PDA

View Full Version : I have never had a passport

Zoe Girl
4-29-17, 9:30am
and for some reason I want to get one. I don't know where I might go, but it is possible I could travel some day. Hmmm, seems like a pretty simple process. I am sure everyone else has a passport and I am the only one without one.

See what happens when you wake up early on a Saturday

Yppej
4-29-17, 12:37pm
Mine expired 25 years ago. So no you are not the only one without.

nswef
4-29-17, 12:40pm
We got one many years ago for a trip overseas, then renewed it for Canadian travel. Might still go to Ireland. It's only been used 3 times.

iris lilies
4-29-17, 1:10pm
It makes me anxious to think about not having a passport. This year I renewed mine about 3 months before I would have had to, ut I didnt want there to be any screwups. My distrust of gubmnt bureaucracy is pretty high.

IshbelRobertson
4-29-17, 1:57pm
I travel abroad quite a few times a year and I have had my own passport since I was a teenager, before that I was on my parents' passports. My children travelled as unaccompanied minors to various European countries since they were about 10.

I don't know anyone in my social circle who doesn't have a passport!

rosarugosa
4-29-17, 2:29pm
I've never had one either, ZG, and neither has my husband. We pretty much don't leave New England, let alone the US.

frugal-one
4-29-17, 3:10pm
I have had a passport since a child. We have travelled extensively even with our child when he was younger. It totally changes your perception of the world. I believe the passports now (since Jan, I believe) are smaller. So, if you go to many places and there are not enough pages you have to pay more.

razz
4-29-17, 5:37pm
Have had a passport for years and will continue to do so to give me the freedom to move around as I wish especially since one now needs a passport to visit the US.

creaker
4-29-17, 6:39pm
It's much cheaper doing it ahead of time than expediting it.

bae
4-29-17, 7:39pm
Also of note: renew them *well* ahead of time, some countries won't let you in if you are going to expire within the next few months.

mschrisgo2
4-30-17, 12:39am
I've never had a passport, either. We did quite a bit if traveling around the US in the motorhome- I've been to 44 states- and all across Canada and well into Mexico, in the late 1980s and early 1990s, when you could do that without a passport.

Thinking of cruising to Alaska after I retire next yesr- Yikes!- do I need passport?

ToomuchStuff
4-30-17, 1:01am
I am sure everyone else has a passport and I am the only one without one.

You sound like Bunny's with her smart phone comment so many years ago. So everyone else has one, then prove it!>8)

IshbelRobertson
4-30-17, 5:50am
Yes, in the UK we are reminded to ensure we have at least six months left on our passports before travelling anywhere! I've seen aggressive passengers screaming at airline check-in staff who keep trying to explain that is not airline policy, but the destination country's decree!

Gardnr
4-30-17, 8:22am
I had one....it expired in 1984. I had to get a new one this year because I had promised older sister I would go on her retirement trip. She selected a cruise to Alaska. Because it departs from Vancouver BC and we will be there a few hours....required a passport. sigh........never expected her to choose something so spendy. Her retirement fund is 25% of what mine is and I would NEVER choose something so expensive.

Lesson: never make a promise until you have all the details..........

Zoe Girl
4-30-17, 8:33am
I think Europe you would need one for sure, all the countries being closer together.

My last assistant had been all over the world, and was surprised that I had gone nowhere. Then a friend from meditation group is in Sweden right now, another friend just went to France. Has my wanderlust up, even if it is not in the budget to actually travel right now.

Float On
4-30-17, 9:28am
I've never had one. When I went to Canada or Mexico you could still just use birth certificate. No out of country plans for the next few years so no need to get one...there are still places in the states I haven't made it to yet.

Alan
4-30-17, 9:46am
We allowed ours to expire without renewing several years ago. We travelled abroad quite a bit in the 90's and early 2000's, although these days were concentrating on domestic travel in the motorhome. We'll probably apply for new ones later this year just so we can scoot on over into Canada while we're near the northern border.

rosarugosa
4-30-17, 10:01am
Her retirement fund is 25% of what mine is and I would NEVER choose something so expensive.

I think there's a causal relationship there!

Teacher Terry
4-30-17, 11:37am
You will not be sorry you went on the Alaskan cruise. It is one of the most beautiful places I have been and well worth the $. WE have had passports since 2002 when we first went to Europe.

bae
4-30-17, 12:57pm
You will not be sorry you went on the Alaskan cruise. It is one of the most beautiful places I have been and well worth the $. WE have had passports since 2002 when we first went to Europe.

The ferry from Bellingham WA to Alaska travels the same route more-or-less, and is cheap. Accommodations aren't as fancy, but it's a great option.

http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/img/where/comm_system.jpg

Tybee
4-30-17, 1:03pm
The ferry from Bellingham WA to Alaska travels the same route more-or-less, and is cheap. Accommodations aren't as fancy, but it's a great option.

http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/img/where/comm_system.jpg

Cool! I will look into this, as that is a trip I would like to make with my family someday.

goldensmom
4-30-17, 2:33pm
Your post is a reminder to check the expiration date on my passport which I last used 19 years ago but I keep renewed because I think is it cool. I should have said 'kept' as I just checked and see it expired two years ago. I will renew it even though I have no plans to use it in the near future but just having a passport connects me somehow to my youthful travel days.

jp1
5-1-17, 10:00pm
My first passport saw a lot of action, and I have many happy and interesting memories from those trips. The current one, not so much. But when it expires in 3 years I will undoubtedly renew it. Partly because it's easier to renew a passport than it is to get a new one. And partly because I want to be able to leave on short notice either because I want to or because I think I need to.

Sad Eyed Lady
5-15-17, 9:44pm
I am among the few who have said "never had one". I have been in Canada a few times when a passport was not required, but have not made any other out of the country trips. I have thought I should get one, but so far I have done nothing about it.