PDA

View Full Version : Front entry decoration in November

razz
11-1-17, 11:39am
Looked at the other forums but none seemed to fit. November is a darker, colder month and my front entry needs some colour. It is too early for Christmas or winter decorations and the bright yellow mums are starting to fade a little. I have three round concrete urns that I keep filled and colourful. What do you do for November in your outside display that is cheerful and fairly easy to do. I will change to the ' coniferous greens of winter' arrangements in December; they last till early spring when I remove the obviously Christmassy accents in early January. Need some ideas please.

iris lilies
11-1-17, 12:20pm
Looked at the other forums but none seemed to fit. November is a darker, colder month and my front entry needs some colour. It is too early for Christmas or winter decorations and the bright yellow mums are starting to fade a little. I have three round concrete urns that I keep filled and colourful. What do you do for November in your outside display that is cheerful and fairly easy to do. I will change to the ' coniferous greens of winter' arrangements in December; they last till early spring when I remove the obviously Christmassy accents in early January. Need some ideas please.

Well, oranges and browns are the traditional colors of November decor. Pumpkins, varigated squash, browned grasses. Add accents of variegated green squash for pattern.

In November I throw my old Victorian shawl (photo attached) on our dining table, a table that has been bare for the summer. Winter is time to cozy up the place with additional fabrics and soft surfaces. I love this shawl for its brick red, dark green, burnt orange, and cream and black colors. It just speaks "fall" to me.

tomorrow I am decorating the lunch table for my garden club meeting. Wanting to stay away from traditional orange/brown, I am using dark red and purple as base colors. Since those are saturated, I plan to give contrast and relief with greenery in light tones.

For outdoor decor I love love love ornamental cabbages. It has gorgeous purple and green color and texture. Pair it with something smooth (yellow squash?) and dried grasses for height.

http://www.simplelivingforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1988&stc=1

Rogar
11-1-17, 3:04pm
We might be on the fringe of the New Mexico influence, but I've had chili ristras on porch overhangs. If you're not familiar, they are dried red chili peppers tied together into string a couple or few feet long. Being the end of chili harvest, they are common this time of year. The chili pods can be ground into a red chili for cooking. I'm thinking about getting a red chili wreath for the font door this season.

Float On
11-1-17, 4:26pm
So glad you posted. I'm looking for fresh ideas myself and was a bit disappointing in pinterest. It seems to skip from Halloween to christmas.

Love that shawl.

Yppej
11-1-17, 6:12pm
My marigolds are frost hardy enough that they are still blooming.

Teacher Terry
11-1-17, 7:55pm
IL: that shawl is really pretty. I simplified by stopped decorating the front door about 10 years ago.

Lainey
11-2-17, 11:55am
I've gotten some seasonal wreaths at the thrift store. I change these out so I hang one with greens and light florals for spring, then another with brighter colors for the summer, etc. My house colors are light grey and front door is a bronze-colored security door, so I need colors that contrast for it to stand out.

razz
11-2-17, 3:16pm
I stopped at my favourite garden centre to see what they had. I looked at some 'gazing balls' but they are 10" and I need 12" plus they will not tolerate temps below freezing which is what I need. Plus they were priced at $65 each. Yikes!

I did have a look at the dollar store but I don't like a tacky look from phoney flowers.

mschrisgo2
11-2-17, 8:25pm
I made a fall wreath of orange leaves accented with purple mums from the dollar store. $6 total, I love it, and have gotten many compliments. (had t make my own because I wanted Fall and not Halloween.)

razz
11-2-17, 9:16pm
I ended up moving the mums around in the urns and rearranging the gourds in a new basket in the entryway. I bought some of the 20" mesh ribbon that I will make into blue and white blooms tomorrow or try to anyway. If I can make some mesh blooms to insert into the sand of the urns that would be wonderful.
I like the idea of a wreath the can be designed with a seasonal accent. It is my concrete urns that need some ideas. I found some coloured stainless steel gazing balls online but they were even more expensive than the glass ones that I had looked earlier today.

Float On
11-3-17, 10:03am
Razz: do you look on pinterest? I saw urns there the other day where they used a wreath to form the base. I've got two big urns myself. So I'm thinking a fall wreath, hurricane lamp, gourds and leaves until December when I can change it up a bit for Christmas.
1989 Fall (add feathers, deer antler sheds, gourds, leaves) then for winter go with something like this 1990

This is nice love the little berry vines and use of ornamental cabbage 1991

razz
11-3-17, 10:45am
Float on, that was exactly what I had in mind but need to find the vine to work with. One urn is 12" and the other is 10". I am going out to get my winter tires put on so was going to have another look for the materials. I did look at some tall twigs but $18 for a few, maybe 9 in total, was way too costly for this thrifty shopper but there must be more options.
Thanks for posting the pictures.

Razz: do you look on pinterest? I saw urns there the other day where they used a wreath to form the base. I've got two big urns myself. So I'm thinking a fall wreath, hurricane lamp, gourds and leaves until December when I can change it up a bit for Christmas.
1989 Fall (add feathers, deer antler sheds, gourds, leaves) then for winter go with something like this 1990

This is nice love the little berry vines and use of ornamental cabbage 1991

iris lilies
11-3-17, 11:06am
I like that winter one with the lantern.

Float On
11-3-17, 11:06am
I did look at some tall twigs but $18 for a few, maybe 9 in total, was way too costly for this thrifty shopper but there must be more options.

That's me too. I'll walk around Michaels with my coupons and their sales and decide it's too much. We have wild grape vines so I'll take a walk in the woods and find what I can. I felt so guilty buying a bag of pinecones...If I'd just thought to go get some out of the windbreak while I was home at the farm last weekend!

iris lilies
11-3-17, 11:33am
I know, I cant buy grapevines, twigs, and pine cones because those are around here when I pay attention. Even deep in this urban environment I have many sources for this kind of thing. We actually have grapevines on our property, the tiny farmette, because DH grows grapes. Of course we never get any of the grapes because critters steal them. Our community garden has a big grape arbor, always a source, too.

I know the best sources for many things that are natural decor. There is a big Osage Orange tree in Tower Grove Park that throws off hu dreds of bright green balls each year. Free for the taking.

razz
11-3-17, 12:45pm
I am going grape vine hunting with my dog this afternoon. Looking at the images posted by Float On, I went to a Dollar Tree store and found some sunflowers, butterflies, kids 6" brightly-coloured sponge balls, plastic fruit, a tall candle-like carton, etc that I would have never looked at before. This afternoon is going to be fun! Thanks.
I fill my pots with play sand and an oasis and have a wonderful base. With my live greens later, I will first place a large soaked oasis and then wet the sand and the greens last a long time.

Float On
11-3-17, 12:52pm
I am going grape vine hunting with my dog this afternoon. Looking at the images posted by Float On, I went to a Dollar Tree store and found some sunflowers, butterflies, kids 6" brightly-coloured sponge balls, plastic fruit, a tall candle-like carton, etc that I would have never looked at before. This afternoon is going to be fun! Thanks.
I fill my pots with play sand and an oasis and have a wonderful base. With my live greens later, I will first place a large soaked oasis and then wet the sand and the greens last a long time.

Please post photos! I'd love to see what you come up with. I'm headed over to Dollar Tree myself after watching a few youtube Dollar Tree Christmas DIY. Then today is a perfect day to walk the woods for twigs and vines.

razz
11-3-17, 3:26pm
Not sure how to post photos any more. Different people who are more knowledgeable than me have posted about problems. What is the best way to post photos here these days? I use my iPhone for a camera.

Float On
11-3-17, 10:45pm
I tap the photo icon looks like a little tree in a frame right above the typing box and pick basic uploaded select the photo from my phone or computer and click upload.
I had to stay in town today. Didn't see anything at Dollar Tree. Went to Liwes and they had 50cent sale. Even an 8 pack of ornamental kale was 50cent! Got some viney stuff, grass,panzies, and kale. Looked everywhere and finally found reasonable lanterns at wmart. Saw some giant ornaments for $5. At the thrift shop got a cool painting of winter field trees and barn in kind of light green shades so pretty and $5 for 2.5' x 1'

Williamsmith
11-3-17, 10:55pm
In order to collect grape vines of a usable size, you are going to have to take with you a set of pruning shears. Look for hemlock trees next to over grown hedgerows. Grapes love to climb them. I used to make Christmas wreaths with my aunt, back when tv consisted of ABC, NBC, CBS and PBS. That and put together jigsaw puzzles at night. Happy hunting.