PDA

View Full Version : Amazon's prices going up and down

CathyA
8-25-17, 9:25am
I guess it's sort of like gambling. If I see the price going down on something I want, it's hard to know when to buy it, because it can suddenly go up. But recently, I bought something and it continued to go down by several dollars. I guess it's just a gamble.
One thing I bought went down several dollars the very next day. I knew they wouldn't give me a price adjustment, but they did give me a $5.00 courtesy credit!.....which was more than what I was asking for.

It happened again yesterday and I wonder how many times they'll do that?! I guess it wouldn't hurt to try.

ToomuchStuff
8-25-17, 9:54am
For me it isn't about gambling. Do I need or want the item? Is it a fair price? Have I also checked elsewhere, is it the lowest price?
Often, books or movies, I would buy used (books frequently for $.01 + $3.99 shipping), because they are easily had for less then Amazon's "free shipping" price.

There are sites like camelcamelcamel dot com, to help you track prices, or you can just add them to your cart, then save them for check out later and watch them. I do that with cd's, as about once a year, I go on a binge run (typically $100) and get more music (which I digitize for home and rotate cd's in the vehicle).
But it isn't the Amazon of old. No price mixes, where you buy x, y and z and end up getting them for nearly free (tools several years ago), and their "prime" stuff doesn't support my choice of OS for watching video's, along with POing the mail carriers and I really generally don't need stuff that quick. I have needed and used prime as a trial, once to get something for work, that was out of stock at all the normal sites. Otherwise I can send a package to a commercial/business address, and get what I want quicker then having it shipped home.
Don't blame the tool for the user!

iris lilies
8-25-17, 9:58am
I dont worry about getting the rock bottom price on anything, it just isnt worth the brainspace to me. I dont consider that an important part of simplicity. It is far more important to choose wisely the thing you (generic you) DO buy. Certanly price paid is one aspect of frugality, but only one.

I have a friend who always shops "sales" and seems to place importance on some sort of "discount," but that friend is still working and cant afford to retire. I dont think that philosophy serves her well, especially since she puts everything on a credit card and pays a minimum each month. Any money she "saved" is eaten up by interest.

I use "saved" in quotes because no one actually saves money by buying stuff.

CathyA
8-25-17, 2:55pm
Yeah, it probably is a waste of my life's energy to worry about a few dollars. I think I'll quit doing it. :)

catherine
8-25-17, 3:06pm
I dont worry about getting the rock bottom price on anything, it just isnt worth the brainspace to me. I dont consider that an important part of simplicity. It is far more important to choose wisely the thing you (generic you) DO buy. Certanly price paid is one aspect of frugality, but only one.

I have a friend who always shops "sales" and seems to place importance on some sort of "discount," but that friend is still working and cant afford to retire. I dont think that philosophy serves her well, especially since she puts everything on a credit card and pays a minimum each month. Any money she "saved" is eaten up by interest.

I use "saved" in quotes because no one actually saves money by buying stuff.

I think you are spot on. My philosophy exactly. The time I've seen people spend clipping coupons (which are a thing of the past now, anyway) for a few cents on processed foods that are probably making you ill. I'll save that money and put it towards decent, healthy food. Or people who buy 5 shirts on sale. I'll pay full price (well, maybe not FULL price, but I won't be THAT price conscious) for one shirt. I read a simple living blog article recently about someone who feels that each item of clothing you pay for should be $150. Sounds crazy, can't remember the reasoning to be honest,* but he made a good point. I think it was really about choosing mindfully vs unconsciously consuming.

*Gotta love Google. I found the article (https://qz.com/507904/your-next-item-of-clothing-should-be-so-expensive-it-hurts/). What do you think?

bae
8-25-17, 3:09pm
One thing I've noticed about Amazon - they serve as the storefront for lots of vendors selling the exact same goods.

Often the first choice you have offered isn't necessarily the cheapest - there's a small link on the item page saying something like "This item also offered by 872 other vendors" - if you click on that link, you can see all the Amazon pricing options.

Sometimes the first page they offer isn't even Amazon-sold, so they sometimes overprice or undercut their own offerings.

Anyways, if it's an item of any significant price, I always click on the other-sellers link to see what the deal is, there are sometimes huge variations.

There are also some browser plugins that do that work for you, I've not messed with them

mschrisgo2
8-25-17, 4:45pm
I'm beginning to really dislike Amazon. The constant price changes are one issue, another is having them substitute items, and another is having things delayed for weeks when they were supposed to be 2-day shipping. I detest having to make returns! Huge waste of my time, and some times funds. Ordered a couple of summer clothing items, when they didn't arrive after 5 weeks, I had to make a time consuming phone call to get my refund. I was going to buy lopers, but they increased the price by $8. Happened by Harbor Freight yesterday; browsed while my friend purchased, ended up buying lopers for $7.99! So glad I did not pay $18.99 on Amazon!!!

CathyA
8-25-17, 8:08pm
I've had very good luck with DH's Amazon prime. Very seldom has it not arrived in 2 days. I only had to return something once and it wasn't a problem. I don't know if the good service is because I live about 10 miles from an Amazon distribution hub. (unfortunately)......out in the country. But I guess if I don't like it there, I shouldn't be buying from them. :(

JaneV2.0
8-25-17, 9:23pm
I have no complaints about Amazon. If there's something I like that IMO is too expensive, I look around, compare prices, and buy elsewhere or wait awhile until the price goes down. I love their locker system, as well as the Kindle PC app, Amazon Prime, and now their acquisition of Whole Foods.

iris lilies
8-25-17, 11:43pm
I think you are spot on. My philosophy exactly. The time I've seen people spend clipping coupons (which are a thing of the past now, anyway) for a few cents on processed foods that are probably making you ill. I'll save that money and put it towards decent, healthy food. Or people who buy 5 shirts on sale. I'll pay full price (well, maybe not FULL price, but I won't be THAT price conscious) for one shirt. I read a simple living blog article recently about someone who feels that each item of clothing you pay for should be $150. Sounds crazy, can't remember the reasoning to be honest,* but he made a good point. I think it was really about choosing mindfully vs unconsciously consuming.

*Gotta love Google. I found the article (https://qz.com/507904/your-next-item-of-clothing-should-be-so-expensive-it-hurts/). What do you think?

If the recent common wisdom is correct that fast clothes represent a huge source of waste, then yeah, buying higher quality clothng is a good idea. But that pretty much cuts the fashion industry way way down.

sweetana3
8-26-17, 8:44am
Never heart the title "fast clothes" until last night on Project Runway. Makes sense. Buy, wear, throw away and start again in a short period of time. I always thought what a waste. Maybe it was more about my hatred of shopping for clothes instilled in me as a child with the total embarrassment of shopping with mom and grandmother.

However, I cannot remember ever buying myself something that was $150. Maybe once I spent that much on multiple pieces. But then, I dont dress fashionably, wear tshirts, sweatpants and yoga pants at home, and wear things out. My single fancy evening outfit is an Indian embroidered set which is covered in gold embroidery and is wrinkle free. $20 on ebay. Used to have a Halston tissue chiffon topper but it was a garage sale find. Finally donated it since it was not packable.

Tybee
8-26-17, 11:39am
I looked at the 150 dollar clothing blog and it left me unimpressed. Since I buy things like t shirts and shorts, and spend my life gardening, walking dogs, and going to the library, it seemed pretty irrelevant. In no world would I ever need to pay 150 dollars for a t shirt. I try to buy clothes at the thrift shop anyway.

Now I can see that for something like a coat--buy better quality for something that lasts years. But I wear most of my clothes out and have to throw them away at the end of their usefulness, so this would not apply to me very well.

CathyA
8-26-17, 12:00pm
As far as clothes......or many things, I don't get why we all can't wear things until they fall off. Maybe I just never felt good in certain clothes, shoes, etc.........but why concentrate on external things? Let's build up our self esteems from the inside.
Was it the rulers and high society people who set these "standards"? I've had the same dishes for about 35 years. Some have chips, cracks, stains.....but why throw them away? Why do we have to "look" perfect, at the expense of the environment?
What's wrong with anything, as long as it's clean? And as far as "wear a couple times and throw away".......don't we have a garbage problem? Don't we have floating plastic islands in the oceans? Don't we have contaminated air and water? We just don't need what we think we need......... (myself included).

Just wondering.......

ApatheticNoMore
8-26-17, 12:32pm
She has to really go out of her way to find clothes costing $150 I'd figure, because almost no new clothes do these days. But I guess she likes high fashion labels.

I find all the extreme positions pretty impractical in the real world, yes you could be her if you are a clothes horse and spend a lot of time thinking about clothes (which strikes me as incredibly boring but ...). You could just not care about your external appearance at all but the rest of the world still does. There is probably something to dressing for success, I've just always tended to more casual than to ever really make work (I don't wear jeans or anything, so I'm not *that* casual, but I am pretty casual, luckily my work places have all been fairly casual even if they try to have a stricter dress codes. There probably is an advantage to exceeding the dress code but it just really doesn't come easy to me even when I try).

ToomuchStuff
8-28-17, 1:01am
I once spent close to that on some shoes for work. While they were technically required, I was informed that don't wear then on that job, as the safety aspect (steel toes) would cause one to get burns. (paving)
I wore then to my second job (part time) and in less then 30 days, they were falling apart, and looked worse then my 6 month old Payless shoe store shoes. Never bought from them again, and have a fear of expensive shoes.

JaneV2.0
8-28-17, 8:39am
I once spent close to that on some shoes for work. While they were technically required, I was informed that don't wear then on that job, as the safety aspect (steel toes) would cause one to get burns. (paving)
I wore then to my second job (part time) and in less then 30 days, they were falling apart, and looked worse then my 6 month old Payless shoe store shoes. Never bought from them again, and have a fear of expensive shoes.

I bought a pair of (for me) expensive Italian shoes with part of my first-ever paycheck. They're the only shoes I ever wore out when my toe rubbed a hole in the upper. I'm with you re expensive shoes; buy them for style or fit if you like, but don't expect them to last any longer than cheap ones.

CathyA
8-28-17, 10:03am
I keep thinking of all the stuff that goes into landfills. :(
I know leather probably degrades, but....think of all the parts of shoes that aren't more natural.

JaneV2.0
8-28-17, 10:24am
I keep thinking of all the stuff that goes into landfills. :(
I know leather probably degrades, but....think of all the parts of shoes that aren't more natural.

Much for future anthropologists to contemplate.
Or they can just be made into fuel.

nswef
8-28-17, 11:22am
I did buy a pair of Mestphiso sandals and wore them nearly every day, summer and winter for 7 or 8 years. I only got rid of them after a weird foot infection that could have been chemical or bacterial and the wound person said get rid of the sandals in case they carried the bacteria if that's what it was. They still had good wear in them.

CathyA
8-28-17, 11:41am
Much for future anthropologists to contemplate.
Or they can just be made into fuel.

Yeah, DH wondered once if all our garbage/plastics, etc., would eventually deteriorate into something useful in a few thousand/million years.... That would be nice, I guess.

CathyA
8-28-17, 11:44am
I did buy a pair of Mestphiso sandals and wore them nearly every day, summer and winter for 7 or 8 years. I only got rid of them after a weird foot infection that could have been chemical or bacterial and the wound person said get rid of the sandals in case they carried the bacteria if that's what it was. They still had good wear in them.

Wow! Did you have separation anxiety? ;) Unfortunately, I have to change my New Balance more often than necessary because of my funky legs/feet.....and I change their shape, which messes up my legs/feet further. But.......my other clothes I wear are falling apart. I save my "good" stuff for when I go out. That means my good jeans and my pocket tees that don't have holes. :)

JaneV2.0
8-28-17, 12:55pm
You know that old saw "You can't take it with you?"
I'm planning to take my shoe collection with me. I'm on the ancient Egyptian golden boat death plan...:~)

CathyA
8-28-17, 1:43pm
You know that old saw "You can't take it with you?"
I'm planning to take my shoe collection with me. I'm on the ancient Egyptian golden boat death plan...:~)

:laff:

Gardnr
8-28-17, 3:45pm
I don't shop much but I do buy in town not online. At least buying here (chain or not), puts $ into my own community, employs someone feeding them/paying their own bills....not to mention no generating trash of boxes/packing material.

I personally hate to see the world shift to online shopping...and it has created so much more shopping and debt. I find very little positive in online shopping frankly.

JaneV2.0
8-28-17, 4:10pm
I do the bulk of my shopping (except groceries) on line, for logistical reasons. I'm eternally grateful Amazon is a local company for me, and I also use eBay and Etsy (small independent sellers).

Interestingly, I bought a couple of items at a local Ace Hardware recently, and was appalled at the quality. Fortunately, I can buy my usual brand .... at Amazon.

happystuff
8-29-17, 5:31pm
I will look for things on Amazon and then jump over onto Ebay to see if I can get it cheaper and with free shipping (no, I do not have Prime!). I'm not really buying much these days, but did need the choir score for the Messiah and found it way cheaper on Ebay with free shipping.

CathyA
8-29-17, 8:58pm
Speaking of eBay......do any of you worry about getting bedbugs in anything used? I suppose that goes for roaches too, but bedbugs are hell to get rid of. DD got them in a house she and a couple other girls rented awhile back. We're sure they were there beforehand, but weren't told. It was hell for her. She was bedridden for several days because of severe vertigo (almost non-existent vitamin D level), and just had to let them bite her. But she rallied and would wash her linens every single day, and wash and dry every cloth thing she owned and packed them away in new sealed plastic containers. She would freeze books, etc. I bought her a special steamer to kill bedbugs. It was a nightmare and I would make her go through special procedures when she came home. Sorry, I digress. But I've been reading about people who got them from an eBay purchase. So......I'm extra cautious there. Sorry for the awful story. :~)

ToomuchStuff
8-30-17, 12:44am
Speaking of eBay......do any of you worry about getting bedbugs in anything used?

I would venture a guess, it would depend on the types of stuff you get off of Ebay. For me, it has typically been items made of metal (specialty tools I don't want to pay retail for, a lawn mower part, etc).
Now maybe if I was stupid enough to order a bed frame that is metal and can be had for $10 or less, locally.:~)

Ultralight
8-30-17, 7:34am
Speaking of eBay......do any of you worry about getting bedbugs in anything used? I suppose that goes for roaches too, but bedbugs are hell to get rid of. DD got them in a house she and a couple other girls rented awhile back. We're sure they were there beforehand, but weren't told. It was hell for her. She was bedridden for several days because of severe vertigo (almost non-existent vitamin D level), and just had to let them bite her. But she rallied and would wash her linens every single day, and wash and dry every cloth thing she owned and packed them away in new sealed plastic containers. She would freeze books, etc. I bought her a special steamer to kill bedbugs. It was a nightmare and I would make her go through special procedures when she came home. Sorry, I digress. But I've been reading about people who got them from an eBay purchase. So......I'm extra cautious there. Sorry for the awful story. :~)

I checked out a book from the Phoenix public library back in 2011 when I was livin' in the 85006.

I set it on my coffee table for a couple hours. Then I took it into the bathroom for some reading on the throne. I noticed a little brown speck fall out and land on the floor. I picked it up and realized it was a damn bed bug!

I took the book and threw it in the freezer and put the "specimen" in a small ziplock bag. I put it in the freezer too. I inspected the areas where the book was but saw nothing.

The apartment manager sent in the exterminator to look at the bug. He was like: "That there is a bedbug -- one of the damn tiniest ones I ever seen. How'd you know what it was?"

I said: "I have been scared of them for years. I did my research."

He then flipped through the book and saw a couple others in there smashed. He said: "Whoever had the book before you had one hell of an infestation."

We waited months, constantly inspecting. And in the end there was no infestation. I was really lucky. The exterminator said: "Being vigilant can pay off once in a while."

So a simple, small library book darned near infested my apartment with bed bugs. You cannot be too careful!

JaneV2.0
8-30-17, 10:01am
I've recently ordered several items of clothing from eBay, with which I've been completely satisfied. I always wash used clothing right away, and I've never had a problem with any kind of pests--from thrift stores or otherwise. It's a good thing, since most of my clothes are curated from the thrifts.

pinkytoe
8-30-17, 2:07pm
My beef with Amazon is all the cheap Chinese stuff that is so prevalent now. Trying to get this house put together (window coverings, light fixtures etc) and some of the things I have ordered have been cheap quality and labeled incorrectly. For example, I ordered what was listed as cotton curtains on website and when they arrive label says polyester and the measurements were off by a few inches. Ordered some French Arcoroc glass storage containers which I hoped to keep for life and they arrived cracked and the lids didn't fit. I am assuming they were counterfeit. Sometimes even the item description on the website doesn't make sense as if its lost in translation. I haven't had any delays in shipping with Prime but I'm not sure I am going to renew it for another year.

CathyA
8-30-17, 4:07pm
I checked out a book from the Phoenix public library back in 2011 when I was livin' in the 85006.

I set it on my coffee table for a couple hours. Then I took it into the bathroom for some reading on the throne. I noticed a little brown speck fall out and land on the floor. I picked it up and realized it was a damn bed bug!

I took the book and threw it in the freezer and put the "specimen" in a small ziplock bag. I put it in the freezer too. I inspected the areas where the book was but saw nothing.

The apartment manager sent in the exterminator to look at the bug. He was like: "That there is a bedbug -- one of the damn tiniest ones I ever seen. How'd you know what it was?"

I said: "I have been scared of them for years. I did my research."

He then flipped through the book and saw a couple others in there smashed. He said: "Whoever had the book before you had one hell of an infestation."

We waited months, constantly inspecting. And in the end there was no infestation. I was really lucky. The exterminator said: "Being vigilant can pay off once in a while."

So a simple, small library book darned near infested my apartment with bed bugs. You cannot be too careful!

EEWWWWWWWWWWW!! Bedbugs and their eggs are so very hard to get rid of. I've read that they can live for months on end without food (blood). I'm so proud of DD for working so hard to not take them to her next apartment.......which worked.
They can hide absolutely anywhere..........in electrical outlets, in seams of clothing, in book pages, in purses........absolutely everywhere. She got rid of her mattress when she moved, for sure. I'm glad you dodged the bullet UL!