PDA

View Full Version : Tax Filing

Cypress
2-4-17, 1:43pm
For the past four years, I have taken advantage of a lower income free filing grant in my County. My income is now above the free filing privilege. The forms were prepared by support staff and double checked for accuracy. I am on my own now and don't want to pay an H&R rate.

Typically, my tax form is fairly simple. By taking no deductions, I tend to benefit. Can I file by paper? They filed State and Fed forms. Darn, I am sorry to lose that service. I guess I can get all forms online.

catherine
2-4-17, 2:28pm
How about TurboTax? I've used them for years, and I think it's great. I think simple filing is $0 (I think that's what they said, but I don't know the details.

https://turbotax.intuit.com

ToomuchStuff
2-5-17, 9:54am
Yes you can file by paper (typically local libraries carry the forms), or you can download and print most forms. Your income went up so you don't qualify, but do you expect it to be similar to your past filings? If so, just have one handy to compare, just don't use those numbers.

iris lilies
2-5-17, 10:01am
Yes you can file by paper (typically local libraries carry the forms), or you can download and print most forms. Your income went up so you don't qualify, but do you expect it to be similar to your past filings? If so, just have one handy to compare, just don't use those numbers.
Libraries aren't carrying forms any more.

iris lilies
2-5-17, 10:02am
For the past four years, I have taken advantage of a lower income free filing grant in my County. My income is now above the free filing privilege. The forms were prepared by support staff and double checked for accuracy. I am on my own now and don't want to pay an H&R rate.

Typically, my tax form is fairly simple. By taking no deductions, I tend to benefit. Can I file by paper? They filed State and Fed forms. Darn, I am sorry to lose that service. I guess I can get all forms online.
I think you mean you just take the "standard deduction" rather than itemizing deductions. Some years that works best for us, too.

jp1
2-5-17, 10:27am
For basic taxes turbotax is free. They will, however, charge for state taxes.

simplelife4me
2-20-17, 9:55pm
I do my own paper filing and get pdf forms off irs.gov.

Yppej
3-5-17, 10:22am
I call the IRS and state DOR forms requests lines. I wouldn't mind printing the forms from online but don't want to waste my toner in the instruction booklets. It takes 2 to 3 weeks for the forms to arrive in the mail.

freshstart
3-5-17, 2:53pm
my library offers free prep for anyone below a certain income level and it's actually pretty high that they allow