PDA

View Full Version : Happy Armistice Day.

LDAHL
11-11-16, 11:26am
My father's father fought in the war that ended on the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month of 1918. I still have his Purple Heart and Silver Star, as a reminder of the favor he did the world nearly a century ago.

As a lesser son of greater sires, my own military service was nothing to compare with his, but I still like to think of it as my finest hour.

So I'll be toasting veterans today with no small amount of gratitude.

Tybee
11-11-16, 12:05pm
My father's father fought in the war that ended on the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month of 1918. I still have his Purple Heart and Silver Star, as a reminder of the favor he did the world nearly a century ago.

As a lesser son of greater sires, my own military service was nothing to compare with his, but I still like to think of it as my finest hour.

So I'll be toasting veterans today with no small amount of gratitude.

For my uncle, who died and is buried at Normandy, and provided air cover for the troops at D Day
For my seven (at last count) great grandfathers who fought the British in the Revolutionary War
For my dad, who forged his birth certificate to join the Marines at 15 in WWII.
For the grandfathers who fought in the Civil War, on both sides.

Thank you all. And thank you, LDAHL.

Alan
11-11-16, 12:24pm
I feel humbled on Veterans Day each year. There's a picture of my 19 year old self, in uniform, on the wall at work today, as well as in the Autism Unit's classroom at the local elementary school.

I received an email from an associate this morning thanking me for my service and it makes me want to hide lest others wish to thank me in person. Veterans do not serve for recognition, they serve for their personal convictions of duty and honor. I think it only right that people show their respect, but many of us feel that others deserve it more since not all of us faced hostile fire even though it was part of the job description.

I'm proud that people of good will honor us as many do truly earn it, but it's always an odd day for me.

LDAHL
11-11-16, 12:35pm
I think it only right that people show their respect, but many of us feel that others deserve it more since not all of us faced hostile fire even though it was part of the job description.

I'm proud that people of good will honor us as many do truly earn it, but it's always an odd day for me.

That's exactly how I feel. I didn't wade ashore at Tarawa or crawl into dark tunnels in Cu Chi Province. I was basically an accountant with a security clearance.

JaneV2.0
11-11-16, 1:31pm
Though I'm anything but pro-war, or even pro-military, I'm proud that my male relatives (and partner) have stepped up to serve since revolutionary times (and on the right side, too!) They did what they felt was their duty to protect their country. No chicken hawks they.

IshbelRobertson
11-11-16, 5:43pm
My father and uncle were officers in the Argyll and Sutherland highlanders. My father served in Palestine, Aden, Singapore and Germany.

My mother's two brothers were PoWs in the second world war, one at the fall of Singapore, aged 19, worked on the Burma Railway and the experience of being a captive of the Japanese coloured the whole of the rest of his life. His brother was a RN officer. Torpedoed twice, once on the Atlatic convoys, the second time on the Murmansk run where he was captured by the German sub.

In my generation, one cousin was a bomb disposal officer in Northern Ireland and the Falklands. Another cousin served on the forward command ship in the Falklands and in the Gulf War. Another was an SAS operative in Afghnistan and Iraq.

Earlier ancestors fought in the Crimea, the Boer War and so on, back the the Jacobite Uprisings.

'Lest We Forget'.

LDAHL
11-12-16, 9:29am
My father and uncle were officers in the Argyll and Sutherland highlanders.

They​ gave a good account of themselves at the Battle of New Orleans.

IshbelRobertson
11-12-16, 10:09am
Still lost the War!

The A&SH regimental museum is based in Stirling Castle. I always visit when in the viciniy. There are photographs in a display of my Dad and others including my godfather, Col 'Mad Mitch' Mitchell during their 'spot of local difficulty in Aden'.

The Scots always sound chippy when we say our regiments were used as cannon-fodder, but it was often the truth.