PDA

View Full Version : Bike-alohlic

HappyHiker
5-8-11, 5:32pm
My name is Happy Hiker and I'm addicted to bicycles. Not really, just a little bit. I do enjoy my bicycles. I currently have three in my stable: a vintage Schwinn touring bike, a folding bike, and a mountain bike. I use them for different occasions. I paid under $50 for each of them used.

I so enjoy riding them on errands. We ditched one of our two cars and both ride daily around town for exercise and for shopping. We work at home, so no commute's involved.

Riding makes me feel about 12 years old. Free and carefree. I love that they consume zero fuel and give me exercise out in the fresh air. But most of all, it's that feel like a kid again that makes my day.

How about you? Do you love your bike(s)? What do you ride?

razz
5-8-11, 8:02pm
Sounds so nice to be able to do this, I am a little envious. I live 10 minutes out of town on a busy highway so a bike is not an easy option for me

fredx
5-8-11, 8:32pm
I just own one bike, but it's my only vehicle (no car in our household). I give the bike plenty of love on a regular basis, and it treats me very well indeed! We ride year-round for everything we do; the only difference in winter is the studded tires and more clothing. :D

I love the way I've heard bicycle transportation termed: "It's like golfing to work!" What a great way to live. :cool:

- Fred

kally
5-8-11, 8:32pm
I want to bike, but at over 50 I am still scared. I have a nice new old bike this year and will get it out eventually. Give me courage to do it.

HappyHiker
5-8-11, 9:56pm
Kally, I hereby grant you courage, but what makes you scared? That you haven't biked in a while? That you had a bad experience with a bike? That you live in dangerous biking territory? Surely not your age, for I am older than you...

libby
5-8-11, 10:20pm
Kally I am sending you "courage vibes". Honestly you do not know what you are misssing. Just like a previous poster said riding a bike makes me feel like I'm twelve again. I am 50 and I love riding my bike as much as I can.

davidmcowan
5-10-11, 9:40pm
Kally, where are you located? Some cities hold beginner bicycling for adult classes that I've heard are absolutely fantastic. I might be able to help you run one down.

ctg492
7-6-11, 6:45am
Oh I so Agree with you! I ride as much as the Mi weather allows. As I ride I think to myself how great things would be if more people rode to and from the daily places they have to go. I have yet to meet a grumpy biker. Everyone smiles, perhaps waves and says hello, unless they are racers. I put my bag or two of groceries in my panniers or basket and watch the same amount of bags go into the Car in the lot. Rain, well I have rain gear I carry. Cold, I have insulated shoes and clothes. Snow, I am done no riding I whimp.
I ride a Trek, two of them actually. One for daily rides and one hooked to a bike trailer and jumbo basket for groceries.

pinkytoe
7-6-11, 9:16am
Many cyclists where I live have a bad reputation. We have dedicated bike lanes on the nearby boulevard yet the bikers arrogantly race through the stop signs at intersections, ride three and four abreast, etc. Quite often, there are auto/cyclist incidents where someone without a helmet gets their head scrambled or a limb amputated. That being said, I would love to get an old cruiser and just amble around the neighborhood for errands. The busy roads would scare me though as cars rule around here.

HappyHiker
7-6-11, 11:59am
Pinkytoe, I hear you! Sometimes I think we bikers need to pass a safety test before we're allowed our two wheels...I live in a tourist town and I see things that make me cringe--large groups of bikers spread out on both side of our narrow roads, impeding all traffic, riding on the wrong side of the road, turning without signaling our intentions so motorists are surprised, and yes, ignoring stop signs and traffic lights at will---it makes no sense to challenge a car or truck while on two wheels (the rule of tonnage) so I do hope all of us know how to bicycle safely...and teach others how to do so, too!

fidgiegirl
7-6-11, 3:05pm
How funny that this thread was resurrected today, on the first day that we fired up the bikes and went for a whirl. We ran five errands, enjoyed the sunshine, raised our heart rates, got stinky, and enjoyed ourselves. We live in such a safe and bikeable neighborhood that I'm almost embarrassed that we don't do this more often. Oh well, at least we did it today! We might go to Target in a little bit. The roads are a little busier that direction but it's not far.

herbgeek
7-6-11, 3:51pm
This thread inspired me to take my bike out today, to our local tourist attraction- a re-created colonial village. This is not a safe bike riding area: 4 lane divided highway with no shoulders to cross and cars doing 50+ mph, so I rode on the sidewalk which I know I'm not "supposed" to do, but it was much safer for both me and the traffic. The tourist attraction (not surprisingly) had no bike racks, so I parked behind the security building (with their blessing).

We usually bike ride on paved bike paths or on local, not-heavily-trafficked roads. I'd love to be able to do my errands on the bike, but every time its taking my life in my hands crossing this kind of fast moving heavy traffic.

HappyHiker
7-6-11, 9:18pm
Happy to hear about your recent two-wheeled adventures in biking..sometimes I envision a more perfect world (like Holland?) where there are dedicated bike lanes that allow bike riding to be safe and fun for all of us...perhaps that day will come to us if the price and availability of fossil fuels continue to rise. Not to mention car prices which continue to astound me--new car prices, that is. We paid $30,000 for our first home in San Francisco, now cars can cost that and more. Amazing. Makes my small stable of three bikes seem such a huge bargain.

Wouldn't we be healthier people on the whole if we spent more time bicycling and out in the fresh air? Sometimes I get teased for the amount of bike riding I do and I often people say, "I saw you on your bike and waved to you but you didn't wave back.." I just tell 'em "I was in the zone and too blissed out to notice you, sorry!"

Though aware and cautious of traffic, I'm more noticing flowers, bunnies and potholes more than who's passing me in their car.

bicyclist
7-8-11, 12:43pm
I also love riding my bicycles of which there are three; a touring model, a hybrid bike and an old road bike. I estimate that I have ridden 29,000 miles on them over 14 years. Sounds impressive? But it is only riding an average of 40 miles per week (40x52x14) over that period.

Mainly, I have taken day long rides for recreation and short rides to complete errands or visit friends. Occaisionally I have done overnight trips to and from the next county. Often I have ridden to Valley Forge National Park which is about 20 miles each way from home and Washington's Crossing on the Delaware River which is a bit further.

There is a bit of an intimidation factor for adults returning to bikes. A suggestion from me is to take your bike to a bike shop for a tune up! When you are there, ask about safe and easy places to ride nearby, a park or a quiet street which does not carry much traffic. The so-called "cul du sacs" are often good places to ride due to there being little through traffic.

And don't forget to wear a helmet! Sincerely, Bicyclist

Greg44
7-8-11, 1:22pm
I love riding my bicycle also, especially this time of year. There is something about getting around town on your own power! I see so much more when on my bike. I have nothing fancy, a Schwinn "Frontier", but it gets me around town just fine. I covet those skinny wheeled bikes - they go so much faster. One guy always passes me on the way to work - like I am riding my tricycle in the bike lane! Show off! :~)