PDA

View Full Version : Argentina & Uruguay

Ultralight
11-14-17, 6:12pm
After much deliberation (with myself) I have decided to travel to Argentina & Uruguay in December.

I have never been to South America, and these two places specifically called to me.

I'll be traveling solo and minimally (with one rucksack).

The details of the trip are still to be determined...

bae
11-14-17, 6:28pm
That will be massive fun! I'd love to hear your impressions of Uruguay, I've often thought it would be a great place to live.

Ultralight
11-15-17, 6:56am
That will be massive fun! I'd love to hear your impressions of Uruguay, I've often thought it would be a great place to live.

Yes, I think it will be a great trip. Uruguay has been at the top of my list for a long time. I plan to indulge in some foods I'd otherwise abstain from -- like I will get an Argentine steak and enjoy Uruguayan asada.

But I also hope to hang out at the beach, maybe see some historical and cultural stuff.

I know enough Spanish to get into trouble and halfway out. haha

Teacher Terry
11-15-17, 11:02am
Glad to see you are doing some traveling. I did not get to do much until my late 40's. Now at 63 we are doing 2 big trips/year. Have fun!

Ultralight
11-16-17, 7:25am
Glad to see you are doing some traveling. I did not get to do much until my late 40's. Now at 63 we are doing 2 big trips/year. Have fun!

Any highlights from recent trips?

Ultralight
11-16-17, 8:15am
I told me parents I am going to South America -- Argentina and Uruguay -- and the both had a fit. My dad, very out-of-the-norm, gave me a 15 minute lecture about how screwed up those countries are -- how the cops will shake me down and lock in me jail for no reason, how everyone will try to steal from me, how druglords will kidnap me, etc.

Williamsmith
11-16-17, 8:45am
I told me parents I am going to South America -- Argentina and Uruguay -- and the both had a fit. My dad, very out-of-the-norm, gave me a 15 minute lecture about how screwed up those countries are -- how the cops will shake me down and lock in me jail for no reason, how everyone will try to steal from me, how druglords will kidnap me, etc.

Dont worry UL....if you end up in jail, Trump will arrange for your release and then you can humiliate yourself in front of the entire nation by expressing your gratitude for his benevolence.

Ultralight
11-17-17, 7:36am
Dont worry UL....if you end up in jail, Trump will arrange for your release and then you can humiliate yourself in front of the entire nation by expressing your gratitude for his benevolence.
That'd sure be nice of him!

I avoid trouble when traveling. When I was in Jordan a couple of Europeans were "debating" religious differences with a Muslim Jordanian. I kept my distance!

In Israel I came upon two demonstrations, one in the Arab part of Tel Aviv. Again, I kept my distance. I listened from afar for a couple minutes and then hightailed it out of there!

If anything like protests or trouble happens in Argentina or Uruguay I am taking prompt evasive action.

Teacher Terry
11-17-17, 12:19pm
UL: we went to both Italy and Poland twice. both places were very beautiful and full of history. WE also take cruises which I don't think would be your cup of tea. WE cruised to Alaska, New England and Canada and various Caribbean islands.

Ultralight
11-30-17, 6:03pm
I leave in less than 24 hours. I am a bit anxious...

nswef
11-30-17, 7:19pm
soon you will be there in the midst of excitement not anxiety. Have a great trip.

Ultralight
12-15-17, 5:40pm
I just got back this afternoon! Heck of trip. I went to Buenos Aires, Tigre, Iguazu, Colonia Del Sacremento, Montevideo, and Punta Del Este.

rosarugosa
12-16-17, 6:47am
That's great - you will have to tell us more! I thought we hadn't heard from you for awhile. Glad it was for a benign reason.

Ultralight
12-16-17, 11:52am
http://www.simplelivingforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=2037&stc=1http://www.simplelivingforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=2038&stc=1

catherine
12-16-17, 12:42pm
Thanks so much for sharing the pictures! They are incredible! Tell us more! I can't remember--did you travel solo? Did you meet interesting people?

Ultralight
12-16-17, 12:51pm
Thanks so much for sharing the pictures! They are incredible! Tell us more! I can't remember--did you travel solo? Did you meet interesting people?

Yes, it was solo travel. Very solo. Not many English speakers in Argentina. I met one gal from California and an Israeli along the way, so we hung out. But other than that I was on my own because of the language barrier --- which was even bigger in Uruguay. Very few people speak any English in Uruguay. I went on a few tours -- one of which was 50+ people. I was the only English speaker. I met zero Americans in Uruguay and I did not overhear or see any.

But I loved Uruguay! Buenos Aires was really fun. Iguazu was totally amazing! But Uruguay was my jam! Loved it.

Ultralight
12-16-17, 12:53pm
National dish of Uruguay, called the Chivito (I think this means little goat).
http://www.simplelivingforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=2040&stc=1