PDA

View Full Version : Devos chosen for Secretary of Education

CathyA
2-7-17, 4:49pm
Trump is consistent........all his choices are inappropriate.
Our poor education system.

nswef
2-7-17, 5:01pm
I just hope that the bogging down in gvt. will curtail some of the horrible ideas...stall them for four years.

creaker
2-7-17, 5:55pm
I wonder if private prison companies will get into the charter school business? Probably some good economic and cost saving opportunities there. Not to mention profits.

freshstart
2-7-17, 6:04pm
I'm truly disgusted

nswef
2-7-17, 6:22pm
Creaker, you are right. Privatization is not always the best method to improve government services. I have felt ill knowing how hopeless it is to stop all this carnage of our values.

Alan
2-7-17, 6:36pm
Why does the federal government have so much influence on local schools? Does it ensure students get a better education than they did prior to 1980?

bae
2-7-17, 6:47pm
What percentage of an "average" K-12 public school's budget comes from the Federal government?

jp1
2-7-17, 6:51pm
What percentage of an "average" K-12 public school's budget comes from the Federal government?

About 10% if I recall correctly. Personally I tend to agree with Alan. If she gets rid of W's no testing company left behind law I will be happy. My impression though, from what I know about her, is that her goal isn't simply to reduce the federal government role in education.

iris lilies
2-7-17, 8:57pm
About 10% if I recall correctly. Personally I tend to agree with Alan. If she gets rid of W's no testing company left behind law I will be happy. My impression though, from what I know about her, is that her goal isn't simply to reduce the federal government role in education.
Yes that hated legislation, the baby of Ted
Kennedy who worked for years to get it passed. W shoulda been far less cooperative. NCLB s another big step twoard feds getting their hands into stuff that is not theirs to muck with.

But since it was so onerous (and I think it IS onerous, reaching legislation!) why didnt the
get rid of it in 2009-2011 when they were in charge? Democratic House,
House, Democratic Senate, Democratic President.

Could it be that once the gubmnet enacts something, it seldom goes away?

perhaps a new age has dawned in D.C. And that tradition will be put out to pasture.

Alan
2-7-17, 9:02pm
Could it be that once the gubmnet enacts something, it seldom goes away?

perhaps a new age has dawned in D.C. And that tradition will be put out to pasture.

Viva la revolucion!

creaker
2-7-17, 9:38pm
Why does the federal government have so much influence on local schools? Does it ensure students get a better education than they did prior to 1980?

For my youngest - but still took a lot of work and occasional lawyers:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_Appropriate_Public_Education

Zoe Girl
2-7-17, 9:42pm
I am not sure where I fall on the federal involvement in schools, I would be open to that conversation. However from the inside of education I am beyond f*ing pissed off. As long as we have a secretary of education they should know SOMETHING about public education. It is an insult to all the people who have degrees, and masters and PHD's in the field. I am sure you can find trained educators who have similar positions and have at least some background.

The part I am laughing about is that I went to a mountain school. We had a lock down from a loose bear, the golf course was shut down a few times due to a bear, and I was late to school once due to a loose buffalo. My sister;s school was across the street from a buffalo preserve so the handbook told the kids to not go over there. I don't think anyone had a gun in the school and we were fine. You just close the doors and let animal control or the police handle it. I have been in many more lock-downs living in the suburbs and the city. We had one lock down in the suburbs due to someone building bombs for a terrorist threat in fact.

jp1
2-7-17, 10:11pm
For my youngest - but still took a lot of work and occasional lawyers:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_Appropriate_Public_Education

And therein lies one of the problems with Betsy's plans. Will the vouchers be of use to special needs kids? Or will they only have the option of a public school? And if the public school system where they live is shrinking because "regular" students are abandoning it, what will be left for both the average students and the special needs students. Probably not much as an ever larger percentage of the school system's budget will have to be dedicated to the neediest students, leaving less and less for the "average" students. Seems like a good recipe for manufacturing a death spiral in the public schools. But for someone who never went to public schools, never sent their kid to public schools, and has never worked in education or been on a school board or otherwise had any remotely relevant experience with schools, I suppose that's a feature, not a bug.

Williamsmith
2-7-17, 10:19pm
I am not sure where I fall on the federal involvement in schools, I would be open to that conversation. However from the inside of education I am beyond f*ing pissed off. As long as we have a secretary of education they should know SOMETHING about public education. It is an insult to all the people who have degrees, and masters and PHD's in the field. I am sure you can find trained educators who have similar positions and have at least some background.

The part I am laughing about is that I went to a mountain school. We had a lock down from a loose bear, the golf course was shut down a few times due to a bear, and I was late to school once due to a loose buffalo. My sister;s school was across the street from a buffalo preserve so the handbook told the kids to not go over there. I don't think anyone had a gun in the school and we were fine. You just close the doors and let animal control or the police handle it. I have been in many more lock-downs living in the suburbs and the city. We had one lock down in the suburbs due to someone building bombs for a terrorist threat in fact.

FDR - a well respected and oft quoted Democrat President by the left and progressives - appointed the Supreme Commander of the Allied Expeditionary Forces in Europe in WW2.........a young Colonel in the Army whose military experience boasted leading training exercises at Fort Sam Houston, Texas. His name was Dwight D. Eisenhower and he never fought in battle or even commanded troops in combat. He did a decent job.

This and the fact that the previous administration's last Secretary of Education was a Harvard, Columbia and Yale graduate.........(How did he miss out on Princeton?)...... who presided over the very popular "Every Student Suceeds Act". I didn't notice how Mr. King made the schools great again.

Ms. DeVos deserves to have the echos of the last vote fade away before she gets slammed as ignorant and ineffective. Even if that last vote was history in the making. "And that's the way it is Tuesday February 7th, 2017."

bae
2-7-17, 11:07pm
This and the fact that the previous administration's last Secretary of Education was a Harvard, Columbia and Yale graduate.........(How did he miss out on Princeton?)......

Princeton isn't a vocational school. :-)

LDAHL
2-8-17, 9:24am
Princeton isn't a vocational school. :-)

More of a vacational school, is it? But seriously, any school with an ROTC program is alright by me.

JaneV2.0
2-8-17, 11:22am
I'm not sure we need a Secretary of Education. I think some elimination and consolidation is a good thing in government, kind of like pruning works in gardening, so I side with zoe girl here.

If you're going to have the position, it shouldn't be a political plum for some clueless big-money donor with an agenda. But it's clear the entire administration, from top to bottom, is going to be run this way, as a dictatorship where the only qualifications for appointment are a willingness to suck up to The Donald, and a clear preference for greed over good.

Teacher Terry
2-8-17, 3:26pm
People flooded Heller's office with phone calls, emails, letters etc all against this moron to no avail. He shut his phone system down in NV so then they flooded his Washington line. People will not forget this in the next election. Jane you are so right.

lac
2-8-17, 3:36pm
And the biggest dunce (Pence) confirmed her. Glad Pence is out of Indiana. Too bad for rest of country. Hope country still exists in 4 years.

bae
2-8-17, 4:39pm
If you're going to have the position, it shouldn't be a political plum for some clueless big-money donor with an agenda.

https://media.giphy.com/media/b9aScKLxdv0Y0/giphy.gif

bae
2-8-17, 4:43pm
People will not forget this in the next election.

There are only 8 Republican Senators up for re-election in the coming mid-term election.

Barrasso, John (R-WY)
Corker, Bob (R-TN)
Cruz, Ted (R-TX)
Fischer, Deb (R-NE)
Flake, Jeff (R-AZ)
Hatch, Orrin G. (R-UT)
Heller, Dean (R-NV)
Wicker, Roger F. (R-MS)

LDAHL
2-8-17, 5:20pm
There are only 8 Republican Senators up for re-election in the coming mid-term election.

Barrasso, John (R-WY)
Corker, Bob (R-TN)
Cruz, Ted (R-TX)
Fischer, Deb (R-NE)
Flake, Jeff (R-AZ)
Hatch, Orrin G. (R-UT)
Heller, Dean (R-NV)
Wicker, Roger F. (R-MS)

I​ doubt many of these people are particularly worried about the wrath of the teachers' unions.

jp1
2-8-17, 5:29pm
I​ doubt many of these people are particularly worried about the wrath of the teachers' unions.

Indeed. If I were to make a guess I'd say only Dean Heller needs to have even a remote concern.

Gregg
2-9-17, 1:23am
Indeed. If I were to make a guess I'd say only Dean Heller needs to have even a remote concern.

Unfortunately Deb Fischer does not.