PDA

View Full Version : I ordered some veggie starters!

lhamo
5-7-11, 1:23am
The organic CSA-type farm I get a lot of our produce from is selling starter veggie plants so I decided to give it a try. I will get two cucumber plants, two pepper plants and three tomato plants from them this week. I'm so excited! I tried to start a bunch of veggies from seed last year and it didn't work. HOpe I will have more success this time. I think they will do well on the south-facing porch off my daughter's bedroom. I also want to try to get some lettuces and herbs started on the north porch -- it gets about 4-6 hours of good late-day sun, which I think should be enough.

lhamo

Rosebud21
6-15-11, 3:03pm
lhmo- A southern exposure is the second choice for seed starting. An east is the first. North and western exposures get light that is too harsh for most seedlings.

puglogic
6-15-11, 3:25pm
Hi Ihamo,

Congratulations! We always start seeds in southern windows in the winter/spring, ourselves, but with starter plants just be sure to transplant them gently into bigger containers and to water them often (especially that thirsty cucumber) and they'll do great. Much more forgiving than seeds!! :)

pug