PDA

View Full Version : The wife got a new car

dmc
11-17-17, 1:34pm
I hate shopping for new cars, but the wife wanted a suv so we got a suv. She had a mercury Milan hybrid, which cost extra at the time but is now worth less because it’s a hybrid.

And for some reason the insurance on a new BMW is actually less than I was paying for the 2010 Mercury. Not a lot, but I’ve got a refund check of around $25 coming.

She has an appointment next week with the expert at the dealership to help her set everything up and how to work all the gadgets in the car.

I sold my GE stock a few weeks ago to pay for this when I was still actually showing a small gain. It was in the low $20. So now you can expect for GE stock to bounce back and for fuel prices to rise.

Williamsmith
11-17-17, 1:50pm
I don’t think it’s fair that you can guys can afford a BMW and my wife can only afford a Toyota. Where’s my subsidy?

bae
11-17-17, 2:11pm
I don’t think it’s fair that you can guys can afford a BMW and my wife can only afford a Toyota. Where’s my subsidy?

Well, under the individual mandate of the American Auto Industry Renewal Plan, we each will be required to purchase a new American-made car every year, or pay a penalty. If your income is low enough, you may receive some subsidies or tax credits to aid in your purchase. Many states are setting up an Exchange where you can easily shop for your required new vehicle each year.

But BMWs and higher-end Toyotas won't be offered.

Alan
11-17-17, 2:16pm
Well, under the individual mandate of the American Auto Industry Renewal Plan, we each will be required to purchase a new American-made car every year, or pay a penalty. If your income is low enough, you may receive some subsidies or tax credits to aid in your purchase. Many states are setting up an Exchange where you can easily shop for your required new vehicle each year.

But BMWs and higher-end Toyotas won't be offered.

I actually expected that to happen as part of the GM bailout once Obama Care had set the precedent of requiring people to purchase products they didn't want.

Teacher Terry
11-17-17, 2:33pm
You can't compare health insurance to cars!thumbsup!

Alan
11-17-17, 2:36pm
You can't compare health insurance to cars!thumbsup!
You got me there, they are two different products. The issue is if the government can force you to buy one, nothing stops them from forcing you to buy the other.

dmc
11-17-17, 2:37pm
This one was actually built in South Carolina. And those Toyota’s ain’t cheep either.

My stock market gains were so high this year I figured I’d sell some and splurge a little.

Teacher Terry
11-17-17, 2:41pm
Sorry Alan but it is not a valid comparison.

dmc
11-17-17, 2:43pm
Sorry Alan but it is not a valid comparison.

why?

bae
11-17-17, 2:46pm
You got me there, they are two different products. The issue is if the government can force you to buy one, nothing stops them from forcing you to buy the other.

The federal government has already established that it can force me to *not* grow grain on my own farm to feed to my own livestock on that same farm. Even if the grain and the livestock never leave the state.

So they can pretty much tell us to buy iPhones if they want.

dmc
11-17-17, 2:56pm
The federal government has already established that it can force me to *not* grow grain on my own farm to feed to my own livestock on that same farm. Even if the grain and the livestock never leave the state.

So they can pretty much tell us to buy iPhones if they want.

Can’t you just get paid from the government to not farm the land, and then buy grain?

bae
11-17-17, 2:57pm
Can’t you just get paid from the government to not farm the land, and then buy grain?

I believe that is why they nailed the grain farmer, he was playing the wrong game.

ApatheticNoMore
11-17-17, 3:01pm

obviously your wife didn't marry right, she should have sold her wares to a higher bidder.

Teacher Terry
11-17-17, 3:16pm
People need health insurance but don't need a new car.

Alan
11-17-17, 3:24pm
People need health insurance but don't need a new car.
It doesn't matter what people do or do not need, the point is that we must force everyone to purchase the product we wish them to have, otherwise others will suffer. In the case of healthcare, it's the underinsured, in the case of the next GM bailout, it will be the autoworkers.
The Supreme Court has validated the government's authority to force the mandate upon us, now the government can use that authority in other areas.

Teacher Terry
11-17-17, 3:26pm
You are assuming a slippery slope that I think only people that are paranoid about government will accept. Also you don't have to buy HI because you can pay the penalty.

razz
11-17-17, 3:27pm
I really hope that you are joking about the car renewal:0!

bae
11-17-17, 3:27pm
Also you don't have to buy HI because you can pay the penalty.

That's an absurd response.

Alan
11-17-17, 3:29pm
You are assuming a slippery slope that I think only people that are paranoid about government will accept. Also you don't have to buy HI because you can pay the penalty.
That's true, so in the case of the next GM bailout, you can perhaps buy your way out of purchasing a new (government approved) car, just make sure you pay the fine because when they send armed agents to your house to collect, it may be too late. That's the mark of a truly benevolent government, don't you think?

Teacher Terry
11-17-17, 3:44pm
Alan -that is beyond ridiculous! Many jobs no longer come with health insurance and people in those jobs can't afford it.

bae
11-17-17, 3:45pm
Alan -that is beyond ridiculous! Many jobs no longer come with health insurance and people in those jobs can't afford it.

A lot of jobs don't come with housing, food, or clothing, and a lot of people in those jobs can't afford those things.

Williamsmith
11-17-17, 3:48pm
I would be satisfied if Alan just bought me a Hyundai. But please, no Fiat.

Alan
11-17-17, 3:50pm
Alan -that is beyond ridiculous! Many jobs no longer come with health insurance and people in those jobs can't afford it.Luckily, if they can't afford the insurance they can just pay the fine. I'd rather be sick at home than well in jail, but that's just me.

bae
11-17-17, 3:58pm
I would be satisfied if Alan just bought me a Hyundai. But please, no Fiat.

I love my new Fiat/Maserati!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xbtZUS3Vww

Teacher Terry
11-17-17, 4:46pm
Bae, you are not a stupid man and you know you are making a silly argument. Jobs have never come with the items you mentioned but frequently came with HI. If you leave the free market insurance system alone people with pre-existing conditions will only be able to get insurance that excludes these conditions but you already know that. I think you and Alan are just being ridiculous on purpose so done with this thread. Enjoy being annoying among yourselves.

Alan
11-17-17, 7:59pm
Enjoy being annoying among yourselves.I'm sorry you find it annoying to find that when you (the collective you) encouraged the government to assume the power to force citizens to purchase a product, you gave them the power to force you to buy anything they deem necessary to achieve a political or social goal.

I find it annoying that we've been put in this position.

iris lilies
11-17-17, 10:05pm
Bae, you are not a stupid man and you know you are making a silly argument. Jobs have never come with the items you mentioned but frequently came with HI. If you leave the free market insurance system alone people with pre-existing conditions will only be able to get insurance that excludes these conditions but you already know that. I think you and Alan are just being ridiculous on purpose so done with this thread. Enjoy being annoying among yourselves.

The Supreme Court determining that now every person who walks amongst us in these United States needs to buy a product is something I seriously cannot wrap my head around. It is completely wrong. The Supremes are WRONG. Justice Roberts is WRONG.

Pay for healthcare for all, tax everyone up the ass for it, put the country far deeper into debt, whatever. Those are stupid, short sighted decisions but they are bizness as usual in D.C. This ACA mandate and the Supreme Court decision to uphold it is a sea change. There is nothing else like it.

I am always surprised to hear that other people dont see that. It is more than annoying, it is WRONG. It is dumping tea into the port level WRONG.

Rogar
11-17-17, 10:53pm
Seems like we are mandated to pay for a lot of things not everyone likes, but somehow by someone's idea benefits our national welfare and or economy. Military spending for example.

iris lilies
11-17-17, 11:42pm
Seems like we are mandated to pay for a lot of things not everyone likes, but somehow by someone's idea benefits our national welfare and or economy. Military spending for example.
Not at all. If you dont pay income tax, you dont pay for military.

bae
11-17-17, 11:53pm

One of the reasons I, as a pacific individual, have structured my income so as to rarely pay federal income tax over the last 20 years.

Yppej
11-18-17, 6:49am

But how realistic is it for most people to not pay income tax? Or in most parts of the country to not have a car, which you are forced to buy auto insurance for? Most folks don't live in a cabin in the woods shut off from society like the Unabomber.

Rogar
11-18-17, 9:07am
Yeah, unfortunately some of us common middle class folk haven't figured out a way to avoid federal tax.

And why are BMWs better than Toyota for that matter. My friends would laugh at me if I bought a BMW.

iris lilies
11-18-17, 9:13am
But how realistic is it for most people to not pay income tax? Or in most parts of the country to not have a car, which you are forced to buy auto insurance for? Most folks don't live in a cabin in the woods shut off from society like the Unabomber.
My five year old friend pays no time ncome tax. Yet, he must have health insurance.

Rogar
11-18-17, 9:24am
One of the reasons I, as a pacific individual, have structured my income so as to rarely pay federal income tax over the last 20 years.

Do you ever feel like you're not pulling your share for other federal programs. Like National Parks and forests, funding disease research, fish and wildlife protections, or federal assistance for schools. In the perfect world it would be nice which mandates we pay for and which we don't. I can see charitable contributions covering some but never all.

bae
11-18-17, 11:12am
[COLOR=#222222][FONT=Verdana]Do you ever feel like you're not pulling your share for other federal programs.

No. What’s “my share”? I in the past have donated 90% of my capital to charitable causes that I feel have real impact, and on an ongoing basis donate 90%-ish of my income to similar efforts. I prefer to select the recipients myself, and to work with them directly to maximize the ROI.

dmc
11-18-17, 11:28am
Yeah, unfortunately some of us common middle class folk haven't figured out a way to avoid federal tax.

And why are BMWs better than Toyota for that matter. My friends would laugh at me if I bought a BMW.

We looked at the Toyota’s, along with several other makes. My wife liked the BMW best. It was not the most expensive vehicle we looked at. They are very common here.

I pay plenty of taxes, even though I have no earned income. I am able to put it off and make some years better than others, but I always pay.

Rogar
11-18-17, 12:02pm
No. What’s “my share”? I in the past have donated 90% of my capital to charitable causes that I feel have real impact, and on an ongoing basis donate 90%-ish of my income to similar efforts. I prefer to select the recipients myself, and to work with them directly to maximize the ROI.

That's a decent approach. I could wish for a similar option over what I pay in routine income taxes. I don't have a definition for my share. I suppose it is something we can live with and not feel like we are slighting our obligations to certain just causes or being selfish.

Rogar
11-18-17, 1:43pm
We looked at the Toyota’s, along with several other makes. My wife liked the BMW best. It was not the most expensive vehicle we looked at. They are very common here.

I pay plenty of taxes, even though I have no earned income. I am able to put it off and make some years better than others, but I always pay.

Possibly there is still some cow town influence here. At least out here in the city fringe BMWs still have a bit of a pretentious image, but a fancy truck the never gets used as such and might be more expensive is considered practical. I tend to go heavily with Consumer Reports reliability ratings, where Toyotas always fair very well.

Williamsmith
11-18-17, 5:25pm
Possibly there is still some cow town influence here. At least out here in the city fringe BMWs still have a bit of a pretentious image, but a fancy truck the never gets used as such and might be more expensive is considered practical. I tend to go heavily with Consumer Reports reliability ratings, where Toyotas always fair very well.

Incidentally, I love my Toyota’s...both of them.

dmc
11-23-17, 9:41am
I got a refund from my insurance company. Evidently it’s cheaper to insure a new BMW SUV than a 7 year old hybrid car. The difference in value was quite a bit.

Ill take it, but surprised.

dmc
11-23-17, 9:43am
Incidentally, I love my Toyota’s...both of them.

My sister also loves hers. We looked at the Hilander and the 4Runner, but the wife just did not prefer those.

dmc
12-2-18, 6:09pm
I hate shopping for new cars, but the wife wanted a suv so we got a suv. She had a mercury Milan hybrid, which cost extra at the time but is now worth less because it’s a hybrid.

And for some reason the insurance on a new BMW is actually less than I was paying for the 2010 Mercury. Not a lot, but I’ve got a refund check of around $25 coming.

She has an appointment next week with the expert at the dealership to help her set everything up and how to work all the gadgets in the car.

I sold my GE stock a few weeks ago to pay for this when I was still actually showing a small gain. It was in the low $20. So now you can expect for GE stock to bounce back and for fuel prices to rise.

Wow, I was just looking at the price of GE stock and it is down to around $7.5. I guess selling the stock and Buying the car wasnt the worst thing to do. And fuel prices are also still low.

Tybee
12-3-18, 8:55am
I saw that GE price this week too and went, Holy S$$$. Good call on selling and buying the car!!