton, that's 51.6 million Trump voters. Hillary thinks half of them, or 25.8 million Americans, aren't *really* American, and are "irredeemable". And the real number of non-Americans is probably higher, the voter turnout in 2012 was only 55%...

ApatheticNoMore
9-12-16, 3:55pm
Trump kind of makes tons of people feel like non-Americans though, so it's hardly a Clinton thing. Does anyone really believe most minorities (and especially of targeted groups like Mexicans and I mean citizens) really think Trump welcomes them. Give me a break. How stupid are people supposed to be.

LDAHL
9-12-16, 4:19pm
Trump has what, ~40% or so of the vote in the polls? 129 million people voted in the last Presidential election, so even assuming all the undecided/3rd-Party folks vote Clinton, that's 51.6 million Trump voters. Hillary thinks half of them, or 25.8 million Americans, aren't *really* American, and are "irredeemable". And the real number of non-Americans is probably higher, the voter turnout in 2012 was only 55%...

What's interesting (at least to me) is that the Trump people don't seem interested in playing either the deplorable thing of the fainting thing up. In this sad campaign, it seems like the less attention either candidate gets the better it is for their opponent.

Alan
9-12-16, 4:20pm
What a clumsy, ugly turn of phrase from someone attempting to sneer at her presumed moral and intellectual inferiors.
I'm a great believer in context and the audience she was speaking to, democratic donors, seemed to be just fine with it. It's not the first time a politician told the audience what they wanted to hear.

How stupid are people supposed to be.That's a rhetorical question, right?

Alan
9-12-16, 4:27pm
I wonder who she will appoint to run the re-education camps...
My guess is, the highest bidder. That's why I've decided not to worry about her impending election and what effect it will have on the Supreme Court. She naturally hasn't published her rates but I'm sure conservatives can buy as many seats as may come available.

LDAHL
9-12-16, 4:32pm
I'm a great believer in context and the audience she was speaking to, democratic donors, seemed to be just fine with it. It's not the first time a politician told the audience what they wanted to hear.

Sure, but wouldn't you expect someone like Clinton to understand that her audience ultimately extended beyond the crowd of true believers and sycophants in her immediate vicinity?

ApatheticNoMore
9-12-16, 5:13pm
That's a rhetorical question, right?

nah I actually think minority groups who have long been kicked are pretty savvy to that game. Just Trump not so savvy in choosing that as his uh "winning" strategy. Although Clinton could yet self-destruct even more.

The question at this point is just which already unlikable candidate can thoroughly self-destruct first. Next they'll be spontaneously combusting.

Alan
9-12-16, 6:19pm
Sure, but wouldn't you expect someone like Clinton to understand that her audience ultimately extended beyond the crowd of true believers and sycophants in her immediate vicinity?Yes, I would, although I think we've reached a point where all politics are based upon identity. Her choice of words resonates with her funders and a large portion of her base so, ultimately, she's only offending people who will not vote for her anyway.

It's interesting and fun to talk about it, but it's unlikely to hurt her and may possibly help shore up Democratic support.

Tybee
9-12-16, 6:24pm
I think of more concern is the fact that she left yesterday's event because of illness and "stumbled" (?) offstage--I think that's worse press for her at this point.

Alan
9-12-16, 6:31pm
I think of more concern is the fact that she left yesterday's event because of illness and "stumbled" (?) offstage--I think that's worse press for her at this point.The video I saw showed her clearly unable to stand or move her legs. She was dragged into the van with her feet dragging across the pavement. It looked like a scene from 'Weekend At Bernie's'.

Tybee
9-12-16, 6:33pm
I really think the poor woman is really sick, and I think she should not be the candidate at this point.

Oh wow, I just watched the video from the Guardian--this lady cannot stand up, this is not okay.

Tammy
9-12-16, 6:43pm
At this point I'm really glad for our three part government with a balance of power. The president is only 1/3 ...

ApatheticNoMore
9-12-16, 6:49pm
At this point I'm really glad for our three part government with a balance of power. The president is only 1/3 ...

in theory. in practice they can decide who to drone, declare war (well have you seen congress declaring war anytime recently? some times they do go through the motions kinda), pass executive orders, appoint vast numbers of government officials, may or may not have their finger on the button (this propaganda point is always pushed but I have come to really doubt it's true - just because no organization can be that badly run without backups).

OTOH they are both so far gone we may be choosing between Pence and Kaine in reality. Trump has openly said before that he doesn't want to be in charge of foreign nor domestic policy. And Clinton may not be medically in any shape to be.

JaneV2.0
9-12-16, 7:26pm
Speaking of Bernie...
There's a stand-in waiting in the wings. :help:

bae
9-12-16, 7:27pm
Speaking of Bernie...
There's a stand-in waiting in the wings. :help:

I think Bernie should release a video of himself kicking back at home splitting a couple of cords of wood by hand.

CathyA
9-12-16, 7:45pm
I really think the poor woman is really sick, and I think she should not be the candidate at this point.

Oh wow, I just watched the video from the Guardian--this lady cannot stand up, this is not okay.

Have you ever had pneumonia? ........and have worked 24/7 for months?

Tybee
9-12-16, 7:49pm
I have had pneumonia four times. At no time when I had pneumonia, would they have let me go walk unassisted back onto the sidewalk after collapsing that same day.

I have also suffered an injury that left me unable to walk, and the way she crumpled look more like I did, falling when I did not have use of my left leg, and when I had severe balance issues.

While I was in the hospital on oxygen, yes, I continued to work.

catherine
9-12-16, 8:09pm
I think Bernie should release a video of himself kicking back at home splitting a couple of cords of wood by hand.

Haven't you heard--he's joined the bourgeoisie? He bought a (GASP!) $375,000 lake home in VT. His $27 donors want their money back!

Tybee
9-12-16, 8:17pm
Man, Bernie could split a cord of wood! That man has incredible stamina.

bae
9-12-16, 8:39pm
Haven't you heard--he's joined the bourgeoisie? He bought a (GASP!) $375,000 lake home in VT. His $27 donors want their money back!

Hmm. Assuming he put 20% down, that's a 300k mortgage. Today's average 30-year fixed mortgage rate is 3.43%. That sort of mortgage would require a ~$57k annual income to qualify.

Hardly a 1%-er :-)

Tradd
9-12-16, 8:43pm
I'm in HRC's basket of deplorables, plus number one on her enemy list as an NRA life member. Very happy she doesn't like me, as I loathe her.

bae
9-12-16, 8:58pm
I'm in HRC's basket of deplorables, plus number one on her enemy list as an NRA life member. Very happy she doesn't like me, as I loathe her.

I'm pretty sure I'm fairly high up on The List for mandatory reeducation and self-criticism sessions as well. Fun times!

JaneV2.0
9-12-16, 9:02pm
Forgive me, but Bill Maher's take on Hillary's condition made me laugh out loud:

"Pneumonia? I'd vote for Dead Hillary in this race. She could be Patient Zero for Bubonic Plague, still better than #TangerineNightmare."

ApatheticNoMore
9-12-16, 9:19pm

maybe they should, it's his 3rd home. I make it a point never to donate to politicians, maybe the $27 should have gone to help house the homeless.

iris lilies
9-12-16, 9:56pm
Have you ever had pneumonia? ........and have worked 24/7 for months?
Its not the pneumonia,it is the inability of the Clintons to tell the truth. If it is true she has pneumonia, say so. they knew last Friday. Lie upon lie.

LDAHL
9-13-16, 6:29am

It was $575,000 for a vacation place.

I assume that since he lost his nomination bid and his wife bankrupted her college they have more leisure time.

LDAHL
9-13-16, 8:36am
Its not the pneumonia,it is the inability of the Clintons to tell the truth. If it is true she has pneumonia, say so. they knew last Friday. Lie upon lie.

I liked the National Review's take:

"The pattern of denial from Hillary Rodham Clinton’s media minions after her collapse following a September 11 memorial event was typical. First, they denied that anything happened. When confronted with video evidence that something had happened, they suggested that the video might not be legitimate. When it became clear that the video was legitimate, they suggested that it didn’t show what it plainly did show, and staged a walk for the cameras to illustrate the candidate’s vigor. They said that Mrs. Clinton had overheated — on a mild September day — and, when this was questioned, produced a diagnosis of pneumonia from the day before yesterday."

www.nationalreview.com/article/439963/hillary-clinton-health-transparency-demands-medical-report-both-candidates

Now her media minions are marveling at how tough she is to show up at events sick. Soon we will be hearing about her persecution by the vast viral right-wing conspiracy.

catherine
9-13-16, 9:16am
It was $575,000 for a vacation place.

I assume that since he lost his nomination bid and his wife bankrupted her college they have more leisure time.

I stand corrected. But I see no contradiction between his real estate holdings and his message, especially since that lake house was funded with money from the sale of his wife's family cottage in Maine.

And that leisure time may disappear:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/bring-back-bernie-sanders-clinton-might-actually-lose_us_57d66670e4b0273330ac45d0

LDAHL
9-13-16, 9:36am
I stand corrected. But I see no contradiction between his real estate holdings and his message, especially since that lake house was funded with money from the sale of his wife's family cottage in Maine.

And that leisure time may disappear:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/bring-back-bernie-sanders-clinton-might-actually-lose_us_57d66670e4b0273330ac45d0

I don't see any contradiction either. I have no hostility toward the rich.

I think the writer is laying it on a bit thick claiming that only Bernie could defeat Trump. I would think there are plenty of candidates the DNC could choose that would have a decent chance. I also doubt Bernie has that many friends on the DNC.

But what do I know. I thought Rubio had a shot.

jp1
9-13-16, 10:12am
Obviously Hillary was in a lose lose situation. Donald and his media hacks have been making up stories about her health for weeks. Now that she actually has a health problem, albeit not a particularly serious one if treated appropriately, she had the choice of either 1) admitting that she was sick and having those same people scream "AHA! SEE! WE TOLD YOU SHE WAS SICK!" or 2) Try to cover it up and hope no one notices and in a few days she'd be over it.

Alan
9-13-16, 10:19am
Obviously Hillary was in a lose lose situation. Donald and his media hacks have been making up stories about her health for weeks.
It didn't have to be a lose/lose situation. All she had to do was say "Hey, I've developed pneumonia but I'm doing my best to maintain a full schedule. Please bear with me as we work through this."

Politics aside, I still wonder why she was taken to her daughter's apartment rather than a hospital. Secret Service protocol is to take their principal to the nearest Level 1 trauma center for any medical situations. Speculation will abound as long as inconsistencies such as that continue. She can control the narrative, she just has to be open.

Tammy
9-13-16, 10:21am
The video I saw makes me worry about a TIA. A mini stroke. She couldn't walk.

Those have a quick recovery which is supported by her normal walk and smile hours later when leaving her daughters apartment.

Tybee
9-13-16, 10:34am
The video I saw makes me worry about a TIA. A mini stroke. She couldn't walk.

Those have a quick recovery which is supported by her normal walk and smile hours later when leaving her daughters apartment.

I don't think it was actually she reemerging from the building. There were no secret service agents standing around her. If she collapsed 90 minutes earlier, then why would they let her walk out there, totally in the open, with no one around her. That does not make sense.

When I saw Bernie speak, the secret service agents were right there.

I think the person being put into the van was very sick, and there were several people right there, holding her up, attempting to block the view.

Why send her back out into the street totally alone 90 minutes later. Defies belief.

ApatheticNoMore
9-13-16, 10:51am

I don't see any contradiction either and I don't think it's Bill Gates, I merely get annoyed if people relate Bernie's "modest" digs to the average American because that house wasn't very expensive. Argh it's not like it's his only home, most people don't own THREE houses!!! Most people will never have a family cottage to sell. Etc. Meanwhile some people don't have a roof over their head at all, you can't help but encounter them daily, and that's the context in which we get stories about "Bernie bought a modest house". So really my problem is with these clueless (about how people actually live) propaganda stories more than with Sanders etc.. Though one can't help but wonder if it was the best investment of $27,being that results not so much so. Compared to his D.C. politician peers though, his wealth probably is modest, likely due to be less in on the graft that is everywhere there.

jp1
9-13-16, 11:18am
It didn't have to be a lose/lose situation. All she had to do was say "Hey, I've developed pneumonia but I'm doing my best to maintain a full schedule. Please bear with me as we work through this."

Except that everyone thinks they are as good of a doctor as Bill Frist. The same silly speculation and distrust about what's really wrong with her would've happened if she'd disclosed her illness up front as is happening now.

LDAHL
9-13-16, 11:25am
I don't see any contradiction either and I don't think it's Bill Gates, I merely get annoyed if people relate Bernie's "modest" digs to the average American because that house wasn't very expensive. Argh it's not like it's his only home, most people don't own THREE houses!!! Most people will never have a family cottage to sell. Etc. Meanwhile some people don't have a roof over their head at all, you can't help but encounter them daily, and that's the context in which we get stories about "Bernie bought a modest house". So really my problem is with these clueless (about how people actually live) propaganda stories more than with Sanders etc.. Though one can't help but wonder if it was the best investment of $27,being that results not so much so.

The real challenge for the wealthy populist is to make sure your wealth is "deserved" and below the level of true iniquity. This can be done by assuming a sort of meritocratic coloration, such as labeling your revenue sources as speaking, fees, brilliant commodity trading, foundation perqs, etc. Even a serial bankrupt can claim business brilliance. You must always point the finger up-market to where the real malefactors of great wealth are to be found and made to "pay their fair share".

JaneV2.0
9-13-16, 11:43am
Sanders' net worth is undoubtedly at the low end of congressional members. I'm more interested in his character than his real estate holdings. But he does seem to be a bit of a house hoarder...:~)

ApatheticNoMore
9-13-16, 11:45am
The real challenge for the wealthy populist is to make sure your wealth is "deserved" and below the level of true iniquity. This can be done by assuming a sort of meritocratic coloration, such as labeling your revenue sources as speaking, fees, brilliant commodity trading, foundation perqs, etc. Even a serial bankrupt can claim business brilliance. You must always point the finger up-market to where the real malefactors of great wealth are to be found and made to "pay their fair share".

actually I don't think any of Bernie's policies were particularly extreme, but EVEN IF they had been, I don't think there is any problem advocating for a world that doesn't exist and living in the one that does. So no I don't think there is even any challenge. I just don't like the gushing stories on his house and "Bernie lives so modestly!", argh no, let's get real, most people live more modestly. Even though compared to D.C. peers he probably does.

LDAHL
9-13-16, 12:04pm
Appearances must be maintained in politics. As Sarojini Naidu remarked of Gandhi, "It costs a lot of money to keep this man in poverty."

JaneV2.0
9-13-16, 12:08pm
It just occurred to me that his digs probably include a place in DC--so the only real extravagance is the vacation home. More than most of us have, but not excessive, IMO.

Ultralight
9-13-16, 1:23pm
Trump is going to win this thing.

iris lilies
9-13-16, 1:28pm
Hillary will spank The Donald at the polls.

LDAHL
9-13-16, 2:04pm
Hillary will spank The Donald at the polls.

To quote Mrs. Clinton, "What difference at this point does it make?". Do you prefer your megalomania in the style of Huey Long or Richard Nixon?

IMO our best hope lies in sending conservatives to congress who don't shrink from exercising their constitutional powers.

catherine
9-13-16, 2:37pm

I think there are a lot of closet Trump supporters out there, like my husband, who got a "Make America Great Again" hat from our Republican DIL but he won't wear it out in public for fear of rebuke.
I think a lot of people are attracted to Trump for the same reason people are attracted to royalty in Europe and the Kardashians in the US--all the glitter looks real pretty, especially if your life is all grey
So, I think it will be a fight to the finish, but I must vote for Hillary because in my kindest, most generous frame of mind, I cannot see Trump remotely continuing in the tradition of Adams, Jefferson, Lincoln, Roosevelt, Kennedy, Reagan or Obama.

Speaking of Obama, he just gave a rousing speech in Philadelphia, standing in for Hillary. He did a great job.

Ultralight
9-13-16, 3:13pm
I think a lot of people are attracted to Trump for the same reason people are attracted to royalty in Europe and the Kardashians in the US--all the glitter looks real pretty, especially if your life is all grey
Bingo!

Teacher Terry
9-13-16, 3:48pm
The electoral college picks the president not the popular vote. At one point I was wanting this changed but now not so much. Clinton will get many more electoral votes then Trump. I think she will also win the popular vote but that does not matter. I think the Founding Fathers knew what they were doing.

iris lilies
9-13-16, 4:17pm
I think there are a lot of closet Trump supporters out there, like my husband, who got a "Make America Great Again" hat from our Republican DIL but he won't wear it out in public for fear of rebuke.
So, I think it will be a fight to the finish, but I must vote for Hillary because in my kindest, most generous frame of mind, I cannot see Trump remotely continuing in the tradition of Adams, Jefferson, Lincoln, Roosevelt, Kennedy, Reagan or Obama.

Speaking of Obama, he just gave a rousing speech in Philadelphia, standing in for Hillary. He did a great job.

oh yeah, O.

DH came home from a meeting with our financial guy this morning with a tale of all new fookery by O and his regulatory
henchmen. Will post on Public Policy. It sucks.

greenclaire
9-13-16, 4:24pm
for the same reason people are attracted to royalty in Europe and the Kardashians in the US--all the glitter looks real pretty

Sorry sidetracking a little here, but speaking as a European-Brit I've never understood the royalty attraction. I'd happily swap Queen Lizzie for an elected official and wish we'd get rid of the expense and undemocratic monarchy. Sure, the carriages and crowns are sparkly and glittery but why not take it in turns and have a free lottery for who gets to wear it and swap every few months so more people get a turn driving down the street and waving!?! The idea that someone is more important than someone else just because of which two people's sperm and egg created them is crazy to me.

ApatheticNoMore
9-13-16, 4:37pm
Sorry sidetracking a little here, but speaking as a European-Brit I've never understood the royalty attraction. I'd happily swap Queen Lizzie for an elected official and wish we'd get rid of the expense and undemocratic monarchy. Sure, the carriages and crowns are sparkly and glittery but why not take it in turns and have a free lottery for who gets to wear it and swap every few months so more people get a turn driving down the street and waving!?! The idea that someone is more important than someone else just because of which two people's sperm and egg created them is crazy to me.

I don't know the obsession for royalty is worth it if it keeps people from worse things, like Trump ...

People will obsess regardless it seems, people are deemed more important for being movie stars and so on where even *IF* they have talent (not always the case), that is at most what, so they have a talent for acting they have developed over the years. Well big so what in the grand scheme of things? But people will obsess regardless, better if the circuses are somewhat harmless, royalty in the modern age mostly seems to be.

Tybee
9-13-16, 4:51pm
[QUOTE=catherine;252155]

I think a lot of people are attracted to Trump for the same reason people are attracted to royalty in Europe and the Kardashians in the US--all the glitter looks real pretty, especially if your life is all grey/QUOTE]

I don't see that. Most of the people who I know who are voting for trump are thrilled that he is taking on the Clinton machine and that he talks about the national debt. I also know former Bernie people who felt the election was stolen by the Clinton machine and they will vote for Trump, rather than for the person who stole the election.

I have not run across anyone who is attracted to Trump because their life is grey. But admittedly, I have stopped talking politics with people once the DNC party "nominated" Clinton. Too horrified by the stories that I heard from friends who were at the convention and were cheated and silenced at the convention.

I only know one Bernie person who plans to vote for Hillary, and I know a lot of Bernie people.

iris lilies
9-13-16, 4:52pm
I like your royalty and aristocracy and am glad they are yours, not ours. I like their architecture, castles are fab!. The aristocracy are fun to rail against. They wear stupid hAts and generally look quite silly, but I do like them. Glad I dont have to pay taxes into the Civil List.

LDAHL
9-13-16, 5:14pm
I like your royalty and aristocracy and am glad they are yours, not ours. I like their architecture, castles are fab!. The aristocracy are fun to rail against. They wear stupid hAts and generally look quite silly, but I do like them. Glad I dont have to pay taxes into the Civil List.

Who needs the House of Windsor when you've got the Disney princesses?

iris lilies
9-13-16, 5:21pm
Who needs the House of Windsor when you've got the Disney princesses?Im a snob, a middle class poser. But my family took us to Europe to see real castles. I didnt see the Disney junk until I was 37 years old. Anyway, it was ironic that my inlaws paid for the entire Disney trip while they were used to flying over to Europe themselves with their 5 kids.

Alan
9-13-16, 6:09pm
Im a snob, a middle class poser. But my family took us to Europe to see real castles. I didnt see the Disney junk until I was 37 years old. I must be a bigger snob than you cause I still haven't seen a Disney Castle, although I have seen Castle Neuschwanstein and Windsor and Buckingham and Versailles and several others. Royalty may be out-dated, but they sure knew how to build memorable estates.

catherine
9-13-16, 6:12pm
[QUOTE=catherine;252155]

I think a lot of people are attracted to Trump for the same reason people are attracted to royalty in Europe and the Kardashians in the US--all the glitter looks real pretty, especially if your life is all grey/QUOTE]

I don't see that. Most of the people who I know who are voting for trump are thrilled that he is taking on the Clinton machine and that he talks about the national debt. I also know former Bernie people who felt the election was stolen by the Clinton machine and they will vote for Trump, rather than for the person who stole the election.

I have not run across anyone who is attracted to Trump because their life is grey. But admittedly, I have stopped talking politics with people once the DNC party "nominated" Clinton. Too horrified by the stories that I heard from friends who were at the convention and were cheated and silenced at the convention.

I only know one Bernie person who plans to vote for Hillary, and I know a lot of Bernie people.

I think there are a lot of people who don't feel hope or faith in the system and are putting their faith in Trump to improve their lives. Fighting "the machine" is there, but I really think that the lower middle class who feel stuck think that by osmosis, the US can be one big Trump Tower. I saw a CNN piece where the interviewer asked an out-of-work person why Trump, and he said, "He managed a lot of businesses and he turned them into gold, so he'll turn our country into gold." I think that feeling is real among large pockets of this country. I get a lot of that sentiment all over my FB feed from old high school friends.

I know it's a real dilemma to have to pick between Trump and Clinton. The devil you know vs the devil you don't know. I could go Johnson or Stein, but if I do, I have do to so with conviction that I would live with either Trump or Clinton in the White House.

LDAHL
9-14-16, 2:17pm
I hear you can buy "Deplorable" t-shirts and coffee mugs online now.

Alan
9-14-16, 2:31pm
You gotta admit Hillary is a change agent. She's made deplorable cool.

http://www.memepile.com/pics/14050.jpg

Teacher Terry
9-14-16, 2:34pm
Catherine: your friends are wrong. Trump has turned everything he has touched into a pile of shit. If he had taken the $ his father left him and put it in a savings account he would have more $ now than what he has. Look at all his bankruptcies, not paying his creditors-many of whom are small business people. He has put some small businesses out of business by not paying his bills. Can't people read anymore?

Alan
9-14-16, 2:37pm
Catherine: your friends are wrong. Trump has turned everything he has touched into a pile of shit.
I'll admit the Miss America pageant isn't what it used to be, but really?

Can't people read anymore?
I don't think reading is the problem, it's the believing what we read that gets us into trouble.

bae
9-14-16, 2:38pm
Trump .... If he had taken the $ his father left him and put it in a savings account he would have more $ now than what he has.

That seems an easy claim to run a back-of-the-envelope analysis on. Let's try!

Out of curiosity, how much did Trump inherit, and when? And what is your specific source for that information?

How much money does he have now? Again, with a source?

Fire away, and math will begin.

ApatheticNoMore
9-14-16, 2:40pm
I don't think anyone knows how much money Trump really does or doesn't have. Maybe if we had the tax returns we'd have an idea of income at least but ...

Teacher Terry
9-14-16, 2:41pm
Ok Guys : I will need to look it up as I read it a few weeks ago. I also still work p.t. and don't have as much leisure as some of you for these sorts of tasks but I will report back when I do. Alan: love the pic above:))

LDAHL
9-14-16, 2:51pm
That seems an easy claim to run a back-of-the-envelope analysis on. Let's try!

Out of curiosity, how much did Trump inherit, and when? And what is your specific source for that information?

Fire away, and math will begin.

That reminds me of an exercise they used to assign to demonstrate the power of compound interest.

Assuming the Dutch purchased Manhattan Island for $24 dollars in 1626, and assuming a 6% average long-term interest rate, what would the current value of that investment compare to the contemporary value of all Manhattan real estate?

I wonder if such a question would be allowed in today's public schools.

LDAHL
9-14-16, 2:56pm
Didn't the British army used to refer to themselves as the "old contemptibles" in response to a sneer from Kaiser Wilhelm?

Teacher Terry
9-14-16, 5:05pm
I found numerous articles and it is "index funds" not "savings account." Here is One: Vox Policy and politics. Donald Trump is not rich because he is a great investor. He is rich because his dad is rich. There are links in the article to other ones on this subject.

iris lilies
9-14-16, 5:25pm
But think of all of the people Trump employed in his various ventures where he made money, or didnt make money, depending on which data you believe..

I, in my safe little world of non-entrepreneural investing, do not generate mAny jobs.

I have to give him credit for that.

iris lilies
9-14-16, 5:29pm
I'll admit the Miss America pageant isn't what it used to be, but really?

I don't think reading is the problem, it's the believing what we read that gets us into trouble.

well technically it is Miss U.S.A that is in the Trump empire,and if they are i ter changeable to you, know that Miss America has more cashe as legitimate.*. The USA pagents are all about commercialism.

* "Legitimate" you may ask? Haha. i guess I mean that it is less commerical, more about identifying a Girl
Next Door/America's Sweetheart figure.

iris lilies
9-14-16, 5:30pm
You gotta admit Hillary is a change agent. She's made deplorable cool.

http://www.memepile.com/pics/14050.jpg
Who is his hot old guy!!???

Teacher Terry
9-14-16, 5:35pm
IL: TV booze commercials I do believe.

ApatheticNoMore
9-14-16, 5:43pm

the most interesting man in the world

or so I've heard ....

bae
9-14-16, 5:50pm
I found numerous articles ...

"Numerous articles" is not a specific, or useful, or reliable source.

So again:

Alan
9-14-16, 6:08pm
Dos Equis Most Interesting Man In The World.
Here's a short compilation to bring you up to date.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zD6jKvqTO8

Teacher Terry
9-14-16, 6:11pm
Vox Policy and politics. Donald Trump is not rich because he is a great investor. He is rich because his dad is rich. There are links in the article to other ones on this subject.

bae
9-14-16, 6:55pm
Vox Policy and politics. Donald Trump is not rich because he is a great investor. He is rich because his dad is rich. There are links in the article to other ones on this subject.

I hear people repeating various popular viral phrases about each candidate during this election cycle.

Some of them are subject to simple analysis. Yet when I ask for real sources, I usually only get "I read it on the Internet"/"Someone wrote an article"/"I saw a Facebook post"/"Famous Person tweeted it!".

So, again, any details?

iris lilies
9-14-16, 9:51pm
Dos Equis Most Interesting Man In The World.
Here's a short compilation to bring you up to date.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zD6jKvqTO8
That is great, thanks!

LDAHL
9-15-16, 9:15am
That is great, thanks!

I was sorry to hear that they launched him into space so they can replace him with a younger version.

"His only regret was not knowing what regret felt like."

gimmethesimplelife
9-15-16, 8:02pm
I'm a little bit disappointed in Hillary for this comment, too. Such words seem a poor choice given all the drama seemingly already inherent in the 2016 election cycle, and hark back to Mitt Romney's unfortunate comment last time around. For someone painting herself as the shining alternative to those repulsed by Trump, this was not a wise comment to make. I hope her advisers took her aside and coached her against future missteps of this nature. She really needs to keep it more civil and professional 24/7 if she wants to stand as a rational alternative to Trump, especially with all the undecided voters out there. Rob

bae
9-15-16, 9:17pm
I hope her advisers took her aside and coached her against future missteps of this nature. She really needs to keep it more civil and professional ...

Doesn't matter at this point - we all know what she really thinks of us, putting on a fake smile won't cover it up.

Bitterly clinging,

I remain,

bae

jp1
9-15-16, 10:04pm
From assorted videos of Trump campaign rallies I think I can see who she was referring to. From my interactions with the people on this forum I don't think she was referring to anyone here. But I suppose if it's a badge of honor to call oneself a deplorable I'm cool with that. As with most demographic or explanatory labels I'm generally fine with calling people whatever they prefer to be called.

LDAHL
9-16-16, 8:16am
It's hard to take strong offense at Mrs. Clinton's statement. For one thing, epithets like "racist" or "homophobic" (and all those other "ists" and "ics") have been so overused so much in so many overwrought contexts that their potency as insults has been greatly diminished. They've sort of become the "have a nice day" of progressive polemic. For another, it has become increasingly difficult to associate statements made by Clinton or her retainers to what she actually believes. Odds are she didn't mean it, it was just an easy applause line in that particular room.

peggy
9-21-16, 2:59pm
I hear people repeating various popular viral phrases about each candidate during this election cycle.

Some of them are subject to simple analysis. Yet when I ask for real sources, I usually only get "I read it on the Internet"/"Someone wrote an article"/"I saw a Facebook post"/"Famous Person tweeted it!".

So, again, any details?

Doesn't matter at this point - we all know what she really thinks of us, putting on a fake smile won't cover it up.

Bitterly clinging,

I remain,

bae

Do we? Do we REALLY know what she THINKS? Hummm...the irony is strong with this one....

peggy
9-21-16, 3:02pm

Politics aside, I still wonder why she was taken to her daughter's apartment rather than a hospital. Secret Service protocol is to take their principal to the nearest Level 1 trauma center for any medical situations. Speculation will abound as long as inconsistencies such as that continue. She can control the narrative, she just has to be open.

Ha Ha Ha! Republicans concerned about a woman's health! Now that has to be a first!:laff::laff:

Alan
9-21-16, 4:03pm
Ha Ha Ha! Republicans concerned about a woman's health! Now that has to be a first!:laff::laff:
Peggy you should step outside your bubble of negativity sometime, it's sunny and mild out, the humidity is low and birds are chirping happily.
I know it can be scary out here in the real world, but if you become overwhelmed by panic or anxiety, some nice Republican will be happy to take you by the arm and help you safely home.

Gregg
9-22-16, 3:34pm
Its a tough thing for me to get too worked up about. When someone has been part of the system for decades and who's every word is monitored and recorded there are going to be slips. Hillary is about as close to being a Stepford candidate as you could get in that regard. When the primary opposition offers up such gaffs so often that they become accepted as 'his style' it would seem to make more sense to worry about their respective foreign policy positions than their pep rally cries.

LDAHL
9-22-16, 3:59pm
Its a tough thing for me to get too worked up about. When someone has been part of the system for decades and who's every word is monitored and recorded there are going to be slips. Hillary is about as close to being a Stepford candidate as you could get in that regard. When the primary opposition offers up such gaffs so often that they become accepted as 'his style' it would seem to make more sense to worry about their respective foreign policy positions than their pep rally cries.

That's true. Get past Trump's odious bluster and Clinton's intolerable smarm, and positions of both candidates (to the extent we can believes the representations of either) seem similar to me in many cases. Big-government solutions to real or imagined problems and a certain hostility to trade seem to permeate both their campaigns.

freshstart
9-22-16, 11:21pm
I'm a little bit disappointed in Hillary for this comment, too. Such words seem a poor choice given all the drama seemingly already inherent in the 2016 election cycle, and hark back to Mitt Romney's unfortunate comment last time around. For someone painting herself as the shining alternative to those repulsed by Trump, this was not a wise comment to make. I hope her advisers took her aside and coached her against future missteps of this nature. She really needs to keep it more civil and professional 24/7 if she wants to stand as a rational alternative to Trump, especially with all the undecided voters out there. Rob

ITA but as an aside, I have taken to calling my family a basket of deplorables, I love the phrase, just not that she used it.

freshstart
9-22-16, 11:26pm

Bitterly clinging,

I remain,

bae

Bae, can I ask a personal question? What do you like about Trump because he just seems like the last person you would vote for? You don't have to answer such a personal question, I'm just curious

bae
9-23-16, 2:15am
Bae, can I ask a personal question? What do you like about Trump because he just seems like the last person you would vote for? You don't have to answer such a personal question, I'm just curious

I'm not sure why you would leap to the conclusion that I like Trump in any way.... I don't, and don't intend to vote for him.

ApatheticNoMore
9-23-16, 3:18am
I'm sometimes quite tempted to vote for Trump (wow could happen but I'll probably vote Stein when that day comes - it makes more sense in a non-swing state to get the Greens the votes they need to get matching funds etc. - maybe if I was in a swing state I'd vote Trump!), just because Trump is not Hillary.

Yea Trump is bad in plenty of ways of his own, there is no getting around the fact he's bad (and his vice presidential choice even worse than him), and I certainly wouldn't expect any of the groups he insults to vote for him (and that's not the only reason he's bad, many of his positions are not desirable). OTOH Hillary has the entire horrible establishment behind her which makes her an abhorrent choice, George HW Bush is for Hillary (the old CIA man that he is), directors of the CIA are for Hillary, neo-cons are for Hillary, etc.. These people represent everything I am against, how could I vote for Hillary? Whereas Trump merely represents some things that I am against.

Tybee
9-23-16, 9:06am
I'm sometimes quite tempted to vote for Trump (wow could happen but I'll probably vote Stein when that day comes - it makes more sense in a non-swing state to get the Greens the votes they need to get matching funds etc. - maybe if I was in a swing state I'd vote Trump!), just because Trump is not Hillary.

Yea Trump is bad in plenty of ways of his own, there is no getting around the fact he's bad (and his vice presidential choice even worse than him), and I certainly wouldn't expect any of the groups he insults to vote for him (and that's not the only reason he's bad, many of his positions are not desirable). OTOH Hillary has the entire horrible establishment behind her which makes her an abhorrent choice, George HW Bush is for Hillary (the old CIA man that he is), directors of the CIA are for Hillary, neo-cons are for Hillary, etc.. These people represent everything I am against, how could I vote for Hillary? Whereas Trump merely represents some things that I am against.

+100

Gregg
9-23-16, 9:38am
I'm not sure why you would leap to the conclusion that I like Trump in any way.... I don't, and don't intend to vote for him.

That kind of represents one of the most infuriating developments in our politik. If you support one view its now automatically assumed you're opposed to the other. Guilty until proven innocent. I have absolutely zero issues with my support of cops AND Black Lives Matter, but my Facebook feed (for example) is utterly confused with that stance. So silly.

creaker
9-23-16, 11:45am
That kind of represents one of the most infuriating developments in our politik. If you support one view its now automatically assumed you're opposed to the other. Guilty until proven innocent. I have absolutely zero issues with my support of cops AND Black Lives Matter, but my Facebook feed (for example) is utterly confused with that stance. So silly.

The real power lies within defining/controlling the choices - leaving you to choose from whatever choices they have selected for you - or not choosing at all. Basically you only get to play their game.

freshstart
9-23-16, 12:09pm

I thought because you replied "us" in one of your comments and I assumed you meant Trump supporters, sorry

gimmethesimplelife
9-23-16, 12:16pm
I'm in HRC's basket of deplorables, plus number one on her enemy list as an NRA life member. Very happy she doesn't like me, as I loathe her.Fair enough, who you support is certainly your right to choose. I'd only like to state that if you suddenly find yourself forced by the United States to flee to another country, most likely Mexico as it's close, for health and/or dental care, you may rethink your stance on Hillary. At least the woman does not make it part of her shtick to antagonize Mexico, thereby putting easy access to affordable health and dental care to millions of desperate Americans at risk. This is why I maintain that a vote for Hillary is a vote for basic human rights. And yes, for many, America has sunk to this. Rob

bae
9-24-16, 1:38am
I thought because you replied "us" in one of your comments and I assumed you meant Trump supporters, sorry

I'm curious. Who am I supposed to vote for?

My father and father-in-law are gay. One is a Republican, one is a Socialist.

I am intersex, queer, and against the initiation of force against others. Oh, I'm sorta-white (black irish/pictish), and Pagan. And I am perhaps more heavily-armed than all y'all together.

Any input appreciated...

catherine
9-24-16, 8:19am

I am intersex, queer, and against the initiation of force against others. Oh, I'm sorta-white (black irish/pictish), and Pagan. And I am perhaps more heavily-armed than all y'all together.

Any input appreciated...

Hmmm. ya got me. But I love it. Incongruity Rules!! One of the things I love about my DH is that he went directly from active duty in the Marine Corps to working in the theatre. Maybe you need to start a new party made up of other crazy quilts. Problem is, it might be hard to agree on a platform beyond "I'll do my thing and you do yours." Come to think of it, isn't that Libertarian?

Tybee
9-24-16, 8:31am
I was going to ask about the Libertarian candidate--would he do? I know nothing about his platform, but I just read he is up to 10% of the vote in the polls--that is a lot.

LDAHL
9-24-16, 10:57am

Any input appreciated...

So you've assigned yourself a package of identities, and ask how someone as unique as yourself can possibly find a candidate worthy of your vote?

You've highlighted the problem with identity politics. The fact is, virtually all of us are unique individuals. You may think of yourself as a special snowflake, but so does everyone else in the drift. You can't possibly hope to assemble a working majority of people just like you.

Governance always amounts to some combination of consensus, coercion and compromise. I think the trick is to come up with a set of guiding principles and try to get a close-enough agreement on trying to apply them. Failing that, you are either at the mercy of the most ruthless and temporarily powerful among us or descended into semi-tribal chaos.

Who you are (or even what you believe yourself to be) is irrelevant. What you think, and what you're willing to do and capable of doing are what matter.

flowerseverywhere
9-25-16, 10:58am

Any input appreciated...
the person likely to do the least harm to your values. I find the most difficult thing is sorting through the lies and exaggerations based on assumptions from both major party candidates.

Tammy
9-25-16, 12:20pm
I've given up on believing that our votes count for the president. I've been reading up on the electoral college system, and realized that states aren't even required to have a presidential election. The electors in the college can vote however they wish independent of the people's votes.