PDA

View Full Version : tendinosis of the shoulder!

earthshepherd
4-27-11, 3:38pm
It hurts!! I have a diagnosis, but I have yet to see the doc to find out what to do about it. Anyone here have experience with tendinosis? My understanding is I am in for therapy and maybe, eventually, surgery.

CathyA
4-27-11, 4:45pm
Ouch. That can really be painful. Can you take NSAIDS without ruining your GI tract? Sometimes a smaller than recommended dose can help. Try not to use your arm. Ice to the area might help. I've heard PT, and steroid shots might help. I believe I had it for awhile. It happened to me when my kids were little and I kept reaching into the back seat to give them things (or to smack them.....haha.....just kidding).
I think not using it for awhile is really important. I think sometimes they put the arm in a sling, to keep you from using it. Then starting PT to learn how to use your arm muscles better is helpful.
Good luck Ellen!

janharker
4-27-11, 8:46pm
Tendonosis or tendonitis?

Here's a site that might be helpful: http://www.tendonitisexpert.com/tendonosis.html

Note that steroid injections do not help, and may do harm.

CathyA
4-27-11, 8:49pm
Jan......isn't it only when you do too many steroid shots, that you may ruin the tissues? I'm thinking one might be enough, then follow up with PT, etc.

earthshepherd
4-27-11, 9:26pm
I was told it is tendonosis, and not to be confused with tendonitis: tendonitis is an acute injury with inflammation that responds to anti-inflammatory drugs, and my understanding about tendonosis is that it is a chronic injury without inflammation. I hope it responds to some sort of treatment. I am having trouble lifting, opening doors and even driving. I just wondered if anyone might have experience going through physical therapy for tendinosis. I am feeling a bit pessimistic about it after googling the treatment options, which don't sound too hopeful.

CathyA
4-27-11, 9:45pm
I'm sorry Ellen.....I've never heard of tendonosis, and just thought you had misspelled it. Sorry I can't offer any suggestions. But I would hope you would get a second opinion, before doing anything too drastic (surgery). good luck.

janharker
4-28-11, 12:44pm
CathyA, a few years ago I got One corizone shot in my tailbone. Turns out that the shot did not address the cause of the pain. The location of that shot still causes trouble (pain of its own).

citrine
4-28-11, 12:51pm
Earthshepherd...find a Licensed Massage Therapist that does Neuromuscular Therapy...you may have some trigger points that contributing to the pain. As for the range of motion problem, a therapist can work out the whole shoulder/scapula area to increase you ROM. You may have to go for at least 3-5 treatments, but it will help :)

CathyA
4-28-11, 1:34pm
I agree.....I think I would try an alternative-type treatment first, before letting an orthopedic surgeon get hold of you.
Jan....that's unfortunate. I had a couple shots in my foot for plantar fasciitis and it worked great. (but I think the custom orthotics helped the most).
But I sure wouldn't get many of them.....even if they were helping.

JaneV2.0
4-28-11, 1:44pm
Reading the description of it, I believe I had a bout long ago--trying to open a locked drawer by angrily yanking it didn't work for me rrrrr--and the result was shoulder and arm pain and a pinched nerve. I went to a chiropractor, which helped a lot. I find that most things that go wrong with my body heal themselves over time; that shoulder still acts up sometimes if I sleep on it, but otherwise it doesn't bother me.

CathyA
5-3-11, 4:38pm
How's it going Ellen? Any relief yet?

earthshepherd
5-3-11, 10:25pm
I had a shot of somethin-er-other (some kind of steroid) put in it this morning -- it does feel a bit better. Also I was prescribed 2x a week therapy, to be followed up with a regular exercise regimen. Hopefully I can avoid surgery.

CathyA
5-4-11, 7:20am
Hi Ellen,
I know everyone is different, but I've had problems like this that have eventually resolved on their own. Hopefully yours will heal without the surgery. Good luck with healing!

Cheryl
5-4-11, 10:07am
I had impingement on both shoulders at different times and the last time I had it on my left side I also had rotator cuff tendonitis and went through about 6 weeks of physical therapy and a couple of massages and I haven't had any problem since. The first time I did have PT and ended up taking celebrex before they took it off the market and that combination helped too. Good luck but I would definitely do the PT or alternative treatment before surgery.

earthshepherd
5-4-11, 9:37pm
started PT today. I am hopeful, and the young therapy dudes are super cute! :D