PDA

View Full Version : Can't Find This Product

19Sandy
3-11-17, 12:16am
Not sure what forum category this is but I can't find a product.

I am looking for a surge protector that has old-fashioned telephone line hook ups for input and output (one each of those) and at least two electrical outlets.

Input and outlet holes for landline cords look like little squares.

So far, I can only find ones with USB ports or three prong electrical outlets.

The girl at the store sold me the wrong kind saying it would work and I have to take it back.

I live in nowheresville so I am willing to order one from a bigger store but just want to make sure it is the right thing.

The one I have currently is from Phillips and it has 5 electrical outlets on the top and the telephone in and out connections are on the end of it.

It is getting older though so I thought it would be a breeze to find one but I am not having any luck in nowheresville.

I hate having to take things back to a store but this one is not the right thing at all.

mschrisgo2
3-11-17, 12:58am
https://www.amazon.com/BESTEK-12-Outlet-Protector-Satellite-Protection/dp/B0191DTXD6/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1489211544&sr=8-17-spons&keywords=surge+protector+for+corded+phone&psc=1

Amazon is your friend.

19Sandy
3-11-17, 2:28am
I've been looking at amazon, but a lot of stuff there is old and no longer available (sold out). Some of it is scams and some of it is to go to overseas sites. I am being cautious because I already got scammed with something that I have to take back. I hope I can find something in person or to buy from a reliable source. I will have to use a credit card and don't want anything dicey to go on. It is just ridiculous that none of the stores have these in stock. Heck the sales girl sold me a 3 prong electrical protector and told me the landlines would go in that tiny hole. I was doubtful and now I have to drive all the way to the store to make a return.

Gardnr
3-11-17, 7:46am
https://www.amazon.com/BESTEK-12-Outlet-Protector-Satellite-Protection/dp/B0191DTXD6/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1489211544&sr=8-17-spons&keywords=surge+protector+for+corded+phone&psc=1

Amazon is your friend.

This has USB ports not old fashioned telephone jacks.

Gardnr
3-11-17, 7:49am
Office Depot: https://goo.gl/HLGxeZ

I can "blow it up" on my tablet and this looks like the old fashioned jack insert.

Alan
3-11-17, 9:29am
It helps to use the correct terminology when looking for items. Search for a surge protector with RJ11 jacks, a quick look on Amazon revealed lots of choices.
RJ11 is a 6 pin telephone jack, RJ45 is an 8 pin Ethernet jack. They look the same except for size so don't depend on how it looks.

JaneV2.0
3-11-17, 10:14am
And I have never, ever had a problem ordering from Amazon. I have Prime and I like that I only had to enter My CC#information once; I'm confident that their network is secure as anything can be. The few times I've had issues, they've been resolved immediately. Order with confidence.

CathyA
3-11-17, 12:11pm
It helps to use the correct terminology when looking for items. Search for a surge protector with RJ11 jacks, a quick look on Amazon revealed lots of choices.
RJ11 is a 6 pin telephone jack, RJ45 is an 8 pin Ethernet jack. They look the same except for size so don't depend on how it looks.

You're such a knowledgeable person, Alan! (in spite of your political views)....... :~)

ToomuchStuff
3-11-17, 12:43pm
This has USB ports not old fashioned telephone jacks.

Time to break out the glasses. Down at the bottom on the same side as the cable (where it says phone).
One reason Alan has his views is because of knowing the language. Not knowing what things mean, make it easy to fake people out.

Gardnr
3-11-17, 3:48pm
Time to break out the glasses. Down at the bottom on the same side as the cable (where it says phone).
One reason Alan has his views is because of knowing the language. Not knowing what things mean, make it easy to fake people out.

Sometimes I need stronger ones>8)

19Sandy
3-12-17, 12:32am

I am making a note of this info on an index card to carry with me while shopping. I knew it had some type of number to help with it. They should have different numbers (not so close) to make it easier.

ToomuchStuff
3-12-17, 12:39am
I am making a note of this info on an index card to carry with me while shopping. I knew it had some type of number to help with it. They should have different numbers (not so close) to make it easier.

There is a reason they are close. It has to do with telecommunications. RJ11 is an old phone standard, where the old telephone lines had four wires (maximum, two telephone lines). RJ45 has 8 wires and can be used as a mix of telephone and network, or just network. (and it has a wider jack because of it)

19Sandy
3-12-17, 12:43am
There is a reason they are close. It has to do with telecommunications. RJ11 is an old phone standard, where the old telephone lines had four wires (maximum, two telephone lines). RJ45 has 8 wires and can be used as a mix of telephone and network, or just network. (and it has a wider jack because of it)

Great info - I now know more than the experts (lol) that sold me the wrong one. Apparently the right one is going to cost more too!

I wonder if there are adapters to use other types of surge protectors with the phone lines. I know they had a lot of bits and pieces at the store that were to connect stuff.

jp1
3-13-17, 11:45am
https://www.cnet.com/news/9-things-you-should-know-about-surge-protectors/

Since I recently replaced the surge protectors in our home den I found this article helpful in understanding better how to pick a good quality product. Not that we get much lightning in San Francisco, but who knows, we may not live here forever.

jp1
3-17-17, 3:55pm
And most importantly, don't be like my friend...

http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s363/jpatter492/IMG_0338_zpss5qysztk.jpg (http://s1048.photobucket.com/user/jpatter492/media/IMG_0338_zpss5qysztk.jpg.html)

19Sandy
3-21-17, 8:34pm
Found a local store that has 4 in stock, hope to get one next week when I have some extra cash. 10 dollars cheaper than best buy's price!