PDA

View Full Version : Sewing again, it's winter

BikingLady
1-23-18, 7:23am
I started making my own bias tape. Seems to easy, matching and just one less thing to buy. I bought a bias tape maker off ebay, but actually found a needle on the iron board cover works better.

Next my projects have worked out and I am so pleased! I have made my favorite clothing item in a few styles and colors and fabrics. I love the long dress hoodie styles. I actually never worked with a French Terry Knit, suer easy and forgiving fabric.

I have found some great help sites on line and youtube. Fabric.com too.

Digital Patterns, your thoughts? Are they better? I am thinking easy fast way to get pattern to me at my 4am shopping online, but the ink amount needed I cringe at. I am a Don't use printer unless really needed as I hate buying ink lady.

Funny but me stepping into a place like Joanne Fabics brings back the terrible memories of sitting waiting nothing to do at 8 years old for Mom to shop for fabric and then the pinning event! So online is great for me.

Tybee
1-23-18, 7:31am
I started making my own bias tape. Seems to easy, matching and just one less thing to buy. I bought a bias tape maker off ebay, but actually found a needle on the iron board cover works better.

Next my projects have worked out and I am so pleased! I have made my favorite clothing item in a few styles and colors and fabrics. I love the long dress hoodie styles. I actually never worked with a French Terry Knit, suer easy and forgiving fabric.

Digital Patterns, your thoughts? Are they better? I am thinking easy fast way to get pattern to me at my 4am shopping online, but the ink amount needed I cringe at. I am a Don't use printer unless really needed as I hate buying ink lady.

Funny but me stepping into a place like Joanne Fabics brings back the terrible memories of sitting waiting nothing to do at 8 years old for Mom to shop for fabric and then the pinning event! So online is great for me.

I had forgotten that part of childhood, standing around getting things pinned. Wow. Lots of hemming with a lock stitch hem.

Can you share a good source of online patterns that you like? I want to start sewing for my granddaughters. Let them stand around for hemming, haha.

flowerseverywhere
1-23-18, 7:41am
Not a garment but my latest sewing project. Currently 66” square. Getting there. These are Farmers wife blocks in a set I made up

http://www.simplelivingforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=2074&stc=1

Tybee
1-23-18, 7:58am
Oh, Flowers, how gorgeous!
Bikinglady, can you put in a picture of one of the hoodie dresses? that sounds so neat and practical.

JaneV2.0
1-23-18, 8:55am
Lovely, intricate quilt!

I'm enthralled with the idea of sewing--to the extent that I drool over machines and have been known to haunt fabric stores. The reality of it, not so much. I envy anyone who can sit down and sew up a wearable garment.

BikingLady
1-23-18, 11:36am
Patterns I have been watching Butterick/McCalls/Vouge for sales on patterns. Indiesew.com I got a couple I am waiting on in the mail. wwwearables.com I have gotten a few good tips like needle sizes and tension. Pics I will post soon. Flowers love the quilt! that takes talent.

I so want to be a seamstress and make wonderful outfits, I however am just an easy sew lady. OK the pull on pants first winter project, pockets in backwards :( First top would fit someone three times my size. Next top is pretty, I just have to pointy of darts. SO I was thrill to accomplish the Hoodies!

BikingLady
1-23-18, 11:37am
Oh yes all those pinning evenings in the summer as Mom was getting school clothes ready for me. Too funny I remember thinking why do I have to have the same shirt in 4 colors! I know why now.

iris lilies
1-23-18, 12:01pm
Not a garment but my latest sewing project. Currently 66” square. Getting there. These are Farmers wife blocks in a set I made up

really pretty!

iris lilies
1-23-18, 12:05pm
Lovely, intricate quilt!

I'm enthralled with the idea of sewing--to the extent that I drool over machines and have been known to haunt fabric stores. The reality of it, not so much. I envy anyone who can sit down and sew up a wearable garment.

I am going through an asperational crafting period where I have decided that I will embellish clothing. Make it
fashionable, ya know? Because I am such a fashion leader. Haha.

So I bought 4 articles of clothng at Goodwill with the intent to merge them and end up with two items.

All intent, no action so far. I just need to hire an assistant to carry out my ideas. But lets be honest, my ideas are not original, I get them all from Pinterest.

But drop me off at Joanns Fabric store and pick me up two hours later. I can SO kill hours in the fabric shop. One thing I do like about floral design competitins is that one can incorporate fabric and no is sewing required. I have made seveal “napkins” for table settings where the fabric edges are ironed, not sewn, and no one is the wiser.

BikingLady
1-23-18, 12:36pm
http://www.simplelivingforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=2076&stc=1

BikingLady
1-23-18, 12:38pm
When Fabric.com delivers I am making two new with yoke, collar and pockets with coordinating colors and matching scarfs.

Tybee
1-23-18, 12:58pm
Bikinglady, these are so cute, and look comfy and practical--love the one in oatmeal, and you could layer a long sleeve tshirt under that in a bright color. Now where do you find this neat pattern?

iris lilies
1-23-18, 1:23pm
http://www.simplelivingforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=2076&stc=1
These are snazzy!

KayLR
1-23-18, 1:49pm
Flowerseverywhere, what a gorgeous quilt! Wow, so many pieces! I admire your diligence!

I have several unfinished projects I vow to finish this year. I tackled one this past weekend (a table runner) and it's 90% done. I have a fence rail quilt to finish the top of, then I'm taking it to the shop for quilting. It's about 50% done. when I'm done with it I will post a photo. I also buy kits for table runners and some jelly rolls and precuts from Craftsy.com.

When that's finished, I would like to sew up some knot fabric I've stashed from fabric.com---some straight pull-on skirts for summer and some knit tops.

I also have a few small projects on my to-do list which I haven't started, a flannel/minky cowl, and some placemats and napkins. I like doing quick gifty things.

Outlier here, I hate JoAnn's with a passion. Maybe it's just the ones in my area aren't well-managed, but they remind me of walking into my teenagers' rooms when I walk in there. Chaos.

There is a lovely Fabric Depot about 10 min. across the bridge in PDX that I visit when I want to feel my fabric.

flowerseverywhere
1-23-18, 3:42pm
When Fabric.com delivers I am making two new with yoke, collar and pockets with coordinating colors and matching scarfs.

very classy projects. Look great and comfortable.

CathyA
1-23-18, 4:26pm

Beautiful!!

BikingLady
1-23-18, 4:43pm
Flowers, my two neighbors Quilt along with 3 other sisters of her's. I saw yesterday they were at her house in the afternoon. I joked and said the underground stitch and bit** are there talking about the women march they all went to this weekend. How fun. I was offered to be the 5th sister, but I do not think quilting is me, looks like a great attention span is needed!

BikingLady
2-1-18, 3:21am
I made a pair of Tights yesterday. So simple and fast! I got the pattern off indiesew.com a digital pattern for under $3. coupon at Joanne's for the fabric. So far less than if I had bought winter tights. I felt "hooked' to this hobby yesterday! Here is the issue at 3 am as I sit thinking not sleeping, I was ready to go order a yard and half of a few colors to make biking tights/capris or shorts for under skirts, then it hits me I am not a lady with lots of clothes. WHY would I need several colors? But it was fun I tell myself! Oh hobbies!

Best part of this winter passion is I am not reading the crazy news at all now, the time I would have spent on my down time surfing I am sewing in my quiet place in the house. I love it.

iris lilies
2-1-18, 9:38am
Last night I quilted some magnolia leaves. They turned out not so great, unsuprisingly! Haha.

I am making a floral design for my garden club study group today and our assignment is leaf manipulation techniques. I will say this, I have never seen leaves sewn and quilted before. i think this technique will be a hit with my colleagues even if the end result needs improvement.

BikingLady
2-8-18, 6:52am
IL,
That does sound lovely.

BikingLady
2-8-18, 6:57am
Still sewing up a storm and each project has improved my skills. I am amazed with myself. I usually loose focus, interest and get mad at the results. This time I am using seam ripper and re sewing if something is not right. Yesterday a pair of sweat pants that are fitted more like leggings with small pleats. I was thrilled with the results. Headbands I whipped through 4 fast. I am supper pleased with the style and fit of these and the using up of scrap fabrics!

Today is buttonholes with the machine which I am now realizing has a problem and it is not my skill. Error shows on screen, I have watched every youtube and read the sites on help. I believe an adjustment is needed. Then buttons everywhere !

BikingLady
3-2-18, 4:14am
Mom's 1950 Singer, I have the old girl in the shop now getting a complete service. I am so excited to be sewing on it soon! It has so many attachments I am almost giddy about it:cool: I have watched every youtube on all the feet. This really has been so exciting for me. I have stopped sewing up a storm and am now focusing on hems and techniques. My Janome I do not have multi attachments for, so when the Singer comes back I will have a better practice happening.

Funny how when I start a hobby or interested in a topic and searching the net, I find so many others doing the same thing. It is so helpful and everyone loves to give tips. I found a lady's site who treadles and the sewing machine companies still make them, how fun.

razz
3-2-18, 8:15am
You are having fun exploring creatively. That is the best kind of fun!

iris lilies
3-2-18, 8:46am

I love JoAnnS and laughed about your comment of bringing back your memories of being 8 years old. For me it is the tile store, seemed like my parents were forever visiting the tile store and
I sat around being bored there.

But fabric stores I love. I could spend hours in JoAnns and was just there last week. There are rows and rows of that fleece fabric andI wonder what people use that for?

I shop for fabric for flower show competitions. I buy little bits of fabric to iron into napkin -like pieces and table runner like pieces. I dont even need to sew them since the are for display only. Flower shows allow me to indulge my addiction of fabric and dinnerware.

BikingLady
3-2-18, 3:50pm
I know! All that Fleece, what for? I bet the flower shows are great. I tried cat shows about 15 years ago, whoa that was to for me.

JaneV2.0
3-2-18, 4:17pm
I just discovered Tina Givens pattern page: http://www.sewtinagivens.com/sewing-patterns

I have no idea if her patterns are well-drafted, but oh, what lovely designs!

sweetana3
3-2-18, 5:35pm
Fleece, well most people make simple throws with tied or braided edges. Or raggy quilts. I make cat toys out of fleece. It can also be used to back a quilt. Some people sew it into vests or such.

BikingLady
3-3-18, 12:40pm
I just discovered Tina Givens pattern page: http://www.sewtinagivens.com/sewing-patterns

I have no idea if her patterns are well-drafted, but oh, what lovely designs!

Lovely. Are you familiar with Aprilcornell.com ? this looks like her catalog line of clothes.

JaneV2.0
3-4-18, 2:08pm
Lovely. Are you familiar with Aprilcornell.com ? this looks like her catalog line of clothes.

I wasn't, but I looked them up--some nice pieces there. Hope they turn up at the thrifts...:D

BikingLady
3-5-18, 6:16am
I have purchased a couple fo the aprilcornell's pieces. They are pretty, but far over priced, mine all from the clearance sections. I like more fitted clothes but there have been so many long tunic type shirts the last year and I fell into that. I am thinking of some way of making the tunics more fitted other than with a belt.

razz
3-5-18, 7:50am
I have purchased a couple fo the aprilcornell's pieces. They are pretty, but far over priced, mine all from the clearance sections. I like more fitted clothes but there have been so many long tunic type shirts the last year and I fell into that. I am thinking of some way of making the tunics more fitted other than with a belt.
Interesting observation, BL. I have tried over the past 10 years to find a short summer dress without success. I have football shoulders, flat bum and broad hips. One day, last summer when browsing downtown, I found a white summery dress with large black polkadots, on sale, with mandarin collar, princess shaping and flared skirt. It fit!!!! I have received so many compliments on it even from strangers walking on the street.

As I twirled in front of a friend, she noted that most women's clothes today have no shaping especially for the bosom area. There is a pile of fabric that is supposed to fit everyone, often with a belt or elastic. Now because my clothes last forever, I am willing to spend a little extra for clothes that have darts or shaping. They are out there but hard to find.

BikingLady
3-27-18, 1:25pm
Well I have been sewing for the winter. I have made a few pieces I would wear, many I would not, but all and all I have been learning a great deal from my mistakes. I have done better than any winter yet. Having said that, I do not feel I was meant for this, I am not crafty. That is the bottom line. I have some great ideas and read many blogs of crafty people. Nothing seems to take off in my craftiness!

Why is that????? Some like my mom seem to have been born with the knack for crafting. I guess mine got lost in the genes! I think If I worked on a new project every week eventually I would understand the way everything was suppose to workout and match together. BUT how long would this take?Oh well it is 50 and rain today so spring is close to make me be in the gardens and dirt!