PDA

View Full Version : What's your version of the simple life?

Spartana
1-3-11, 5:07pm
Hi all new - and not so new - simple livers. Since we are starting off new, I figured it's a good time to say what our personal version of the simple good life is. It means so many different things to so many different people so what's yours?

For me (formerly She-Rah the Gloat Queen) it's about living a very minimalistic, spartan life without alot of things and loving it that way. Being able to use my earnings to retire early so that I can do what I want, when I want - travel (ultra low budget grundgy backpacker style preferably), play my many sports and physical activities, volunteer for my pet-projects (green urban living), spend more time with family, friends, my pups. I'd prefer to live a tiny little house or condo in a smallish city close to great wilderness and outdoor recreation. Somewhere that I can walk, bike and use public transportation to get to everthing I need and do away with the car. Where I can use minimal natural resources to heat, cool, furnish, and maintain my tiny one bedroom place to reduce my environmental footprint. Where I can just lock the door and take off for months and not worry about a thing. A no-muss, no-fuss, kind of life. Uncomplecated and easy. Lazy Lindi style!

razz
1-3-11, 5:16pm
I am living it at the moment. Simple comfortable low-maintenance home with DH, lots of music and other arts for enjoyment. Wake up when we please, eat simple homemade foods, enjoy family and friends, knit, sew and garden for most needs. Walk the dog twice daily down out mostly quiet country roads, enjoy the wood fire in the fireplace each morning sipping a cup of tea as we plan our day. Mostly, living in the now.

Gregg
1-3-11, 5:58pm
For me independence and simplicity go hand in hand. Everything from growing our own food to producing our own power is, to me, simpler at a very local level. The elimination of debt is also a critical component of simplicity because of the ball and chain association with said debt. My own version of simplicity is less tied to a total reduction of "stuff". Getting rid of clutter is certainly good, but my home does include a fair number of non-essential items that I nonetheless enjoy. Future plans include less work and more time spent in meaningful activities that give me simple pleasure.

Brian
1-3-11, 6:08pm
I left SL Boards for some time as I felt what ever my life was, it had become not "Simple". I had downsized, from a multiple home annual circuit, to a boat and the guest apt at my house, leasing the rest, but in my quest to control my inputs, to be "free" of so many of the systems that tie us into the matrix... so to speak, my life became very unsimple. I own more tools and equipment than I ever did in my life, maintenance schedules have ruled my days. New laws mean a life aboard is not free when I have to call in, on hold for lengths of time to report moving 300 ft to fuel dock, then repeat the process upon return to slip, will stop at that, other than paperwork and arbitrary rules have taken the fun out for me. I have learned much and experienced months of exactly what I wanted. To live where I desired to, doing what I chose to, with whom I wanted, while living a comfortable life. It is the inevitable return to civilization for refit and restock that is my issue.

Plan "K" started this fall... more time at home island with my gardens and fruit trees, co-venture in a mountain retreat project, possible retreat in Chile or Argentina with associates, but the internal fight to not get back into owning RE and "stuff", to go backwards, is strong. Just because I am doing it different does not mean it works out different.
We shall see, I never thought a crafted life would be simple, just knew a boxed one off the shelf would never do for me.

fidgiegirl
1-3-11, 6:21pm
We shall see, I never thought a crafted life would be simple, just knew a boxed one off the shelf would never do for me.

LOVE this quote! That really spoke to me - "a boxed one off the shelf."

I have to think a little more about my answer to this question, though :)

Yppej
1-3-11, 6:25pm
For me it would be retirement, or finding a job close to home that I love with a passion.

JaneV2.0
1-3-11, 7:15pm
Peace and quiet. Freedom from as much responsibility and as many obligations as possible. I don't have any lofty goals; I just want a modest place to live, money in the bank, and the freedom and autonomy to enjoy them. I'm mostly there, except for the house. I need to trade down to make it all come together.

Gina
1-3-11, 8:00pm
I haven't read other replies yet because I don't want to be influenced. ;)

To me a simple life is the freedom to live the way I want no matter any one else's standards or expectations. To live the simple life I want requires financial independence, or close to it.

It doesn't necessarily mean spartan, though it does lean more towards less of everything. I want to live in a nice enough, orderly home, and have a view, but I dont need fancy clothes or a new car or the latest tech stuff. I don't even want a cell phone, though a digital camera and computer is nice. :~)

It means being able to have a few pretty, nice, quality things when desired. 'Used' is better but not always possible.

It means not being forced to do anything such as going all out for holidays in terms of decorating, gifts, visiting lots of people, etc. It means saying 'no' to things I dont want to do. It means avoiding people that are too negative.

It means having my time to myself to persue any eccentric activities I choose. Cheese making, various art projects, sports, making cuttings, travel -- whatever hits my fancy (and doesn't cost too much).

It means conserving resources, trip combining, closing doors and turning out lights, wearing several layers of clothing in the house, donating the extras, and recycling.

And perhaps the most important - being content with who I am, and what I have, imperfections and all. :)

peggy
1-3-11, 10:45pm
For us, the life we have now is our dream. We just need to pay it off! :0 (But we are working our plan to do that. FI in 2020!) My hubby loves his job, and plays music on the weekends while i diddle in art. Although I'd like a smaller home to maintain, our house is ALWAYS full, and I wouldn't have it any other way! Between friends and family, our house's seems are bursting with love and laughter and warmth. And thank goodness our friends and family still want to visit us :~)
I do want to simplify though. I'm working the landscaping to be very low maintenance, and plan to put in raised beds for vegetables (just can't do the whole bend-the-knee thing any more:() The fish ponds pretty much maintain themselves, although i can't convince anyone to take home the fish they catch! They just keep putting them back!
All in all, life is good. Our children step forward, we hold our breaths, and so far, no major tumbles.
But, I guess if I had to define the simple life for me, it would be seeing my kids live happy, successful lives. Really, I could take anything else life wanted to throw at me, but for this. Kind of corny, I know.

AmeliaJane
1-4-11, 12:00am
For me, simple living has always been about being able to afford to have the career I want (not great pay, lots of competition for jobs, but I love it) and take care of myself. When it comes to belongings, I'm not a minimalist, but I do like to be able to choose what I want, not what other people think I need or what the media tells me I should have. So...expensive high-speed Internet, but basic cable only. An iPhone, but a small, modest car. (And in another city, I was totally without a car.) I have definitely learned the advantages of being part of a group of like-minded people, whether that was in my first job where we swapped clothing, or trading babysitting for carpool services. Expensive haircuts, but my bathrobe is 15 years old. I don't mind putting resources into the things I care about but I don't want to go through life on autopilot just following the crowd...

Jilly
1-4-11, 12:12am
What I'm doing now.

Still living in the same, little house in which I began my married life. Still making most of what I can, soap, cleaners, clothes, presents, cooking, baking and all the rest. Gardening, preserving and just, plain doing my best at whatever is needed or takes my fancy.

I modify what I do and how I do it whenever my aging body makes the request. Soap making now is done indoors with a slow-cooker, instead of outside and in the bigger batches of my youth. Same for gardening. I think that raised beds are in my very near future, along with tools designed for ease and comfort of use. Finances might not allow for any of that, but it sure would be nice. I'm beginning to think that when it comes time that I need some new clothes, that I'll probably be buying them instead of making them. Volunteering has always been a part of my life, but now I'm using the entirety of my work experience to help those who are struggling with their own.

It varies according to what is needed, but my process is about living as close and comfortably with my geography as possible. Use what I need, but not any more. Give where I can, but not what I can't.

I never traveled, except for family matters, especially when my parents needed help, because my husband didn't like it. There are lots of things we didn't have or do because it wasn't to his liking. He kept promising me, year after year, that we'd travel when he retired. He did that, retired six years ago, but we're still here, not going anyplace. That's changing this year, because I'm going to use an inheritance to travel on the train and see as much of the country as I can, while I still can get around. I'm doing it alone because he won't go, doesn't see the point. So be it.

I think that the most important thing about having lived this long is that I've released my need and attachment to having opinions about what other people do or how they choose to live. Time has given me a much greater perspective about so many things. Sure, I still have opinions, we all do, but now I keep them to myself. I just can't get up the energy to worry about what someone else is doing and how they're doing it. Want a big house, fancy cars and shopping? Bless your heart. If others think that my ways are weird, well, bless them, too. The truth is that no one can force me to do anything I don't want to do, or not do, or have or expend a molecule of energy on. If I'm that busy fussing about what other people are doing with their lives, time and resources, then that probably means that I am not paying nearly enough time on my own business.

I read a book by Daniel Quinn, called Ishmael, probably thirty years ago. The lesson I took from it is that there's not only one way to live. It's served me well, even with all of my human lapses over the decades :), to take care of my own business and leave others to theirs.

Oh, and I love what Peggy shared about her kids. That's one of my most important things, too. That they're happy and successful and thrifty and careful with their resources is nice.

Din
1-4-11, 1:42am
Well, I'm definitely living my ideal of a simple life, retired for 5 years now, no maintenance condo, go to bed when I want, it's 1:30 am now :~), wake up when i want, and generally fill my day with whatever pleases me which may or may not include posting on these boards. ;)

Here's a song that fits the occasion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6iUM1jJcjU

herbgeek
1-4-11, 7:47am
Simple living, to me, is having "enough" and having the time and health to enjoy it. That's how I would describe my life now, although its not entirely voluntary (I'm unemployed). It's also about knowing what I have, and being able to access it when needed, and not having an excess of anything. This second part is a continual work in progress for me. Even though I don't buy as much as my peers, those purchases still seem to sneak in and require a regular organizing/purging effort. I also hoard ideas, and then don't act on them, so I'm working at being more organized about how I collect ideas.

If I had sufficient funds, I probably would not be looking for a job, but would add some significant volunteer work because I have too much energy and enthusiasm to just contain around the house. I also need a social outlet, as the vast majority of my friends are working conventional jobs.

Bootsie
1-4-11, 10:48am
For me, the simple life is sleeping well at night. I have enough money to pay my bills without worrying and enough education and amibition to change course if needed or desired. I sleep well when I feel accomplished in my day - doing things that matter to me and match my goals and values. I look to people I admire for examples of a successful life. Living in the moment and making memories help me sleep well at night.

Savannah
1-4-11, 12:14pm
We live a pretty simple life. I worked for 7 years after my DH retired, and then we moved across the state to be in the same town as our DS, DDIL and grandkids. Life is pretty quiet. Our two sons are both settled and into careers they like. We go to our grandkids sporting events; they seem to be into everything, and we go to high school games that our son coaches. We go the the library and the bookstore. We eat simply, dress very simply, and don't have too many bills. There's not a lot of "stuff" we want.

What's not simple about our lives is the fact that my DH has some serious health concerns. We both used to volunteer a lot, we've pretty much given that up. We live pretty quietly, reading, watching tv, I spend too much time on the computer, we go for walks with our little dog, or just walk around stores in the winter to keep him moving. Seems like he's always got an appointment for some health issue; that keeps us busy. Simple things take longer than they used to. We do the best we can.

When we worked, we never travelled except to see my parents. Now we drive to my mom's once a month for a week to help her out, and we visit our other DS and DDIL, and my brother when we can, about a 6 hour trip by car. We have been taking a week's vacation in the mountains, and lately have been trying to get to the ocean a few times a year (in the off-season) by my brother's house, to walk along the mostly-deserted beach every day. I so look forward to doing that!!!

One last thing I just thought of, moving from a home of 30 years forced a HUGE decluttering effort, something that I had actually started several years before the move when things were still in the planning stages. We have so much less STUFF now, and I can't tell you how much easier that's made everything. It's easy to clean the house. It's easy to get dressed. It's easy to cook. It's like I'm not dragging around a 900 ton weight anymore. It's really a wonderful feeling. Stuff keeps trying to creep back in, but I won't let it!

Din
1-4-11, 1:27pm
Hi Bootsie,

It sounds like sleeping well has been a challenge for you at times.

Spartana
1-4-11, 2:53pm
Great replies! It's funny that when I talk to people about simple living (and watching their eyes roll up in their heads and their faces turn to stone), most seem to equate it with living-off-the-land on a large spread of land where they are completely self sufficant and maybe off grid. I've always felt in encompassed all sorts of lifestyle that were alternatives to the traditional "Big Box" ,full-tilt run on the rat race treadmill, American Dream version. To me simple living can include things like full time RVing, living on a boat - maybe sailing around the world, being an ex pat in an inexpensive foreign country (my dream), being a full time grundgy world travelling backpacker (my other dream!), a full time house sitter or caretaker, living in a commune, artist colony, co-housing, being a ski bum or surf bum or climbing bum or Dharma bum, living in a religous community or being a cave dwelling Monk, etc... Lots of ways to live cheaply and easily that I persdonally would group into "simple living". Curious how many people here are living their simple living dream or working towards it no matter how un-mainstream like it seems to others.

Spartana
1-4-11, 3:03pm
my life became very unsimple. I own more tools and equipment than I ever did in my life, maintenance schedules have ruled my days. New laws mean a life aboard is not free when I have to call in, on hold for lengths of time to report moving 300 ft to fuel dock, then repeat the process upon return to slip

Brian, I did the live aboard thing for awhile too on a small sailboat and you are so right - can be VERY complicated and certainly a hassle and often ends up being much more expensive than renting a small apt elsewhere. I now prefer to live in a small but regular house or apt just for the ease of use and uncomplicated life.

dado potato
1-4-11, 3:42pm
I think of my own life as a progression through 4 stages: Preparation, Accumulation, Steady Station, Dissipation. At about age 50 I reached a crossover point where income from investments was sufficient to provide for my cost of living, with a little left over for gifts, so since then ( for the past 12 years) I have been in the Steady Station.

For me the simple life cultivates simple pleasures:
friendships (...brotherhood, in the sense that Paul Robeson sang about it ... see below...),
sensing nature as it changes in its infinite variety,
regular rhythmic exercise,
laughter, bodysex, soul connection,
a simple fresh diet,
sleeping and napping,
being close-but-not-too-close to grown children and grandkids,
undisguised aging,
being curious and learning something every day,
acceptance of Self and Others pretty much as Fred Rogers accepted children: "just the way you are".

Paul Robeson's singing of Beethoven's setting of Schiller's "Ode to Joy" can be heard at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3DYdSOzw0U

Build the road of peace before us,
Build it wide and deep and long.
Speed the slow and check the eager,
Help the weak and curb the strong.
None shall push aside another,
None shall let another fall.
March beside me, O my brothers!
All for One, and One for All

bae
1-4-11, 4:28pm
Let your community be small, with only a few people;
Keep tools in abundance, but do not depend upon them;
Appreciate your life and be content with your home;
Sail boats and ride horses, but don't go too far;
Keep weapons and armour, but do not employ them;
Let everyone read and write,
Eat well and make beautiful things.

Live peacefully and delight in your own society;
Dwell within ****-crow of your neighbours,
But maintain your independence from them.

Mighty Frugal
1-4-11, 7:52pm
It's funny, just hearing today about the death of Jerry Rafferty reminds me of his song 'Bakers Street'. I remember once, in my wild 20s, after a crazy night riding in the back of a car and quoting his song to my friends, I really felt it then, and still do now (even though I am no longer wild) That to me is 'the simple life'

'He's gonna give up the booze and the one night stands. And then he'll settle down, to a quiet little town and forget about everything' sigh....RIP

MamaM
9-4-11, 3:20pm
Easy and low maintenance in all aspects of my life, enjoying watching my son grow up, working (yes, I do like my job..for now), and living life everyday. I also enjoy a clean home that is comfortable and preparing for my dream of running a foster home for some dogs. : ) Fresh food, lots of physical activity, education in all forms and just laughing a lot. : ) I am also exploring minimalist living this year. : )

Stella
9-4-11, 6:53pm
I think the main SL elements of my life are:

-an emphasis on family, faith and community over money.
-frugality and an anti-debt attitude
-Flexibility with our time. Homeschooling so we can travel, me at home full-time and DH home a lot

Mrs-M
9-5-11, 4:23pm
Back to basics sums it up best for me. Just a simple, back to basics lifestyle, rich with simplicity, and topped with everything basic.