PDA

View Full Version : How people survive around the world by income

Packratona!
2-14-18, 6:03pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4L130DkdOw

Wasn't sure where to post this thread, but here it goes! Enjoy!

jp1
2-14-18, 10:27pm
Wow! That was cool. I've always understood that I was at the upper end of a rich country, and now I see it bluntly spelled out in images. I didn't even see my toothbrush (a sonicare) in there. It's the best toothbrush I've ever owned by far in terms of keeping my teeth healthy, but it wasn't cheap, the refill brushes aren't cheap, and for a lot of the world even the access to stable electricity to charge it would be beyond their means.

happystuff
2-15-18, 7:58am
That was very informative. Thanks so much for posting.

rosarugosa
2-15-18, 8:44am
Yes thanks, I thought that was a worthwhile watch.

happystuff
2-17-18, 7:59am
This has really resonated with me and I find myself thinking about it alot. I wish I could get access to the entire project and pull up the comparisons she was demonstrating.

Chicken lady
2-17-18, 9:06am
https://www.gapminder.org/dollar-street/matrix?thing=Families&countries=World&regions=World&zoom=3&row=1&lowIncome=26&highIncome=15000&lang=en

happystuff
2-18-18, 7:54am
https://www.gapminder.org/dollar-street/matrix?thing=Families&countries=WorldŽions=World&zoom=3&row=1&lowIncome=26&highIncome=15000&lang=en

Thank you!!!!!

creaker
2-18-18, 1:54pm
This was interesting - as is the website. It shows how strongly economic classes do divide us by showing how homogenous we are across the world when looked at by class.

Packratona!
2-21-18, 6:41pm
Thanks for watching everyone. I thought a few at this forum would like it! A lot of food for thought. I remember what my parents told me about life during the depression. They never viewed themselves as poor, because everyone around them had the same lifestyle in terms of food, possessions, etc. So they did not feel bad. They had enough to eat, and three outfits to wear, one for church, one for school, and one for working and playing outside. They were happy. I think it is much more difficult to downscale your life when you are used to having so much. I think about how difficult it is to imagine living without a car, a closet full of clothes, a bed, sofa, all the other things in that right hand side of the video. We are constricted by all our stuff!

Summer
4-24-18, 3:24am
Well nothing new but thanks for sharing. I was living with the monthly salary around $200 when I was in Vietnam though.

happystuff
6-4-18, 7:48am
I just spent a little over a week without a refrigerator. I surprised myself at how badly I handled it. I'm not sure if part of it was knowing the situation was temporary or not. I noticed that it affected not only what and how we ate, but also the general mood of the household.

catherine
6-4-18, 9:23am
I just spent a little over a week without a refrigerator. I surprised myself at how badly I handled it. I'm not sure if part of it was knowing the situation was temporary or not. I noticed that it affected not only what and how we ate, but also the general mood of the household.

I felt the same way when we came up to the VT house before we had water or furniture. I thought it would be fun to "camp out" but even campgrounds have port-o-potties!! It was a real challenge, and my "toilet" looked a lot like the one pictured in the lowest income pictures. We lasted one night and sought refuge at my son's house.

I also would love to see a dataset overlay the shows wellbeing scores in each of those countries/income levels. People like us, way up high on that scale, sometimes also bring a prejudice to what we believe will make people happy. "Oh, that poor family, they have to heat their tea over an open fire!" Or, "That poor family, they can't even afford a real sofa-they have to sit on a stool!" I personally don't feel that those type of material differences are a meaningful predictor of happiness.

Gregg
11-29-18, 9:24am
I felt the same way when we came up to the VT house before we had water or furniture. I thought it would be fun to "camp out" but even campgrounds have port-o-potties!! It was a real challenge, and my "toilet" looked a lot like the one pictured in the lowest income pictures. We lasted one night and sought refuge at my son's house.

I also would love to see a dataset overlay the shows wellbeing scores in each of those countries/income levels. People like us, way up high on that scale, sometimes also bring a prejudice to what we believe will make people happy. "Oh, that poor family, they have to heat their tea over an open fire!" Or, "That poor family, they can't even afford a real sofa-they have to sit on a stool!" I personally don't feel that those type of material differences are a meaningful predictor of happiness.

Very cool video.

I'd also be interested in the well being comparison.

catherine
11-29-18, 11:50am
Thanks for sharing. This is why I don't worry that much about money. The biggest worry I have is the chance that I come to believe that all these things I take for granted are "essential" for life--i.e., "The lifestyle to which I've become accustomed." That's when I'll be in real trouble. As for now, I know I can do with less. "The things that I prize like the stars in the skies all are free."

happystuff
11-30-18, 7:26am
I think this is a good time of year for this thread to be revived. It's a reminder I need right now. Thanks.