PDA

View Full Version : Ballpark shooting

dmc
6-16-17, 6:33am
It's interesting that there is no mention of the shooting. Is this just the next move of the resistance?

I have a concealed carry permit, but I never carried. I kept a gun in the car, but that is now changing. I did buy a carry gun just in case I wanted to, but now I'm wondering if I should chose one with more capacity. I have a PPS that is 7+1 with an extra 6 round mag. But I'm thinking my hi power or sig with 15+1 might be a better choice now.

I go to the range regularly, but I'll now carry when I'm out.

Ultralight
6-16-17, 6:41am
It's interesting that there is no mention of the shooting. Is this just the next move of the resistance?
Uh... what are you talking about?

Chicken lady
6-16-17, 6:57am
The gun control side fired on the "enemy" fortunately he didn't have very good gun control and no one else was killed.

dmc
6-16-17, 7:11am
He had a SKS, maybe the Russians are involved.

dmc
6-16-17, 7:15am
The gun control side fired on the "enemy" fortunately he didn't have very good gun control and no one else was killed.

And thankfully the capital police bravely took him on with only their pistols.

Ultralight
6-16-17, 7:29am
Perhaps civil society is breaking down... very slowly, very incrementally.

Either way, my motto for a while has just been: "Brace for impact."

I see things steadily getting worse.

Alan
6-16-17, 7:50am
It's interesting that there is no mention of the shooting.
I thought it was interesting too and have wondered for the past two days when someone would start a thread about it.
But, I guess you have to know your audience. A Bernie supporter intentionally went after a group of Republican Congressmen. No surprise there, and probably justified since we all know that Republicans want poor people to die, women and minorities to be subjugated and the LGBT communities to be vilified.

The entire event was just a poor soul trying to protect himself from evil oppressors. Damned Republicans!

Ultralight
6-16-17, 7:56am
I thought it was interesting too and have wondered for the past two days when someone would start a thread about it.
But, I guess you have to know your audience. A Bernie supporter intentionally went after a group of Republican Congressmen. No surprise there, and probably justified since we all know that Republicans want poor people to die, women and minorities to be subjugated and the LGBT communities to be vilified.

The entire event was just a poor soul trying to protect himself from evil oppressors. Damned Republicans!

I think you are doing what you are accusing the left of doing when you say things like: "A Bernie supporter intentionally went after a group of Republican Congressmen. No surprise there..."

Uh, actually it is rather surprising.

Imagine if I said this about the Portland Train Attack: "Right winger harasses young women of color then stabs and kills a few people. No surprise there..."

I am surprised when these horrible acts of violence happen. But I am becoming less and less surprised by them because it seems like they happen more and more often. And that is multilayered tragedy...

Alan
6-16-17, 8:07am
I think you are doing what you are accusing the left of doing when you say things like: "A Bernie supporter intentionally went after a group of Republican Congressmen. No surprise there..."

Uh, actually it is rather surprising.

Imagine if I said this about the Portland Train Attack: "Right winger harasses young women of color then stabs and kills a few people. No surprise there..."

I am surprised when these horrible acts of violence happen. But I am becoming less and less surprised by them because it seems like they happen more and more often. And that is multilayered tragedy...

Just repeating popular, yet mis-guided, opinions in a tongue-in-cheek way. Look back over virtually any thread in this forum and you'll see examples of each sentiment stated. Multiply that by all the internet discussion forums, social media and progressive leaning media and it's no wonder that an un-balanced person finally snaps.

CathyA
6-16-17, 8:08am
I think most people here really try to avoid talking about the gun problem we have in this country. Like Congress, there seems to be no middle ground. I think some here are more open to compromise than others.

I watched an interview of a man (forget who exactly) who was on the ball field playing when the shooting occurred. He went on and on about how they (in Congress) have to be more open to each other, and into compromise. The interviewer said something like "How can we deal with situations like this?".......and he responded "Well, I know my colleague so-and-so and I have decided to carry a gun with us here."

It might be a natural reaction to escalate the defense by arming one's self.......but surely there are alternative ways of dealing with things, other than everyone walking around armed and read to shoot at a moment's notice.

We, in this country, keep talking, talking, talking and don't fix anything. We have a horrible gun problem in this country, but nobody wants to give up their guns. Yes, most of you here who own guns are responsible gun owners.......but there must be some compromise where we can deal with this issue without gun owners freaking out when talking about somehow limiting the guns out there. Seems like our "rights" are keeping us unsafe.
It's very disconcerting to me that we can't deal with the violence issue in this country.

Alan
6-16-17, 8:15am
It's very disconcerting to me that we can't deal with the violence issue in this country.That's because we keep diverting the issue to 'gun control' as if that is the answer to the problem. It's not.
Just look at Europe where they have very effective gun control, the violence simply takes another form.

CathyA
6-16-17, 8:25am
I'm convinced that it's all our freedoms and rights that are coming back to bite us. When everyone has so many rights/freedoms, it becomes nearly impossible to clean up messes. Sometimes you have to get unfair/inequitable/less "humane" in order to clean up society. But in "civilized" societies, some of these ideas are considered outrageous and "unfair". It's quite a dilemma. We're even fair to monsters........who, many times, are eventually let out in society to cause problems again. There MUST be a way to make things better for good people.

Ultralight
6-16-17, 8:25am
We have a massive gun problem in this country. But I don't think laws are going to fix the problem.

The problem is in us. We need to change ourselves, the way we think, our culture.

LDAHL
6-16-17, 8:28am
I think most people here really try to avoid talking about the gun problem we have in this country. Like Congress, there seems to be no middle ground. I think some here are more open to compromise than others.

I watched an interview of a man (forget who exactly) who was on the ball field playing when the shooting occurred. He went on and on about how they (in Congress) have to be more open to each other, and into compromise. The interviewer said something like "How can we deal with situations like this?".......and he responded "Well, I know my colleague so-and-so and I have decided to carry a gun with us here."

It might be a natural reaction to escalate the defense by arming one's self.......but surely there are alternative ways of dealing with things, other than everyone walking around armed and read to shoot at a moment's notice.

We, in this country, keep talking, talking, talking and don't fix anything. We have a horrible gun problem in this country, but nobody wants to give up their guns. Yes, most of you here who own guns are responsible gun owners.......but there must be some compromise where we can deal with this issue without gun owners freaking out when talking about somehow limiting the guns out there. Seems like our "rights" are keeping us unsafe.
It's very disconcerting to me that we can't deal with the violence issue in this country.

Perhaps too many of us still believe that the best response to an abuse of liberty is not to restrict liberty.

CathyA
6-16-17, 8:33am
Perhaps too many of us still believe that the best response to an abuse of liberty is not to restrict liberty.

Well..........we're seeing how that works.

LDAHL
6-16-17, 8:38am

I see some hopeful signs coming from this incident.

For instance, the New York Times retracted that vile editorial claiming there was a more direct line between overheated political rhetoric and the Gabby Giffords shooting than for this case. That was too much even for many on the left to stomach. If the NYT is still capable of shame, at least in extreme circumstances, surely there is a future for the republic.

Zoe Girl
6-16-17, 8:41am
We have a massive gun problem in this country. But I don't think laws are going to fix the problem.

The problem is in us. We need to change ourselves, the way we think, our culture.

Just start by removing the ban against research on gun violence!! Most people still don't know that we cannot get good research on this. So no wonder if is left up to the extreme of both sides.
:idea:

LDAHL
6-16-17, 8:49am
I'm convinced that it's all our freedoms and rights that are coming back to bite us. When everyone has so many rights/freedoms, it becomes nearly impossible to clean up messes. Sometimes you have to get unfair/inequitable/less "humane" in order to clean up society.

That is the logic of tyranny.

There will always be some freedom "we can no longer afford". I'm reluctant to believe surrendering freedom to authoritarian government power is the best path to safety. Ultralight has the right of it: this is ultimately more a cultural than a policy issue.

Williamsmith
6-16-17, 8:52am

There are plenty of utopian examples where liberty is restricted in order to preserve the peace. North Korea comes to mind. Cuba is really a shining example. Great places to live. You don't hear much about freedoms and rights coming back to bite their populations.

Back in 1970, The Guess Who released a popular album with a catchy little song called "Share the Land". I suspect this is the kind of place you are thinking about. I also dream about a chocolate chip cookie that doesn't make me fat but neither of these exist.

Maybe I'll be there to shake your hand (Shake your hand)Maybe I'll be there to share the land (Share the land)That they'll be givin' awayWhen we all live together, together, together(Shake your hand, share the land)You know I'll be standing by to help you if you worry(Shake your hand, share the land)Now more sadness, no more sorrow, and no more bad times(Shake your hand, share the land)Everyday comin' sunshine, everyday everybody laughin'(Shake your hand, share the land)Walkin' together by the river, walkin' together and laughin'(Shake your hand, share the land)Everybody singin' together, everybody singin' and laughin'(Shake your hand, share the land)Good times, good times, everybody walkin' by the river now(Shake your hand, share the land)Walkin', singin' and talkin', smilin', laughin', diggin' each other(Shake your hand, share the land)Everybody happy together, I'll be there to worry you if you need-a me(Shake your hand, share the land)Call on me, call on me, call my name, I'll be runnin' to help you(Shake your hand, share the land)Everybody walkin' by the river now, everyday everybody laughin'(Shake your hand, share the land)Everybody singin' and talkin', smilin', laughin', diggin' each other

CathyA
6-16-17, 9:03am
But its not an all-or-none situation.

I know some of you think that if one freedom/right is "adjusted", then the next step is tyranny. I think we can work in small steps...........like getting rid of cancers in our penal system. (ooops......"correctional system".)

Many states don't have the death penalty. If you have undeniable DNA evidence that someone has committed a horrendous crime, why not remove that person from this universe? We can't even do that. Some cry "Oh........but that's inhumane!"

So, it's humane when we have to spend so much money to keep them in prisons, feed them, keep them healthy.....while they become part of the worst elements in the prisons and form gangs, etc.? We can't even make small moves to make this society better/safer. All our moves are "fair" bandaids. We have shootings every night in the city near here. A new sheriff and new mayor vowed to keep the violence down.......but nothing changes. Make criminals know that if they want to do a crime......they may lose their lives. I know there are so many complex issues that have brought us to this point. I'm thinking maybe we're at the point of no return. I just don't know. But don't we have to start somewhere? Don't we have to start getting tough somewhere?

CathyA
6-16-17, 9:05am
There are plenty of utopian examples where liberty is restricted in order to preserve the peace. North Korea comes to mind. Cuba is really a shining example. Great places to live. You don't hear much about freedoms and rights coming back to bite their populations.

Back in 1970, The Guess Who released a popular album with a catchy little song called "Share the Land". I suspect this is the kind of place you are thinking about. I also dream about a chocolate chip cookie that doesn't make me fat but neither of these exist.

Maybe I'll be there to shake your hand (Shake your hand)Maybe I'll be there to share the land (Share the land)That they'll be givin' awayWhen we all live together, together, together(Shake your hand, share the land)You know I'll be standing by to help you if you worry(Shake your hand, share the land)Now more sadness, no more sorrow, and no more bad times(Shake your hand, share the land)Everyday comin' sunshine, everyday everybody laughin'(Shake your hand, share the land)Walkin' together by the river, walkin' together and laughin'(Shake your hand, share the land)Everybody singin' together, everybody singin' and laughin'(Shake your hand, share the land)Good times, good times, everybody walkin' by the river now(Shake your hand, share the land)Walkin', singin' and talkin', smilin', laughin', diggin' each other(Shake your hand, share the land)Everybody happy together, I'll be there to worry you if you need-a me(Shake your hand, share the land)Call on me, call on me, call my name, I'll be runnin' to help you(Shake your hand, share the land)Everybody walkin' by the river now, everyday everybody laughin'(Shake your hand, share the land)Everybody singin' and talkin', smilin', laughin', diggin' each other

I'm not talking about utopia WilliamSmith. I'm talking about less violence on a second to second basis in this country. If other countries can do it, why the hell can't we??

iris lilies
6-16-17, 9:10am
I see some hopeful signs coming from this incident.

For instance, the New York Times retracted that vile editorial claiming there was a more direct line between overheated political rhetoric and the Gabby Giffords shooting than for this case. That was too much even for many on the left to stomach. If the NYT is still capable of shame, at least in extreme circumstances, surely there is a future for the republic.

I was just going to post about that. Can Sarah Palin still sue for that editorial, the stupid version I mean, not the "corrected" version? I like that the NYT editorial writers trot out that old crosshairs story to see if it flies wihout challange. She should sue, that is one lawsuite I would contribute to.

When dmc asks why no one posted yet about this shooting, its because the political shoe is on the other foot. In this old thread, the usual suspects toss around blather that castigates Palin ala NYT. Peas and pods.

http://www.simplelivingforum.net/showthread.php?243-Gabby-Giffords-has-just-been-shot-in-the-head&highlight=Gabby+giffords

LDAHL
6-16-17, 9:16am

I know some of you think that if one freedom/right is "adjusted", then the next step is tyranny. I think we can work in small steps...........

Like the "adjustments" we made regarding booze, drugs, fugitive slaves?

LDAHL
6-16-17, 9:29am
I was just gong to post abput that. Can Sarah Palin still sue for that editorial, the stupid version I mean, not the "corrected" version? I like that the NYT editorial writers trot out that old crosshairs story to see if it flies wihout challange. She should sue, that is one lawsuite I would contribute to.

When dmc asks why no one posted yet about this shooting, its because the political shoe is on the other foot. In this old thread, the usual suspects toss around blather that castigates Palin along ala NYT. Peas and pods.

http://www.simplelivingforum.net/showthread.php?243-Gabby-Giffords-has-just-been-shot-in-the-head&highlight=Gabby+giffords

If you can't blame Fox News, what's the point?

catherine
6-16-17, 9:34am
I was also waiting for a thread on the shooting.. hmm. Maybe we're experiencing "shooter fatigue." There's just been so much violence out there lately, we're going to have to break out Public Policy and have a sub-forum called "Tragedy of the Day."

iris lilies
6-16-17, 9:38am
If you can't blame Fox News, what's the point?
Ha ha ha!

CathyA
6-16-17, 10:32am
I was also waiting for a thread on the shooting.. hmm. Maybe we're experiencing "shooter fatigue." There's just been so much violence out there lately, we're going to have to break out Public Policy and have a sub-forum called "Tragedy of the Day."

catherine.......I've noticed that for a long time. And I'm convinced it's because the conservatives on this forum come down hard on the liberals.........and liberals, being less aggressive, don't like that and scatter/give up. I mean seriously.......who can possibly win an argument with a conservative regarding gun laws?

Alan
6-16-17, 10:51am
.........and liberals, being less aggressive........
Ha, Ha....Now that's funny. :laff:

jp1
6-16-17, 12:05pm
I guess I didn't start a thread on this because there's not much unique about this one compared to all the others except that the dude that got shot is a virulently anti-gay racist and the cop that shot his attempted killer was a black lesbian. Otherwise it was just a guy following Andrew Napolitano's advice about using the second amendment.

gimmethesimplelife
6-16-17, 12:11pm

The entire event was just a poor soul trying to protect himself from evil oppressors. Damned Republicans!I debated starting a post about it, Alan, as I found the sitch very much a cause for alarm. Just because someone is a Republican does not mean they should be shot as far as I am concerned......there is no excuse for what took place in Arlington. The only reason I did not start a thread is that everyone here knows that I am a liberal anyway and by now it's pretty much predictable what my take on many issues is going to be. I just hope there are not going to be a string of copycat acts now. Rob

gimmethesimplelife
6-16-17, 12:15pm
catherine.......I've noticed that for a long time. And I'm convinced it's because the conservatives on this forum come down hard on the liberals.........and liberals, being less aggressive, don't like that and scatter/give up. I mean seriously.......who can possibly win an argument with a conservative regarding gun laws?I can. It's a miracle today that my mother is alive - as my father once was drunk and had a gun in his hands and threatened to blow her away. He didn't, thankfully, but flashing back on that image gives me all kinds of emotional strength to keep on fighting in the face of just can't get it. Rob

gimmethesimplelife
6-16-17, 12:17pm
Ha, Ha....Now that's funny. :laff:I don't agree. I personally am less aggressive than some of the conservatives here......Rob

LDAHL
6-16-17, 12:48pm
While I doubt there is any meaningful way to resolve the question of who is the most aggressive, at least rhetorically speaking, I will say this on the subject of real violence:

I'm no big fan of firearms. But I'm a big fan of the Bill of Rights. I can't think of any control or prohibition that would work any better than what has been tried in the past for other destructive or bad things. If something must be done, it probably must be done in the cultural rather than the political sphere if there is to be any hope of real change. And that may in fact actually be happening. My understanding was that Americans are shooting one another less frequently than in prior generations.

But given the number of weapons in circulation, it's hard to believe that any measures draconian enough to have any real impact wouldn't be more harmful than helpful. In the long run, I doubt it's possible to purchase safety by curtailing liberty.

Rogar
6-16-17, 12:50pm
I am a former member of the NRA, have shot rifles in competition, and have passed a state hunter safety program. I don't own a pistol. It would be an interesting statistic to determine the odds of actually using a concealed or open carry in a situation of armed violence against citizens or one's self. I am guessing it would be close to the odds of getting struck by lightening. The other statistic would be how many of these people have the training and intelligence to use a defense firearm responsibly. And how many suffer an accidental discharge resulting in bodily harm.

Teacher Terry
6-16-17, 1:10pm
I am a liberal that is not a fan of gun control. I agree it is cultural. If nuts did not have guns they would use another method like stabbing. Probably harder to inflict as many injuries though.

Alan
6-16-17, 1:17pm
I am a liberal that is not a fan of gun control. I agree it is cultural. If nuts did not have guns they would use another method like stabbing. Probably harder to inflict as many injuries though.That's why the new hot and sexy is home-made bombs and plowing into crowds with vehicles.

LDAHL
6-16-17, 4:32pm
That's why the new hot and sexy is home-made bombs and plowing into crowds with vehicles.

Hate will find a way.

Ultralight
6-16-17, 5:28pm
In light of these types of events, I think it is important to be careful about the conclusions we draw about people, certain demographics in particular.

When the Portland Train Attack happened many -- especially SJWs -- shouted about how straight white men are the problem and how "white hate" is on the rise.

But what these SJWs failed to notice was that two white men stood up for the girls who were being harassed by a white supremacist and gave their lives in defense of these girls.

Perhaps this should be a sign that straight white men are actively taking part in the multi-ethnic enterprise of abolishing white supremacy from US culture.

So because one deranged nutjob who happened to be a lefty committed a horrible act does not mean that we should draw broad-sweeping conclusions about demographics this crazy (or evil) man was a part of.

ApatheticNoMore
6-16-17, 6:13pm
since people who engage in these type of things have all kind of ideologies (or most often and overwhelmingly none, aren't mass shootings usually non-political? But even if we limit it to politically motivated acts it spans a spectrum), speculating that it is *caused* by ideology is a dead end and would be so barring some overwhelming trend.

But really I don't think anyone arguing that actually believes it either, it's just used to score political points.

ToomuchStuff
6-17-17, 2:57am

I have a concealed carry permit, but I never carried. I kept a gun in the car, but that is now changing. I did buy a carry gun just in case I wanted to, but now I'm wondering if I should chose one with more capacity. I have a PPS that is 7+1 with an extra 6 round mag. But I'm thinking my hi power or sig with 15+1 might be a better choice now.

I go to the range regularly, but I'll now carry when I'm out. I misread this at first, and was thinking Hi point, which is less then 10 rounds and I know was just on sale for $99.
That said, after talking with several LEO officers I have known, from different agencies, several of them have multiple carry guns, depending on how they have to dress (compromise of conceal-ability, verses capacity). But more LEO I know are carrying off duty, due to the targets on their backs from all the anti cop movements. We have locally had several officers quit after a friend/LEO was shot in the head recently, and is still recovering.
I am also seeing an upturn in AR pistols, which a California story called an "assault pistol" (wouldn't that be any pistol used in an assault?).
Repeat of a video in other discussions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCSySuemiHU

George Carlin, circling the drain?

Another option would be more police, but police aren't politically correct right now. A LEO I know just went through their annual training/qualification updates and word came from high above, since they entered before Tasers were used (even though they have been given all the updates), they had to take the "introductory" class on them. The old timers were separated from the new recruits, because they are pushing (for political correctness), for the officers to "put down their gun after shooting someone when a group is charging them, and switch to a taser, and hope the others will stop".
And the big problem is always the illegal (stolen) guns, and stupid people (who can legally own guns).
Our state law was changed because of an incident that involved a childhood friend, of diminished capacity (the word at the time was Retarded). He got a job as an armed security guard and I will leave it at that.

That's because we keep diverting the issue to 'gun control' as if that is the answer to the problem. It's not.
Just look at Europe where they have very effective gun control, the violence simply takes another form.

Individuals are the only ones that can change themselves. We already live in a multicultural society, so the culture aspect, won't work (not just one, and then you have other infringement issues).

I know some of you think that if one freedom/right is "adjusted", then the next step is tyranny. I think we can work in small steps...........like getting rid of cancers in our penal system. (ooops......"correctional system".)

Many states don't have the death penalty. If you have undeniable DNA evidence that someone has committed a horrendous crime, why not remove that person from this universe? We can't even do that. Some cry "Oh........but that's inhumane!"

So, it's humane when we have to spend so much money to keep them in prisons, feed them, keep them healthy.....while they become part of the worst elements in the prisons and form gangs, etc.? We can't even make small moves to make this society better/safer. All our moves are "fair" bandaids. We have shootings every night in the city near here. A new sheriff and new mayor vowed to keep the violence down.......but nothing changes. Make criminals know that if they want to do a crime......they may lose their lives. I know there are so many complex issues that have brought us to this point. I'm thinking maybe we're at the point of no return. I just don't know. But don't we have to start somewhere? Don't we have to start getting tough somewhere?

Abortion and capital punishment, and from above, you I would guess support the castle doctrine. These are all life/liberty/rights verses dollar values (castle doctrine, allows one to defend oneself and their property, and if the perp dies, can save the taxpayer money in trials and imprisonment)

catherine.......I've noticed that for a long time. And I'm convinced it's because the conservatives on this forum come down hard on the liberals.........and liberals, being less aggressive, don't like that and scatter/give up. I mean seriously.......who can possibly win an argument with a conservative regarding gun laws?

Ha, Ha....Now that's funny. :laff:

I don't agree. I personally am less aggressive than some of the conservatives here......Rob
When I joined, this forum was more liberal. But as everything, there is eb and flow as people have life happen to them. Liberals would swing the ban hammer, more then I have seen the conservative forum owner here, do. They also seemed to have no issue, violating the rules and saying they were above that (Redfox and the famous ignorant comment). Has Alan banned anyone other then Packy and spammers?
But think about the context in congress.

While I doubt there is any meaningful way to resolve the question of who is the most aggressive, at least rhetorically speaking, I will say this on the subject of real violence:

I'm no big fan of firearms. But I'm a big fan of the Bill of Rights. I can't think of any control or prohibition that would work any better than what has been tried in the past for other destructive or bad things. If something must be done, it probably must be done in the cultural rather than the political sphere if there is to be any hope of real change. And that may in fact actually be happening. My understanding was that Americans are shooting one another less frequently than in prior generations.

But given the number of weapons in circulation, it's hard to believe that any measures draconian enough to have any real impact wouldn't be more harmful than helpful. In the long run, I doubt it's possible to purchase safety by curtailing liberty.

I am a liberal that is not a fan of gun control. I agree it is cultural. If nuts did not have guns they would use another method like stabbing. Probably harder to inflict as many injuries though.
Not really, explosives are so much easier to make/obtain.
Boston Marathon, a local bombing that killed a neighbor years ago, when someone started a demolition trailer on fire, Anarchist Cookbook, Old military surplus training manuals, etc. etc. etc.
A gun is a more directed targeting.

LDAHL
6-17-17, 11:38am
In light of these types of events, I think it is important to be careful about the conclusions we draw about people, certain demographics in particular.

When the Portland Train Attack happened many -- especially SJWs -- shouted about how straight white men are the problem and how "white hate" is on the rise.

But what these SJWs failed to notice was that two white men stood up for the girls who were being harassed by a white supremacist and gave their lives in defense of these girls.

Perhaps this should be a sign that straight white men are actively taking part in the multi-ethnic enterprise of abolishing white supremacy from US culture.

So because one deranged nutjob who happened to be a lefty committed a horrible act does not mean that we should draw broad-sweeping conclusions about demographics this crazy (or evil) man was a part of.

You make an important point here. I think one difference between the "divisiveness" of today and the more (I think) serious and literate divisions of the sixties may be the intervening half century of cultural infantilization. One of the consequences of that is a sort of triumph of superficiality, relying on various cut-and-paste ideas and stereotypes that don't allow much granularity between individuals and situations. We seem to have limited our social and political vocabulary to a few simple symbols, acronyms and plotlines. Even zip codes.

This leads to comical confusion. You can refer to yourself as "antifa" while putting on a black shirt and attacking people whose ideas you dislike with apparently no idea of the historical association with the Blackshirts of the past. Any violent incident is automatically forced to fit a pre-existing narrative framework. We have simplified our thinking to the point where even the existence of certain ideas or attitudes make some of us feel "unsafe". Get a formulaic phrase wrong, and you are beyond the pale.

At the apex of the great pyramid of cartoon thinking is the white "cis" male. The source of all villainy and the architect of all oppression. Many are unequipped to think beyond that. Even white skittles must answer for their crimes.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/448721/white-skittles-racism-pride-month-lgbt-twitter-backlash

In my view, the most effective opponent of the Trump Administration is a white man. His name is James Madison.

CathyA
6-17-17, 11:52am
You make an important point here. I think one difference between the "divisiveness" of today and the more (I think) serious and literate divisions of the sixties may be the intervening half century of cultural infantilization. One of the consequences of that is a sort of triumph of superficiality, relying on various cut-and-paste ideas and stereotypes that don't allow much granularity between individuals and situations. We seem to have limited our social and political vocabulary to a few simple symbols, acronyms and plotlines. Even zip codes.

This leads to comical confusion. You can refer to yourself as "antifa" while putting on a black shirt and attacking people whose ideas you dislike with apparently no idea of the historical association with the Blackshirts of the past. Any violent incident is automatically forced to fit a pre-existing narrative framework. We have simplified our thinking to the point where even the existence of certain ideas or attitudes make some of us feel "unsafe". Get a formulaic phrase wrong, and you are beyond the pale.

At the apex of the great pyramid of cartoon thinking is the white "cis" male. The source of all villainy and the architect of all oppression. Many are unequipped to think beyond that. Even white skittles must answer for their crimes.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/448721/white-skittles-racism-pride-month-lgbt-twitter-backlash

In my view, the most effective opponent of the Trump Administration is a white man. His name is James Madison.

Huh??

JaneV2.0
6-17-17, 12:08pm
Irony after my own heart:

"So let's get this straight. A rabidly anti-gay congressman who recently voted to let mentally ill people have access to guns and who wants to repeal the affordable care act had his life saved by a lesbian when he was shot by a mentally ill person and is currently under hospital care that is being paid for by government-funded health insurance. Sorry, there is way too much irony here to interrupt it with punctuation."--Andy Nicastro

razz
6-17-17, 12:33pm
Irony after my own heart:

"So let's get this straight. A rabidly anti-gay congressman who recently voted to let mentally ill people have access to guns and who wants to repeal the affordable care act had his life saved by a lesbian when he was shot by a mentally ill person and is currently under hospital care that is being paid for by government-funded health insurance. Sorry, there is way too much irony here to interrupt it with punctuation."--Andy Nicastro
That is priceless!!!! Thanks for posting it.

LDAHL
6-17-17, 1:00pm
Huh??

Checks and balances. Those things progressives are always complaining keep them from getting things done. I would submit that his foresight to act on the principle that "ambition must be made to check ambition" will do more to prevent Mr. Trump's abuses than all the pink hats and SNL sketches in the world.

CathyA
6-17-17, 4:26pm
Oh, okay.

Lainey
6-17-17, 7:11pm
That is priceless!!!! Thanks for posting it.

+1

ApatheticNoMore
6-18-17, 7:51am
Trump and congress will do enough damage and it won't be prevented of that we can be pretty sure. But I guess we should count our blessing if he doesn't literally blow up the world or something ... (I suspect there are checks and balances there but checks and balances where it actually matters like that aren't talked about much).