PDA

View Full Version : The Nuclear Option

LDAHL
4-3-17, 5:00pm
I see that the Democrats have the 41 votes in the Senate that give them the power to filibuster the Gorsuch nomination. I also see that the Republicans have the 51 votes needed to exercise the "Nuclear Option". CSPAN may become the network for drama.

I hope for all our sakes that somebody explains to the President what "nuclear option" means.

Ultralight
4-3-17, 5:06pm
I see that the Democrats have the 41 votes in the Senate that give them the power to filibuster the Gorsuch nomination. I also see that the Republicans have the 51 votes needed to exercise the "Nuclear Option". CSPAN may become the network for drama.

I hope for all our sakes that somebody explains to the President what "nuclear option" means. LOL

iris lilies
4-3-17, 5:16pm
Don't worry, Ivanka now has an office in the West Wing. She will hide the red button, I have faith in that girl.

jp1
4-3-17, 5:35pm
This red button?

http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s363/jpatter492/IMG_0339_zpsap8wc8ly.png

jp1
4-6-17, 1:10pm
And that was, in fact, easy. Get ready for the next democratic president to put a lesbian latina abortion doctor on the sipreme court in a 52/48 party line vote. No president will ever again strive to pick a centrist like merreick garland in the hopes of getting bipartisan support.

LDAHL
4-6-17, 2:29pm
Is that necessarily a bad thing? It could be that the Court would be better served by a wider assortment of diverse perspectives.

flowerseverywhere
4-6-17, 9:30pm
I don't for a minute believe the democrats would not have done to same thing in the same position. they need to go back to fistfights in the senate.

ToomuchStuff
4-7-17, 2:16am
I don't for a minute believe the democrats would not have done to same thing in the same position. they need to go back to fistfights in the senate.

A CSPAN, pay per view event....
Ultimate congressional cage match, bust a brawl weekend. The Filibuster from down under (the dome).>8)

iris lilies
4-7-17, 9:30am
Our Republican Senator spoke at length to justify it, saying essentially a vote for Supreme Court Justice now works the same way it used to several years ago. It is impossible for me to know how much of a spin this is and how much it is commn sense, but he spoke convincingly, for what it is worth.

Teacher Terry
4-7-17, 1:01pm
I am really sick of both parties at this point. In the old days both parties would compromise and work together on things that were important.

bae
4-7-17, 1:11pm
Where is this "60% rule" to be found in the Constitution?

What has the Court said about the ability of the Senate to make and alter its working parliamentary procedures?

Alan
4-7-17, 1:28pm

Ratification of a treaty, override of a veto, votes of impeachment, passage of a Constitutional amendment, and expulsion of a member. All else is up to the Senate's own rules, which have varied over time.

What has the Court said about the ability of the Senate to make and alter its working parliamentary procedures?
I don't know, but if you're talking about the Supreme Court, and we take it as a given that it's rulings are non-political, I think they'd say that outside the 5 instances mentioned above, the Senate may conduct themselves in any manner a majority of their representatives approve.

jp1
4-7-17, 4:28pm

I hunk it's next to the part that says presidents don't have the right to appoint a Supreme Court justice when they only have eleven months left in their term.