PDA

View Full Version : Project Runway

19Sandy
9-16-16, 12:29am
Anyone watching Project Runway? The first new episode was on tonight. It amazes me that that they can make stuff so quickly! Tonight, they had to make stuff from their opening party set. They weren't expecting that at all. I know how to sew but have never made my own designs.

sweetana3
9-16-16, 6:56am
Most have a lot of skill in pattern making and sewing. The first show that gave the background of each contestant was informative. Plus, they carefully edit to not show most of the awful construction, such as hems cut and not stitched. Mostly what we see is fit, color, and special design details. I loved the dress made out of paper lanterns. I disliked the yellow winner.

Even the commercials are tolerable to be able to see PR right away.

iris lilies
9-16-16, 9:44am
I love Project RUnway! I watch those episodes long after they have aired on various services, sometimes on dvd.

i don't think there is any great virtue, though, in being able to bang out these designs quickly..While I Do admire the few designers over the years who seem to consistently be able to turn out a quality product quickly, that doesnt make them good designers, it makes them good workmen.

I see around town little dress shoppes with "designers" at the helm and I wonder how Project Runway influenced them. i always assume a mom or dad is the money behind the storefront. Back a century ago we called them "dressmakers""not "designers" and they were usually women.

JaneV2.0
9-16-16, 10:24am
Thanks for the heads up. I never know when it's going to be on.

Some of the designers have mad skills, some of them are divas, I usually disagree with the judges (have they replaced Nina yet? Please? ), but I usually enjoy watching.

sweetana3
9-16-16, 12:24pm
No, Nina is still on.

iris lilies
9-16-16, 12:28pm
No, Nina is still on.
I like Nina! But Tim Gunm, I love him. I want him to be my bro. But then he would expect me to dress 10x better than I do. No, on second thought I will step back and out of the fashion sites of Tim Gunn..

Tim was not complimentary at all about a previous season, was it the one before this current one? He was quite disgusted with the maturit level and lack of professionalism Of all of the participants.

sweetana3
9-16-16, 2:53pm
We love Tim Gunn too. He is just so kind and thoughtful.

Last season he yelled at the Indian designer for not taking the job seriously. I thought the guy was trying to get voted off. The customer hated the outfit. Most of the rest were working hard to get to the end.

The final runway shows were quite a disappointment really. After having all that time to put together a collection, several still had shoddy construction or were not cohesive in any way. And how many women go out for a formal occasion in a colored bra and panties with a lace dress over it (other than walking in a fashion show)? And if you want to show off the back of a dress, why have a long thick pony tail draped over it?

iris lilies
9-16-16, 4:00pm
We love Tim Gunn too. He is just so kind and thoughtful.

Last season he yelled at the Indian designer for not taking the job seriously. I thought the guy was trying to get voted off. The customer hated the outfit. Most of the rest were working hard to get to the end.

The final runway shows were quite a disappointment really. After having all that time to put together a collection, several still had shoddy construction or were not cohesive in any way. And how many women go out for a formal occasion in a colored bra and panties with a lace dress over it (other than walking in a fashion show)? And if you want to show off the back of a dress, why have a long thick pony tail draped over it?
The I dan guy was good, very good! But his heart wasnt in it near the end.

beckyliz
9-16-16, 5:18pm
I put last night on my calendar in July! I kind of liked the glitter pants and the crop top (baseball hat brims? Brilliant!). I do think the editing is done to amp up the drama. Last night, for example, the designers were seemed to all be rolling their eyes at the gal with the yellow, but then she went on to win. If I ever get to NYC again, I want to go to Mood for an entire afternoon.

JaneV2.0
9-16-16, 5:34pm
I'm always waiting for someone to trip over Swatch. (Or is there a new dog now?)

sweetana3
9-16-16, 6:08pm
There are a huge number of store like Mood. I want to see the button store and the trim store. Just their windows were like Aladin's cave.
'

19Sandy
9-16-16, 6:34pm
I'm always waiting for someone to trip over Swatch. (Or is there a new dog now?)

Never seen the dog!

iris lilies
9-16-16, 7:44pm
Never seen the dog!
Swatch has been in every season, at least as I remember it.

He is a Boston Terrior who lives at Mood, the fabric store.

And thats another thing that
I wonder ablut--so many of these fashions on PR aremade with cheap fabrics. They dont pull silks. Manynwools, or other really nice fabrics.

pony mom
9-16-16, 8:02pm
PR is the only reality show I'll watch. I have no interest in fashion but am just amazed at how creative the contestants can be. Loved the yellow dress that won----I'd wear it!!! The other top designs....um, don't know what they saw in them. Thought both were awful.

I'm glad they replaced Michael Kors as judge. Not crazy about him, or his purses, which are covered with his name or initials.

Now that I'm up at 5am for work, I'm going to watch the shorter 1 hr. repeat and be a week behind. It's difficult to stay awake til 10:30. It'll also cut out all the drama that extends the show an extra 30 minutes.

freshstart
9-16-16, 10:57pm
am I the only person who has never seen this show? I'll have to give it a whirl

19Sandy
9-17-16, 2:15am
When I saw the yellow ensemble I expected Heidi or Nina to scream Big Bird!! It was well-made though! You never know what the judges will say or do!

JaneV2.0
9-17-16, 11:18am
am I the only person who has never seen this show? I'll have to give it a whirl

Thursday nights on Lifetime Network. I bet all the previous seasons are available somewhere, too.

sweetana3
9-17-16, 11:37am
Some libraries have sets of DVDs. Ours does but it is a big library system.

iris lilies
9-17-16, 2:07pm
Some libraries have sets of DVDs. Ours does but it is a big library system.
Thats how I first watched PR, through library dvds. I am all caught up now and can probably catch it via Lifetime for free.

catherine
9-17-16, 2:53pm
Love Project Runway. I agree that it's so amazing what people can do with a little fabric and their imagination! Very inspiring. I didn't know the next season had started so I'll have to DVR it.

19Sandy
9-17-16, 10:11pm
They give the contestants/designers a strict budget on each project, so that is probably why they tend to use less expensive fabrics.

Fabric isn't cheap anymore.

Sewing your own clothes was a necessity when I was a kid and cheap - but now a pattern costs more than an outfit at most stores.

iris lilies
9-18-16, 11:36am
PR is the only reality show I'll watch. I have no interest in fashion but am just amazed at how creative the contestants can be. Loved the yellow dress that won----I'd wear it!!! The other top designs....um, don't know what they saw in them. Thought both were awful.

I'm glad they replaced Michael Kors as judge. Not crazy about him, or his purses, which are covered with his name or initials.

Now that I'm up at 5am for work, I'm going to watch the shorter 1 hr. repeat and be a week behind. It's difficult to stay awake til 10:30. It'll also cut out all the drama that extends the show an extra 30 minutes.

I watched this ep 1 last night. i liked the yellow dress, too. It was cohesive. Agree about the other two top picks, they were rather bad.I loved the glitter pants and baseball cap too gut agree with judges, they werent a good combo.

I think it was a very strong showing and thats why the worst dress was not really all that bad. The paper lantern dress which divided the judgng panel was fabulous.

I am glad that Michale Kors is gone, I love Zak and Nina.

19Sandy
9-22-16, 3:58pm
They have to design outfits that fit all body types - not just anorexic models! Episode 2 tonight!

iris lilies
9-24-16, 10:33am
Lets talk episode 2.

The jumpsuit won!? An uglynbrown jumpsuit? I DO appreciate the details of this garment, the suede trim, the orange back panel. But uggggggly! I loved the dress that was almost cartoonish, it was so bright and funny and interesting.

But I wouldn't wear any of them, I dont know in what world jumpsuits are fashionable, amd with heels. Sure.. I am hopeless when it comes to clothes.

19Sandy
9-24-16, 12:49pm
The jumpsuit was well-made but I kept thinking someone would stay that orange is the new black.

It resembled a prison suit IMO.

My other question is that it had a zip pull at the bottom and a stitching tack at the top neck - so how do you get it off quickly to go to the bathroom?

Also, it reminded me of the newest fad in pajamas for adults which are onesies.

beckyliz
9-27-16, 5:05pm
I didn't see much that would fit all types of women last week. Just because Heidi's mom would "rock it," doesn't mean a lot of the rest of us would. I didn't care for the Minnie Mouse dress too much either. What is the love of that neoprene fabric?

19Sandy
9-29-16, 10:28pm
Bric's dress looks like a gunny sack and they save him again because he is so cute -sigh!

Speaking of fashion, what idiot decided not to put pockets on fleece pants - I want some new ones for going on walks or to the park but no pockets! I don't want to carry a bag while walking. Need someplace to put my keys, phone and little water bottle. I am sure it is about making more money since pockets require fabric. So, I simply didn't buy any at all.

19Sandy
9-30-16, 12:46am
Notice how they are getting rid of the oldies and nonattractives. Hate when they do that!!!

They should just have an age 50 and over competition for a change. The judges couldn't handle it though.

catherine
9-30-16, 9:39am
I didn't see much that would fit all types of women last week. Just because Heidi's mom would "rock it," doesn't mean a lot of the rest of us would. I didn't care for the Minnie Mouse dress too much either. What is the love of that neoprene fabric?

I know.. the perception of what real women can wear and what designers want them to wear are two different things. I JUST was able to get caught up..I missed the very first episode but DH and I caught 2 & 3.

I liked the pantsuit after I had a chance to really look at it. I do think it would accommodate various body shapes, and it was well-constructed despite its lack of shape.

I was a bit disappointed that they gave Erin her second win with the black light challenge. I LOVED Cornelius's emoji dress. It was a very nicely made dress, and I agreed with Nina that the surprise element was great. I liked Erin's dress but he should have won.

I also agree that I was disappointed that the oldest contestant was kicked off (although her outfit really was ugly). I always root for the more "mature" contestants, but I think the most successful one was Laura, who was young (compared to me) when she competed--43--but she was a lot older than some of those baby designers.

19Sandy
9-30-16, 9:11pm
I remember Laura - she was awesome.

I still think they kept the blond guy cause he is cute.

Maybe, it should be totally anonymous for one season instead of a beauty contest.

19Sandy
10-6-16, 4:00pm
Tonight is a swimsuit challenge for Heidi's fashion line and she can be really nasty during this selection - fun times to watch!

19Sandy
10-6-16, 10:38pm
Okay, so Heidi is wearing that horrible green ensemble and she doesn't like some of the best swimsuits.

This season is going downhill fast IMO.

The ugly postage stamp thing in yellow was really really really bad!

19Sandy
10-13-16, 7:46pm
Team night - I hate working on teams so this week will be tough to watch.

19Sandy
10-14-16, 1:50am
I am thinking I won't watch this show next season. I don't know what these judges are thinking at all.

catherine
10-14-16, 8:18am
I am thinking I won't watch this show next season. I don't know what these judges are thinking at all.

Sandy, I just chalk up my disagreement with the judges as my being 30-40 years older than most of the designers. I don't read Vogue anymore, so I can't judge "fashion forward." We're catching up on our DVR, so last night we watched the swimsuit show and there was one bathing suit I really liked--the lavender one, and when Heidi said it's like "your granny's swimsuit" I said to DH, "oh, so that explains why I like it."

I don't get mad at the judges on Project Runway as much as I get mad at buyers on HGTV, so I'm happy watching the wild creativity in action and getting a lesson on "fashion forward"

iris lilies
10-24-16, 7:01pm
I watched last weeks episode. Good lord, how can you screw up a little cocktail dress?

The top dresses were interesting, but most everything else was stupid.The young woman who,p went home should have gone home.

catherine
10-24-16, 8:41pm
I watched last weeks episode. Good lord, how can you screw up a little cocktail dress?

The top dresses were interesting, but most everything else was stupid.The young woman who,p went home should have gone home.

I agree, and I think a very talented woman got robbed.

iris lilies
10-24-16, 9:41pm
I agree, and I think a very talented woman got robbed.
Do you mean the French girl?

i predict she and Erin (blonde, applique' designer) will go to Fashion Week.

Last weeks winner just got lucky.

catherine
10-24-16, 10:19pm
Do you mean the French girl?

i predict she and Erin (blonde, applique' designer) will go to Fashion Week.

Last weeks winner just got lucky.

Yes.. I think her name is Laurence. (I was trying to prevent a spoiler..)

I agree--she and Erin are the best. I also like the guy who did the black and white swimsuit (Rik?) Laurence's cocktail dress with those "tufted" sleeves was impeccable. I don't think you could say the same for the girl who won (Jenni?)

iris lilies
10-24-16, 10:40pm
Oh, sorry spoiler! Well, I,guess if people read here, they shoukd expect discussion that includes spoilers.

JaneV2.0
10-25-16, 11:03am
I haven't liked anything Erin has done, but I like Laurence's and Rik's leatherwork. I thought Jenni's version of Erin's applique' was much better than the original. And I always like some of the "safe" designs, but they're here and gone too fast to remember who did what.

iris lilies
10-25-16, 11:47am
I haven't liked anything Erin has done, but I like Laurence's and Rik's leatherwork. I thought Jenni's version of Erin's applique' was much better than the original. And I always like some of the "safe" designs, but they're here and gone too fast to remember who did what.
I liked Erin's work a lot, especially that neoprene Minnie Mouse dress, but there is not way Id wear any of it at any point n my life.

The guy wh made the brown dress with long brown fringe--I could only think of that Project Runway winner who made all of those dresses with long fringe. The judges went gaga over his work and I thought it was so wtf.

JaneV2.0
10-25-16, 12:12pm
I really thought the Minnie Mouse--or was it Snow White?--dress was gagworthy, and I can't imagine wearing Neoprene anywhere except in the water, and I generally like yellow--at least some shades of it--but not an unrelieved acid bath of it. Her style is not mine.

I agree--a little fringe goes a long way. The judges' taste, IMO, is not as good as they think it is.

iris lily
10-25-16, 12:20pm
1641I didnt love the yellow ensemble but it was kind of fun.

and It is this dress that I loved.The big stiches! So cool. So "editorial" dahling.

Selah
10-25-16, 3:36pm
I watched that show for many seasons, even though I don't really care about clothes and I can't sew worth a darn. But I liked the creativity and the pithy remarks of the judges. DH and I still go around the house mimicking Heidi Klum, saying things like "You are OUT," and "your garment...is a snoozefest!"

By the way, what's up with the fashionistas' use of the singular form of "pants?" "You could pair that metallic halter with a sleek pant and stacked heels and it would be FABULOUS!"

iris lilies
10-25-16, 5:34pm
I notice the "pant" thIng, too. They are so weird,
I would last about 5 Seconds in that world. But still I love
Heidi and Zac and Tim and Nina!

iris lilies
11-25-16, 2:22pm
I am caught up on PR episodes. That little gray dress that won last week was adorable! Pattern lines and the leather decorations. It was so cute!

iris lilies
12-18-16, 11:19pm
I am still an Erin fan, going into the final episodes. Her pink dress with the big sleeves and clackety sparkling discs was cool. Thst fabric she designed was absolutely gorgeous! But used in a dull saggy dress.

Laurance' s collection is surprisingly dull. The Nigaraguan guy's collection was cute but not eye catching or interesting.
Despite what judges said at the pre show about the three looks of each designer,
I think Roberto is the guy to beat after Erin. His 60's stuff is interesting.

JaneV2.0
12-19-16, 1:23pm
I'm unimpressed--frankly, all the collections are lackluster. I'd like Laurence to win, mostly because her personality appeals to me.

beckyliz
12-19-16, 1:36pm
I got caught up Saturday morning - so far, I think it's Erin's to lose. I love Laurence, Ric & Roberi, but their garments aren't as exciting as what I'd expected. I think the judges love Erin's kicky, fun designs and that is what will win this season. So excited that PR Jr is starting right up!

KayLR
12-19-16, 3:23pm
I've never watched PR, even though Seth Aaron Henderson is from my city. I wonder what I'd have to argue against to watch it? Oh, Thursday Night Football....ugh.

But you all have piqued my interest.

iris lilies
12-19-16, 3:30pm
I've never watched PR, even though Seth Aaron Henderson is from my city. I wonder what I'd have to argue against to watch it? Oh, Thursday Night Football....ugh.

But you all have piqued my interest.Project Rumway is beloved by those who dont even care about clothes!

catherine
12-19-16, 3:39pm
I think I'm with you guys on Erin. She's extremely creative--a bit too Minnie Mouse for me, but I appreciate her use of really unusual materials. Laurence is a real technician and craftsman. Rik always has a very unique take on the challenges and has a clear point of view (a bit noir for me, but interesting), and Roberi always pulls really interesting things out of his butt when you least expect it.

I agree it's Erin's to lose at this point.

iris lilies
12-19-16, 5:21pm
I think I'm with you guys on Erin. She's extremely creative--a bit too Minnie Mouse for me, but I appreciate her use of really unusual materials. Laurence is a real technician and craftsman. Rik always has a very unique take on the challenges and has a clear point of view (a bit noir for me, but interesting), and Roberi always pulls really interesting things out of his butt when you least expect it.

I agree it's Erin's to lose at this point.
Laurence COULD have come up with a collection that is highly tailored in her black leather, sohpisicated, edgy.
Instead, she went for fairly dull things that to.d her own "story." That is a mistake.

iris lilies
12-27-16, 9:46pm
Project Runway jr. has kids as young as 13 competing. Amazing! I remember sewing without a pattern when I was 13. My "garment was not well made." To say the least.

But that outfit that won, the skirt and top, thst was the cutest thing in the world. I loved that big time!

jp1
12-28-16, 8:42am
Project Rumway is beloved by those who dont even care about clothes!

I hadn't really thought about it that way but, yes, as someone who pretty much only gets new clothes when SO buys them for me for christmas, I fall into that category.