PDA

View Full Version : CDC forbidden words

Zoe Girl
12-16-17, 2:11pm
I had fun with this, just posted on facebook and used every word to describe my cooking this weekend to prepare for a busy week. Ahh the satisfaction,

If it wasn't for sarcasm I would have lost my mind long before now.

razz
12-16-17, 2:53pm
I just read about this foolishness. Pretty soon, if this story is true, the White House will be telling each citizen what to think. Putin must be roaring with laughter at the success of his manipulation. How foolish does the White House believe the general public really is? Really?
I know that for the next election, Putin will be researching which party will be more readily manipulated depending who is standing for election. Maybe Canadian data mining companies will be helping him based on history to date.

This CBC http://www.cbc.ca/news/thenational/the-national-today-star-wars-jedi-brexit-sexual-assault-1.4450124 article talks about the impact of data mining on political decisions. Trump used a Canadian company as well.

Quotes:
"Data-mining and micro-targeted ads were a big part of the "Leave" campaign's Brexit success, as well as Donald Trump's 2016 presidential victory.

Now questions are being raised about the hired-gun companies who put politics on your Facebook feed.

The Globe and Mail reports that Privacy watchdogs in the U.K. and British Columbia have launched investigations into how a small Canadian firm — AggregateIQ —​ used the personal information of voters to help sway their choices in the 2016 EU referendum...
AggregateIQ, which has just 20 employees, operates from a modest second-floor office above an optician in downtown Victoria. But it reportedly played a significant role in promoting the official Leave campaign and was handsomely rewarded for its work.

Last February, the Daily Telegraph calculated that Aggregate had been paid almost $6 million by the Vote Leave campaign, more than 40 per cent of its budget, and 10 per cent of the total spent by all groups in the referendum battle.

No other company or individual received more funds, according to the U.K. Electoral Commission...
"We are concerned about invisible processing —​ the 'behind the scenes' algorithms, analysis, data matching, profiling that involves people's personal information," she wrote. "When the purpose for using these techniques is related to the democratic process, the case for a high standard of transparency is very strong."

Apparently, she is not alone.

The Wall St. Journal is reporting that special counsel Robert Mueller is probing the connections between another data-mining firm —​ Cambridge Analytica —​ and Donald Trump.

He has asked that the firm hand over emails from all employees who worked on the 2016 U.S. campaign for the Republicans.

The U.S.-based company was founded by Robert Mercer, a well-known supporter of right-wing causes and co-owner of Breitbart News. The data company also provided help to another pro-Brexit group —​ Leave.EU —​ during the referendum campaign.

The advice and support came at no cost, however, as Mercer is a close friend of prominent-Leaver Nigel Farage."

CathyA
12-16-17, 2:56pm
I heard it on the news. Just insane.......like so many other things going on with the Trump administration. How long can we tolerate such craziness?

Zoe Girl
12-16-17, 3:42pm
I just keep thinking that we have really big issues to spend time on, and we are spending time on the word embryo in documents regarding health. Maybe clean water in Flint or power in Puerto Rico. Nope,

befree
12-16-17, 8:48pm
So the agency that promotes health guidelines based on scientific evidence isn't supposed to use the phrases "science -based" or "evidence-based." Is this for real?? Come on, 2018 and 2020 elections!

Williamsmith
12-17-17, 2:08am
I heard it on the news. Just insane.......like so many other things going on with the Trump administration. How long can we tolerate such craziness?

As long as it takes to become great again.

jp1
12-18-17, 9:34am
I think williamsmith has the timing about right. We will have to tolerate this for as long as that sad turd is president.

CathyA
12-18-17, 11:30am
I have to admit, I can hardly stand to look at the man. Several times, I've come close to smashing my fist into the TV. What a disgusting........."turd" to quote jp1. (And that's not being fair to feces).

catherine
12-18-17, 11:44am
This ban is beyond ludicrous. I feel like I'm living in the Twilight Zone. So you can talk about grabbing p***y and you can say all 7 words that George Carlin in the 70s said you couldn't but you can't say "science-based" or "evidence-based"? If this doesn't make us the laughing stock of the world, I don't know what will.

I wish George Carlin were alive so I could here his take on the update on the "7 dirty words"

creaker
12-18-17, 12:08pm
This ban is beyond ludicrous. I feel like I'm living in the Twilight Zone. So you can talk about grabbing p***y and you can say all 7 words that George Carlin in the 70s said you couldn't but you can't say "science-based" or "evidence-based"? If this doesn't make us the laughing stock of the world, I don't know what will.

I wish George Carlin were alive so I could here his take on the update on the "7 dirty words"

I'm waiting to hear them ban the FBI from saying the words "meddling", "obstruction", "collusion" and "Russia".

JaneV2.0
12-18-17, 12:08pm
If I understand it correctly, this "ban" applies to grant requests and related documents--in order to make them less susceptible to the current administration's biases.

Alan
12-18-17, 12:10pm
I heard it on the news. Just insane.......like so many other things going on with the Trump administration. How long can we tolerate such craziness?It looks to me like this is a big nothing burger, with fries.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/16/health/cdc-trump-banned-words.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=first-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

It appears that someone within the CDC decided they may have a better chance of getting their budget approved if they used language they perceived not to be inflammatory to a Republican Congress. I think the headline should read "Condescending career employees use social engineering badly".

catherine
12-18-17, 12:16pm
Got it. Thanks for setting me straight. "Straight" is an OK word to use, though, right? :)

Alan
12-18-17, 12:18pm
Got it. Thanks for setting me straight. "Straight" is an OK word to use, though, right? :)

It is in my world, but you may want to check your local codes. :)

iris lilies
12-18-17, 12:55pm
It looks to me like this is a big nothing burger, with fries.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/16/health/cdc-trump-banned-words.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=first-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

It appears that someone within the CDC decided they may have a better chance of getting their budget approved if they used language they perceived not to be inflammatory to a Republican Congress. I think the headline should read "Condescending career employees use social engineering badly".
alan, you did exactly what I hoped you would do, track down the source and context of the “Order against banned words.”

The fear and loathing expressed here in hysterical levels was all over something that didnt ring true to me. But given that I still hold a shred of respect for WashPo even on a slow news Friday when they chose to release this “news” I didnt go there. Thanks for going there.

LDAHL
12-18-17, 2:33pm

"Falsehood flies, and the truth comes limping after it." - Jonathon Swift

It is the tragedy of our hysterically hyperpartisan era that the presidential censorship meme will probably garner much more creedence than the emotionally unsatisfying truth. Trump seems to have corrupted the critical thinking powers of both his supporters and detractors equally.

CathyA
12-18-17, 3:27pm
Yeah, but isn't it unfortunate that you have to leave out very direct/precise words, in order to get the Republican congress to okay funding? And wouldn't that lead to more problems, if they okay'd funding, then realized what it was really for?

Williamsmith
12-18-17, 3:36pm
Don’t look now but I think we just took a step toward being great again. We don’t accept news as fact and actively filter out fake news. Well done!

iris lilies
12-18-17, 4:24pm
Yeah, but isn't it unfortunate that you have to leave out very direct/precise words, in order to get the Republican congress to okay funding? And wouldn't that lead to more problems, if they okay'd funding, then realized what it was really for?
Except that, no one has to leave out words in order to get the Republican congress to okay funding.

LDAHL
12-18-17, 5:12pm

If you think bureaucrats haven't been pandering to what they believe to be the sensibilities of funding bodies since the dawn of civilization, you are an admirably innocent person.

If you think professional politicians are such strangers to the pandering arts that they can easily be taken in, you are an extraordinarily innocent person. Remember, these are the people who gave us the "Affordable Care Act" and the "Patriot Act".

Apparently such extraordinary people exist within the CDC. This incident says more about them than it does the GOP congress.

jp1
12-19-17, 9:36am

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/16/health/cdc-trump-banned-words.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=first-column-region®ion=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

So in other words the real problem is that someone at the CDC thinks that members of the party in charge are so anti-science that sciencey words shouldn't be used because it might upset their delicate Republican sensibilities. I'm not sure which is sadder. That they felt the need to do this, or that they probably made the right decision.

Alan
12-19-17, 9:55am
So in other words the real problem is that someone at the CDC thinks that members of the party in charge are so anti-science that sciencey words shouldn't be used because it might upset their delicate Republican sensibilities. I'm not sure which is sadder. That they felt the need to do this, or that they probably made the right decision.

Who knows what they were thinking and why? If I could spin every goofy thing someone says the way my progressive friends do, I could work for the Washington Post and present my odd musings to a gullible public who'll forever after present them as fact.

jp1
12-19-17, 10:58am
Who knows what they were thinking and why? If I could spin every goofy thing someone says the way my progressive friends do, I could work for the Washington Post and present my odd musings to a gullible public who'll forever after present them as fact.

You'd probably fit in better doing that at fox news...

Alan
12-19-17, 12:37pm
You'd probably fit in better doing that at fox news...
I remember when broadcast news was a public service, now it's all a profit center. Every outlet gives their customers whatever scandalous slant most likely to improve their ratings and ad revenue. I'm ok with all that, I just wish the consumers of slant were a little more curious.