PDA

View Full Version : Reading list for 24 Countries

freshstart
3-4-17, 9:19pm
http://blog.ed.ted.com/2016/12/08/the-worlds-required-reading-list-the-books-that-students-read-in-28-countries/

I asked my new Egyptian friend if he had read The Days in school and he had and he enlightened me that this author is considered the most prolific and profound of Arabic philosophers. The book has been nominated for the Nobel Prize 13 times and never won.

The American entry is To Kill a Mockingbird. He had never read it. So we are going to read each other's country's book and then talk about it. I've made my world so small that he is my first Arabic friend. I am looking forward to learning more about his culture. Although his childhood (he's Christian) was suburban and didn't sound all that different than mine.

iris lilies
3-4-17, 9:44pm
Cool! Sounds like a good project!

ToomuchStuff
3-4-17, 10:04pm
Interesting reading list.
I did laugh at the I've made my world so small though. It reminded me of other examples here and a young man I know whose goal was to find out if a cute, local Arabic girl would say Oh God, or Praise Allah.:laff:

freshstart
3-5-17, 2:51pm
lmao, toomuchstuff

tiranda
3-23-17, 3:17pm
Bookmarked it. Thanks for the link and the inspiration!

razz
3-23-17, 3:44pm
Well, I looked at the book listed for Canada. I have not neither heard of it nor read it. Some from other countries I have heard offend even read. I wonder how accurate each country sees the chosen volume.

"Canada
The Wars (1977) by Timothy Findley
What it’s about: Robert Ross, a 19-year-old Canadian, tries to cope with the death of his sister by enlisting to fight in World War I. Beset by his own demons, he travels to France where he fights in the trenches and sees the worst of warfare — and of humanity.
Why it’s taught: “It’s an iconic Canadian novel. It’s so brutally honest in its depiction of war, sorrow, and coming to terms with an uncaring world in one’s own way,” says Karen Goepen-Wee. “This text does not tread lightly around the angst and horror of World War 1 for Canadian soldiers,” says Will Gourley."

iris lilies
3-23-17, 3:59pm
I know, razz, is t that weird? Hmm, I questin the validity of that choice.

I havent heard of the book for Bulgaria, for instance, but I woild not have expected t onow that one. But Canada, I should inow.

also, why is the list of countries so limited? Nothing for Romania, Switzerland, the U.K. Or any country therein.
I will bet there are similar lists that have better content.