PDA

View Full Version : BloodSTOP hemostatic gauze/veterinary

bae
4-26-11, 2:50pm
My Basset Hound uses her nose as a tool. A lot.

A couple of years ago, she managed to tear a blood vessel inside her nose, and was shooting blood all over with every heartbeat. Holding an 85 pound Basset down to apply direct pressure to its sensitive nose with gauze, somehow allowing it to breath, while driving to the vet was a challenge, as was holding it down while we cauterized the injury. I had to burn my clothes afterwards, essentially.

The vet told us it was likely to happen again, and gave us a couple of BloodSTOP veterinary-grade hemostatic gauze packages to use the next time.

Well, last night, about midnight, as I was letting the dog in, it basically exploded in our mud room. It looked like a bad scene from Dexter, blood was spraying everywhere - it was much worse than last time. To make matters worse, my wife and kid were away, and I was basically one-legged, because I sprained the heck out of my ankle this weekend, and am still not really walking.

Luckily, I had the BloodSTOP product prepositioned in the first aid kit in the mud room, as well as a mountain of gauze. And I remembered to strip down to my skivies before diving into the blood. I popped open the package, only to find a very small strip of gauze, about the size of a small bandaid - 1/2" x 2". I thought this wasn't a good sign, but I wet it as directed, and then wrestled the dog down, and placed that little bit of gauze up inside the vast Basset nose with a Q-tip, and held it for a bit.

Amazing stuff. The high-pressure spurting stopped within a few seconds. I held pressure a bit with some cotton gauze to be sure.

Of course, at just that moment the door opens, and there is my wife, viewing giant Basset being wrestled by nearly-nekkid husband, with blood everywhere. Perfect.

Dog seems fine now, no bleeding still, the vet says I probably don't even need to recauterize the nose.

A decent product.

treehugger
4-26-11, 2:59pm
That's quite a colorful product review. Thanks for sharing that. My female greyhound is a bleeder. Her Delicate Princess Skin (TM) gets nicked easily and then she bleeds all over stuff.

Kara

CathyA
4-27-11, 12:28am
LOL Bae......funny image.
Did you take the gauze back out? Did the package say what was in it?
When I worked in the ER, we used silver nitrate sticks on nosebleeds sometime.
I just recently read about some hemostatic powder to use on chickens to stop bleeding, but never used it myself.

This is off-topic a bit, but several years ago I developed horrible nosebleeds. I thought I would bleed out, but ENT told me it doesn't happen. They would sometimes spurt horribly for an hour. Anyhow.....the ENT told me to blow my nose the next time. Seemed sort of counter-intuitive, but I was desperate. I tried it and it worked! Apparently, the first blood to come out of a nose bleed has anticoagulant in it. Once you blow that out, it coagulates sooner. Who would have thought?
(So next time, ask your dog to blow her nose). :)

bae
4-27-11, 12:39am
The "gauze" is some natural cellulose product, that turns to glue-like gel as you apply it, and is water soluble. For this nose application, it looks like it is just melting out as the wound underneath scabs and heals. Yay.

iris lily
4-27-11, 7:46pm
Thank you for this Tale of the Mighty Hound, His Noble Injury, and the Heroic Battle to Save His Vast and Valuable Nose.

Me, I just get pee and poo to clean up with my dogs, nothing so dramatic.

Greg44
4-27-11, 9:11pm
That must have been quite a sight!

I worked for a vet while in High School & my 1st year of college. We once amputated a Saint Bernard's hind leg. Poor thing had been hit by a car. The surgery room walls, the doctor and I, etc. covered in blood. The next day the dog was up walking on three legs as happy as can be! Drooling everywhere!